Go Back   AFA Forums > AFA > AFA Media Releases & Announcements

AFA Media Releases & Announcements Feel free to comment on issues the AFA is involved with.

Old 12th July 2016, 07:05 PM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

Default Media Release: MARK ‘NO RELIGION’ CAMPAIGN LAUNCHED IN THE LEAD UP TO CENSUS

Our latest Media Release can be viewed at:

MARK ‘NO RELIGION’ CAMPAIGN LAUNCHED IN THE LEAD UP TO CENSUS

(with apologies for not reproducing it as a post here, as we usually do).

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Like Blue Lightning, Stubby liked this post
Thank workmx thanked this post
Old 14th July 2016, 06:22 PM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

Default Re: Media Release: MARK ‘NO RELIGION’ CAMPAIGN LAUNCHED IN THE LEAD UP TO CENSUS

AFA President, Kylie Sturgess, has done a number of radio interviews since the launch of our national "Mark 'No religion'" advertising campaign this week.

Click below to see a list of the coverage of our campaign in the media:
http://censusnoreligion.org.au/media-coverage/

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Old 14th July 2016, 07:29 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Media Release: MARK ‘NO RELIGION’ CAMPAIGN LAUNCHED IN THE LEAD UP TO CENSUS

Loved it! Minor quibble. A [reasoning] agnostic is not necessarily someone who is a fence-sitter, and can't decide. It gives the impression that there is a 50/50 chance of gods knocking around in our universe.

All it might mean is that there is no good evidence for gods, and even worse, no good models for gods, but the claimant stops short of an absolute claim of their being no gods, which is epistemologically sound.
Old 14th July 2016, 07:38 PM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Loved it! Minor quibble. A [reasoning] agnostic is not necessarily someone who is a fence-sitter, and can't decide. It gives the impression that there is a 50/50 chance of gods knocking around in our universe.

All it might mean is that there is no good evidence for gods, and even worse, no good models for gods, but the claimant stops short of an absolute claim of their being no gods, which is epistemologically sound.
For fuck's sake, does this have to come up every time someone uses the term agnostic, in the sense that most of the populace (incorrectly) understand it?

I'm somewhat of a pedant, but I'm getting quite tired of this "I know what agnostic means better than you do" attitude.

"

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Like David Nicholls liked this post
Thank David Nicholls thanked this post
Old 14th July 2016, 08:08 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
two dogs said View Post
For fuck's sake, does this have to come up every time someone uses the term agnostic, in the sense that most of the populace (incorrectly) understand it?

I'm somewhat of a pedant, but I'm getting quite tired of this "I know what agnostic means better than you do" attitude.
I did say it was a little wrinkle, and I am sorry that I provoked an angry reaction from you. I do not assume I know shit better than you or Kylie, and I understand the need for simplication.

But there is a point where simplification, becomes a little like "dumbing-down" , and I assume our PR releases should have an educational role.

But I was just giving feedback, not dictating policy. But Ok, if you are getting tired of it, I will never comment on press releases again.
Old 14th July 2016, 08:28 PM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

Anger? More likely dismay (and a few beers under my belt)

More often than not when someone joins the forums and says they're "agnostic", something like this is immediately posted, as a "welcome".

I'd suggest that that's better left until they've become more comfortable with the forums.

"

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Like Sendraks liked this post
Old 14th July 2016, 08:35 PM

Awesome stuff. Sadly this showed up on Facebook yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/aussiemongr...type=3&theater
Old 14th July 2016, 08:44 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

That one has been doing the rounds for a while now Homosapien. It is stunning that someone believes in an all powerful god they have to make up lies to defend.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Like two dogs liked this post
Old 14th July 2016, 08:44 PM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

Quote:
Homosapien said View Post
Awesome stuff. Sadly this showed up on Facebook yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/aussiemongr...type=3&theater
That's an ongoing meme that we try to debunk where we can, as per the FAQ on our CensusNoReligion.org.au website.

"

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Like odd liked this post
Old 14th July 2016, 08:49 PM

Cool. First time I've seen it.
Especially, because my mates Christian uncle just posted it on his Facebook page today.
Thank two dogs thanked this post