Go Back   AFA Forums > AFA > AFA Media Releases & Announcements

AFA Media Releases & Announcements Feel free to comment on issues the AFA is involved with.

Old 7th June 2016, 02:12 PM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

Default AFA in the media

AFA President Kylie Sturgess was interviewed for this article on news.com.au, published on Monday June 6 2016.
Faith in the spotlight as Australians tipped to lose their religion

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Old 7th June 2016, 04:48 PM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

Default Re: AFA in the media

And following on from that, this blog post by Hemant Mehta, the Friendly Atheist:
A Slightly Reworded Census Question May Soon Shift the Balance of Religious Power in Australia

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Old 7th June 2016, 08:22 PM
Proceed at own risk

Why is Humanism listed as 'other' religion? That's bound to skew some results. Can I pick both?

Last edited by knowledge is power; 7th June 2016 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Insert pic
Old 7th June 2016, 08:45 PM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

We're not sure why the ABS does that, but note that it's listed as an example of 'Other', rather than 'Other religion'.

One of the many FAQ entries on our censusnoreligion.org.au website addresses this, viz.:
What happens if I write atheism or humanism?

According to the ABS Census Dictionary, 2011 agnosticism, atheism, humanism and rationalism are recorded as sub-categories of 'No religion'. You might as well mark the box provided: 'No religion'.

"

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Like joele liked this post
Old 8th June 2016, 12:59 AM
AFA Member

They didn't run a photo of me!! YESS!!!
Old 8th June 2016, 03:53 AM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
TokenSkeptic said View Post
They didn't run a photo of me!! YESS!!!
Genuine question: Why the jubilation?

Aside: You do a wonderful job interacting with the 4th estate. I'm deeply pleased you're our president. (Aside aside: this is not intended to disparage the efforts of previous incumbents, it's possibly even bias on my part because I know Kylie personally.

Then again, insomnia and introspection go hand in hand, and chasing one's own tail down a rabbit hole seems increasingly likely.)

@Goldenmane3

Like workmx, DanDare liked this post
Old 10th June 2016, 02:31 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Goldenmane said View Post

Aside: You do a wonderful job interacting with the 4th estate. I'm deeply pleased you're our president. (Aside aside: this is not intended to disparage the efforts of previous incumbents, it's possibly even bias on my part because I know Kylie personally.

Then again, insomnia and introspection go hand in hand, and chasing one's own tail down a rabbit hole seems increasingly likely.)
It takes time for El Jefe to hide her horns and cloven feet, so no impromptu pics.
Old 12th June 2016, 11:57 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Goldenmane said View Post

It's just... urgh. I don't want a pic of me.

Any of the proper, professional photos of me out there are usually the result of a ridiculous third of a month's wages and a discount voucher that is nearly out of date, plus a solid hour of trying to calm me down and chat to me until eventually I don't give a damn anymore out of boredom and then the photos look okay. Okay-ish. I only have enough money to choose four of what they finally offer, which is why there's the same image out there a lot.

AND THEY PHOTOSHOP THEM, which I only discovered at the second 'proper' photoshoot I did in five years, and I asked what they did to my face?!? and so I only brought three shots. Whereas the time before, it was this really cool guy who used to be a medical technician and he understood that 'sometimes you need photos for conference programs and it's an embarrassing necessity and you want to not let down the team and have done it with a selfie in poor lighting while everyone else in the program made an effort and doesn't this remind you of how you only brought shoes for the graduation ceremony and then threw them out practically unworn a year later' - and so he made an effort to do shots where I looked okay and not primpy.

Long story short, every time I see me in print, I think of someone taking a texta and drawing silly stuff on me and then using it to wrap fish, saying that I'm egotistical and primpy. And then putting it on Reddit with a crab stick poking out my nose.

So I'd rather not be photographed.

But I do enjoy doing portrait photography.

Here's some of my work, when I was 'hired' to be the school photographer in 2006 (everyone in these photos are over 20 years old by now):

I honestly don't know what happened to most of my work in storage, but I did find this image with some of my collection (one got a prize!)- all the ones with students in them are mine (there's nine of them):
Old 13th June 2016, 12:00 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
It takes time for El Jefe to hide her horns and cloven feet, so no impromptu pics.
Exactly. And it's surprising (grrrr....) how often my photo gets taken with people I interview at the radio station and how AWFUL the photo turns out, because the person who usually takes the photo... doesn't know how to take photos.

There is a way to do it properly. Making sure your subject is relaxed. Showing a genuine smile. Take a few shots. Make sure you give them time to know your frame and are able to hold and let the subject adjust so they're going to be their best... and to edit.

I know I'm not the best subject, so I think about it before I put someone in the position of being photographed. Which is why I'm fussier than most when someone takes my photo, I guess.
Like wadaye liked this post
Old 13th June 2016, 08:55 AM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

@TS - Some good pics there