Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 28th December 2016, 01:31 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Default Health & Happiness

One intelligent and wise human once said, "Happiness is a strange concept. The ultimate goal shouldn't be happiness. Goals can include to earn X amount and achieve Y objects but happiness cannot be a goal - it is vague."

Then when I asked about health, he replied "Health too is vague. You can aim to eat less fat and lose weight but you cannot aim to be healthy all the time."

I would like anyone's opinions on that.
Old 28th December 2016, 02:11 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Health & Happiness

What do you think Az?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28th December 2016, 02:14 PM

Personally, I'd counter argue: happiness and health are all very imperative goals. I should aim to be happy whereby I solve the problems and achieve something important; and I should aim to be healthy always.
Thank EbonyBreeCaple thanked this post
Old 28th December 2016, 09:05 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
Personally, I'd counter argue: happiness and health are all very imperative goals. I should aim to be happy whereby I solve the problems and achieve something important; and I should aim to be healthy always.

And both, health and happiness, are goals that sometimes may seem impossible. Elusive. And other times they are goals which are easy to achieve, simple things really. And sometimes getting them and keeping them may be out of our control.
Often they go hand in hand. It is easier to be healthy if we are happy, as far as we can control our own health, and perhaps easier to be happy if we are healthy.
It is a very interesting topic Az, a good one. I look forward to more thoughts and contributions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28th December 2016, 09:50 PM
AFA Member

I reckon happiness can be overrated. Not that the state isnt desirable but just that the lack of it can sometimes create a self degenerating complex that can spiral into depression. 'Whats wrong with me? Why arent i happy?'

There's nothing wrong with melancholy, introspection, sadness. They can be states of being that are actually quite rich and fulfilling, in the right measure.

I dont pursue happiness. If i feel it, thats cool but its not a goal for me.
Old 28th December 2016, 11:01 PM

Happiness is a "Kong Foo Sing"
Old 29th December 2016, 01:09 AM

Quote:
One intelligent and wise human once said, "Happiness is a strange concept. The ultimate goal shouldn't be happiness. Goals can include to earn X amount and achieve Y objects but happiness cannot be a goal - it is vague."

Then when I asked about health, he replied "Health too is vague. You can aim to eat less fat and lose weight but you cannot aim to be healthy all the time."

I would like to know who said it.

Kind of odd to be discussing someone's words when you don't know who that someone is.
Old 29th December 2016, 07:10 AM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

I think being content is the only worthwhile aim, as it takes a fair degree of acceptance of what is unavoidable. Trying to be 'happy' too often translates as a pursuit of 'things' that will make us happy. While there may be some joy when a particular goal is achieved, that rarely translate into something more than fleeting. Happiness is where you find it, and it can happen when you least expect it.

Enjoy it for what it is, it appears where you least expect it and visits a while. Happiness is pretty much a fur seal squashing a car in Newstead.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Like Mjt, SEG liked this post
Old 29th December 2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Spearthrower said View Post
I would like to know who said it.

Kind of odd to be discussing someone's words when you don't know who that someone is.
I can only PM you not disclose here. I'm afraid that he's close to me and one relative whose name I must not disclose, to secure my identity online. Sorry but I can't tell.
Old 29th December 2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:

You could also aim to eat more fat and lose weight, as I do. The idea of blaming most of our health issues on the consumption of too much fat (or, more recently, carbs) is becoming outdated.

On the subject of happiness: happiness is incredibly elusive. It seems to me like we spend a lot of time chasing something that we think will make us happy and not enough time just being happy to be alive, happy to be loved, happy to have fun, happy to learn and grow, or even just being happy that we made it this far.

Last edited by 142857; 29th December 2016 at 12:41 PM.