Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Old 16th November 2009, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Cadbury Chocolate is Now HALAL.

I agree that it's likely an attempt to get a sales jump on competitors who didn't think of putting this spin on their labelling or who still use animal fats or emulsifiers in their chocolates.
A cynical ploy, but there's not much about advertising and marketing that isn't cynical.
I don't have a problem with it so long as getting it certified hallal doesn't incur a cost that's passed along to the consumer.

I prefer dark chocolate and just enjoyed some 55% Ch, chilli infused stuff from Germany. Not as good as the Belgian tallow goodies a friend sent recently, but I'll eat unbranded cooking chocolate when there's nothing else going, so I can't be too uppity.
WLB
Old 16th November 2009, 11:22 PM
is thinking pensively...

I wouldn’t worry about it, it’s a scam anyway. Having worked in the meat industry, I’ve seen processing plants with a recording of an Imam reciting something in Arabic over the speakers, not sure if it’s a halal requirement or them just appeasing customers for the sales…I suppose it’s a bit like the vegetarian labeling on foods.
"God said it. I believe it. That settles it"...its really a masterpiece of concision. Acres of impenetrable theological bullshit have been whittled down to a simple definition of what faith actually is.
Pat Condell

Old 16th November 2009, 11:43 PM
PM with no specific plan

Well what does that mean for the sun is it's radiation halal/kosher given the breakdown of the ozone layer, will porky pig ever be accepted and loved by everyone?

it's true

http://www.halalaustralia.com.au/default.asp

ya gotta like these guys, beers kosha

http://www.ka.org.au/index.php/compo...rdb/Itemid,61/

However cynical it might sound I have to agree that it is just a way to increase the appeal of a vendors product, as cheap and artificial as having some recorded message playing over a product processing plant might be to a skeptic to a shareholder it's a prayer answered, mmm pun intended.

And not to mention those discrete dating services, you have got to love the power of the Schwartz,....

mmm go figure

http://betterhuman.org/

Last edited by robertkd; 16th November 2009 at 11:48 PM. Reason: punctuation ;)
Old 17th November 2009, 01:51 AM
GET BENTon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
OK now if I am not mistaken Cadbury does not contain any animal products other than cow's milk. That automatically makes it Halal classified.

It would have to be cow's milk anyway since it is extremely common. And of course there are cows on the front cover and of course I presume that is what "dairy milk" means right?
'Diliac perhaps it's Rats Milk™

or it could even be Malk™

I wonder is vitamin R halal?
Old 17th November 2009, 05:28 AM
Angel ~ duties: Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkd View Post
ya gotta like these guys, beers kosha

http://www.ka.org.au/index.php/compo...rdb/Itemid,61/
What! No Manischewitz?
Old 19th November 2009, 10:02 AM
AFA Member

Eureka!

I was recommended to try the 'Coles Milk Chocolate', made from Belgian chocolate.

Excellent. It was very smooth and very nice. Just as good as Cadbury, if not better.

A 200g block cost me $2.99au. The Cadbury milk chocolate 200g block was selling for $3.99au. That makes a $1 difference, for the same quality chocolate.

You could take that info, and interpret that as saying $2.99 for the chocolate and wrapper, and $1 for Muslim prayers!!

Cadbury, you can keep your prayers and chocolate!!!!

I'll stick to the 'Coles Belgian Milk Chocolate' from now on. And at the same time save myself $1 on prayers I didn't ask for!

Thanks heaps Coles. You ROCK!!
Old 19th November 2009, 02:46 PM
Where the umbudsman can't get me

I'm with Seamus. I'm rather less exercised (in fact I'm not exercised at all) about the idea of eating chocolate that is permissable for this or that religious group, so long as otherwise it is the same chocolate, than I am by shrinking pack sizes.

On the lindt front my preference is 70%. I tried to like chilli chocolate: I like chilli, and like Jamiroquai chilli chocolate is hip and happening, but like Jamiroquai it just doesn't do it for me.

Haigs FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheist_angel View Post
The price of Swedish chocolates upsets me. I love Swedish chocolate.
I once had some Swedish chocolate and at the time I thought it was the best I had ever eaten. Over the years I thought perhaps my imagination was playing tricks on me ... but perhaps not?

You want respectful discourse? Learn how to fucking discourse.
Old 19th November 2009, 03:14 PM
AFA Member

I love my high end priced quality chockies as well.

Lindt - Really Nice!

Haigs - Yummy!

Chocolate Mill (Near Daylesford) - AWESOME!!!
A little drive from melbourne, but VERY well worth it. Every now and then we make the trip out there for the day. They now do online ordering http://www.chocmill.com.au/index1.html as well. Warning: Not cheap. And very Addictive!! Also no preservatives used, so they must be eaten within I think 14 days of purchase. They are also hand made and fresh every day. On weekends they have special chockies that must be eated that very day or they will go off (these are my favourite). Yummy!!
Old 19th November 2009, 04:17 PM
-

Angry Re: Cadbury Chocolate is Now HALAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Irreverent Mr Black View Post
I may add that Cadbury recently changed their packaging, at the same time downsizing their blocks by approx 50 grams.

The above query was about my particular choc-of-choice, Lindt.
I have noticed EXACTLY the same thing. Although note that the package looks bigger and/or the same size as the original in many cases. And the same price too. And now this HALAL crap just because Muslims express public outrage that they can't eat chocolate or whatever.

Oh yeah let's see if we can find HALAL beer soon. If you don't want to eat something that is not HALAL then don't eat it. But don't force the people to make it HALAL for fuck's sake!

Last edited by Sir Patrick Crocodile; 19th November 2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 19th November 2009, 04:27 PM
AFA Member

A cheap choc that ain't too bad can be got from Aldi.
“I contend that we are both Atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours” – Stephen Roberts