Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Getting started

Getting started New to atheism or still in the process of removing those final theistic indoctrinations?

Old 23rd September 2016, 10:40 AM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Default Homage to Richard Dawkins

I want to pay homage to Richard Dawkins for his elucidatory book, The God Delusion, and his attempts to distil the importance of evolution, i.e. Charles Darwin's The Origin of Species.

Thus, as an aspiring architect, I have the zeal to do their works artistic justice, such as designing Redacted. Please peruse my website, on novels Redacted (pp.108+) where I'm story-writing one last sixth novel of this novelistic compendium in order to convey the moral significance of evolution, within the hands of Redacted of the Redacted. Anyway, regardless, I want to express my gratitude for the intellectual elucidation on evolution at a slightly advanced level to Richard Dawkins via my future architectural design project - due to be commissioned with Australian's governmental sanction - the question remains is how to contact, meet with Richard Dawkins in person and then go from there to sign the contract...

White Tree is my architectural design concept, whatever the building type be it zoo, green house, pavilion, ECOLOGY MUSEUM (museum that is used to educate younger generations including students on excursions to explore the wonders of Australia's fauna and flora - and the dark story is one counter-argument with that bastardised Noah's Ark ever built by their unsolicited architect!) or even birds' sanctuary, all yet in the distinctive scheme of selective landscape-architectural qualities that supplement the overall architectural edifice.

Stevebrooks and Darwinsbulldog, kindly advise on how I should get started.

Thanks, you two venerated AFA forum acquaintances,

Sincerely

Last edited by wolty; 5th November 2016 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Removing identifying features as requested
Like stevebrooks liked this post
Old 26th September 2016, 09:28 AM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Default Re: Homage to Richard Dawkins

Interesting that you choose to build mythological art on top of science.

I would like to recommend another of Richard Dawkins books to you, Unweaving the Rainbow.

Quote:
Unweaving the Rainbow (subtitled "Science, Delusion and the Appetite for Wonder") is a 1998 book by Richard Dawkins, discussing the relationship between science and the arts from the perspective of a scientist.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Thank Azurisan21 thanked this post
Old 26th September 2016, 11:34 AM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
Interesting that you choose to build mythological art on top of science.

I would like to recommend another of Richard Dawkins books to you, Unweaving the Rainbow.
Excellent! I'm going to open the book by this title from my bookshelves!
Old 8th October 2016, 09:43 PM
What Me Deluded?

I'd be struck dumb if Dawkins ever got the knighthood. And why is he denied this recognition for benefit to humanity?

It is because he has become this outspoken atheist and the Queen is the head of the Church of England.

Dawkins can never be the darling of the British Establishment.
Old 1st November 2016, 10:59 PM

I reckon he'd prefer fromage to homage anyway.
Old 2nd November 2016, 11:08 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
I want to pay homage to Richard Dawkins for his elucidatory book, The God Delusion, and his attempts to distil the importance of evolution, i.e. Charles Darwin's The Origin of Species.

Thus, as an aspiring architect, I have the zeal to do their works artistic justice, such as designing "Redacted". Please peruse my website, on novels Redacted (pp.108+) where I'm story-writing one last sixth novel of this novelistic compendium in order to convey the moral significance of evolution, within the hands of Redacted of the Redacted. Anyway, regardless, I want to express my gratitude for the intellectual elucidation on evolution at a slightly advanced level to Richard Dawkins via my future architectural design project - due to be commissioned with Australian's governmental sanction - the question remains is how to contact, meet with Richard Dawkins in person and then go from there to sign the contract...

White Tree is my architectural design concept, whatever the building type be it zoo, green house, pavilion, ECOLOGY MUSEUM (museum that is used to educate younger generations including students on excursions to explore the wonders of Australia's fauna and flora - and the dark story is one counter-argument with that bastardised Noah's Ark ever built by their unsolicited architect!) or even birds' sanctuary, all yet in the distinctive scheme of selective landscape-architectural qualities that supplement the overall architectural edifice.

Stevebrooks and Darwinsbulldog, kindly advise on how I should get started.

Thanks, you two venerated AFA forum acquaintances,

Sincerely
Traditional indigenous knowledge of ecology/bioloy at an empirical level is typically very good. Ernst Mayr and his former student, Jarad Diamond noticed that in tribal areas of Papua/New Guinea. In fact, Mayr and Diamond noted that indigenous taxonomy of bird species agreed with the scientific view by over 99%.

This is not surprising because for the vanishingly small extant numbers of people still living traditional/close to nature/hunter-gatherer lifestyles, ecological knowledge was important for survival and cultural reasons [eg bird feather in head-dress].

Of course, origins and explanations of the how and why of species diversity existed were and are subject to the various creation myths rather than evolutionary theory of science, but at an empirical level, indigenous science can sometimes approach, or even rival, modern science.

Last edited by wolty; 5th November 2016 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Removing identifying features as requested
Old 3rd May 2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Traditional indigenous knowledge of ecology/bioloy at an empirical level is typically very good. Ernst Mayr and his former student, Jarad Diamond noticed that in tribal areas of Papua/New Guinea. In fact, Mayr and Diamond noted that indigenous taxonomy of bird species agreed with the scientific view by over 99%.

This is not surprising because for the vanishingly small extant numbers of people still living traditional/close to nature/hunter-gatherer lifestyles, ecological knowledge was important for survival and cultural reasons [eg bird feather in head-dress].

Of course, origins and explanations of the how and why of species diversity existed were and are subject to the various creation myths rather than evolutionary theory of science, but at an empirical level, indigenous science can sometimes approach, or even rival, modern science.
Because biology remains "look and learn".
Old 3rd May 2017, 09:48 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Madame Tarot said View Post
Because biology remains "look and learn".
As does all science!

Science without theory though, is a technology.
Old 3rd May 2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
As does all science!
Sorry for the possibly dumb question DBD, I'm not a scientist as you know.

Are not some branches of science more "Look, hypothesise, experiment, learn"?
Old 3rd May 2017, 10:43 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
142857 said View Post
Sorry for the possibly dumb question DBD, I'm not a scientist as you know.

Are not some branches of science more "Look, hypothesise, experiment, learn"?
Sure. Except theoretical physicists, which often come dangerously close to have a blind faith in maths. That is straw-manning it a little, but I think there is a grain of truth to it. To be fair, math is a powerful tool, and it's very success has caused this occasionally inappropriate faith that "math is truth".

When you get mathematical models that predict to sigma five precision or better, you can see why some folks get all goofy over math.