Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Call to action

Call to action Call out to atheist activism on polls, news articles, petitions or other injustice. Let everyone know we have a voice.

Old 1st June 2016, 05:35 PM

Default Re: AFAs risky promotion of a "I have [No Religion]" in the upcoming Australian Elect

Quote:
TEDBUNDY said View Post
I’ve a problem with the idea of putting “No Religion” in the appropriate spot in the upcoming Australian census.

While the argument given by “The Atheist Foundation of Australia” is so to allow the government to better plan for its citizens, I don’t believe this to be the case for those (possibly, the silent majority) whose only contact with any established church is through weddings and funerals, … for they do share a common history based on (and let me call it) the “Christian Ethics” that floated in with the 1st Fleet.

This country and its people have gone to War in support of these ethics and ideals of family, friends and a ‘fairness’ based rule-of law.
Marking oneself as Christian in the census would at a minimum identify to the government the desire to continue a moderate transformation with these ethics in the forefront.

If the message from the census to the government is that most people don’t give a crap about formal religion, then those with strong alternate religious … and dare I say “tribal” approaches to justice … may then alter the social landscape contrary to the desire of the majority.

What a confusing post.

Don't put 'no religion' if you think friends, family, and the rule of law is important, because otherwise the government won't think these are important ideals?

Chap, these have nothing to do with Christianity.

The reason why people put no religion is because they have no religion. What they think of friends, family, and the rule of law has nothing to do with that, and no sensible government would perceive otherwise.

You need to work a bit harder to draw a clear line between the two.
Like 142857, Sendraks, Strato, DanDare, Logic please liked this post
Old 1st June 2016, 06:45 PM
Extant

Default Re: AFAs risky promotion of a "I have [No Religion]" in the upcoming Australian Elect

TEDBUNDY, if after the previous posts you are happy to post a second time (and why not? We have only commented.) may I invite you to this thread where we are busy asking ourselves why people believe in a god. Now, we don't believe in any of the gods, common or obscure, so I am not sure we are best qualified to answer the question in all the circumstances although we are doing our best.

I invite you to read our responses carefully, then offer in that thread your succinct comment on which of our proposals make sense to you, which of them do not, and how you would describe your reasons for belief?

Any issues arising should probably be discussed in a new thread after that to avoid derailment.

cheers
X.

ETA: Returning to the thread after odd's post, I cautiously checked my link for accuracy and found it goes to my post within that thread. That was merely how I found the thread. Please start at the top when you go there.

Last edited by Xeno; 1st June 2016 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Explanation
Old 1st June 2016, 06:45 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Christian ethics huh. You have my attention, please explain a little further. And, please don't think you will be allowed to cherry pick which biblical morals are ethical and which are not.

The fact that when people talk about Christian values they only mention things like turning the other cheek (something Christians seems to be particularly bad at btw) says volumes about how 'ethical' the entire concept is.

Have at it!

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Old 1st June 2016, 09:15 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
TEDBUNDY said View Post
I’ve a problem with the idea of putting “No Religion” in the appropriate spot in the upcoming Australian census.

While the argument given by “The Atheist Foundation of Australia” is so to allow the government to better plan for its citizens, I don’t believe this to be the case for those (possibly, the silent majority) whose only contact with any established church is through weddings and funerals, … for they do share a common history based on (and let me call it) the “Christian Ethics” that floated in with the 1st Fleet.

This country and its people have gone to War in support of these ethics and ideals of family, friends and a ‘fairness’ based rule-of law.
Marking oneself as Christian in the census would at a minimum identify to the government the desire to continue a moderate transformation with these ethics in the forefront.

If the message from the census to the government is that most people don’t give a crap about formal religion, then those with strong alternate religious … and dare I say “tribal” approaches to justice … may then alter the social landscape contrary to the desire of the majority.

I'm confused. What are the alternate religious and tribal approaches to justice?
Old 1st June 2016, 10:14 PM
Minister for Religious Genocide
Super Moderator

Location: Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Quote:
Goldenmane said View Post
You can almost always predict, when seeing a username in allcaps, that the ensuing post is going to be a load of shite.
The fact that they calls themselves "TEDBUNDY" in a sadly desperate attempt to be "edgy" and "fetch" also gives it away.
Old 1st June 2016, 10:16 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
Lord Blackadder said View Post
Quote:
Goldenmane said View Post
You can almost always predict, when seeing a username in allcaps, that the ensuing post is going to be a load of shite.
The fact that they calls themselves "TEDBUNDY" in a sadly desperate attempt to be "edgy" and "fetch" also gives it away.
Yep, that too.

@Goldenmane3

Like Logic please, workmx liked this post
Old 2nd June 2016, 05:18 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
TEDBUNDY said View Post
, … for they do share a common history based on (and let me call it) the “Christian Ethics” that floated in with the 1st Fleet.
So the first thing we need to do to promote "christian ethics" is to lie on the census form. When do we get to cheating the tax man to have a tax free business like many christian religions do? Then there's the raping children like many christian leaders have done.

These are the ethics you want us to promote? Now before we get to the "not real christians" remember you are the one who wants is to lie, so does that make you "not a real christian" as well?
Old 2nd June 2016, 05:58 PM
Extant

Not to be impatient with TB, but TB "the atheist" has not logged on since their OP.
Old 2nd June 2016, 06:16 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Quote:
Xeno said View Post
Not to be impatient with TB, but TB "the atheist" has not logged on since their OP.
lol, doing god's work. Seem lying is one of those Christian values Australia was built on.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Like two dogs, joele liked this post
Old 2nd June 2016, 06:51 PM
Extant

Hit and run by the look of it.

It's no sacrifice.