Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Call to action

Call to action Call out to atheist activism on polls, news articles, petitions or other injustice. Let everyone know we have a voice.

Old 22nd April 2016, 03:34 PM

Default Campaign to end tax exemption status of religion

Not sure if this is the correct spot for this one but I am wondering if there is a formal campaign organised to press for the reversal of religion's tax exemption status.
In my mind this is the single most important issue in the social/political environment today.
We have ultra right wing religos actively engaging in politics both financially and actively while not contributing one red cent to the welfare of the nations they are trying to control.
Secondly, as no record keeping is required for charities affiliated with organised religions the opportunity for corruption is both huge and undetectable. I have no doubt that millions of dollars are being quietly spent to influence elections in all free countries in favour of religion.
Can anyone direct me to a spot to join the fight?
Old 22nd April 2016, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Campaign to end tax exemption status of religion

I don't know if there are any formal campaigns but I agree that we need to stop tax free status of churches. Only non profit charities should be Tx exempt and books should be transparent. If we ever decide to become a republic separation of church and state needs to be top priority along with dicarding the current tax-free privilege that churches enjoy.
Old 22nd April 2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Ozgenie51 said View Post
Not sure if this is the correct spot for this one but I am wondering if there is a formal campaign organised to press for the reversal of religion's tax exemption status.
In my mind this is the single most important issue in the social/political environment today.
We have ultra right wing religos actively engaging in politics both financially and actively while not contributing one red cent to the welfare of the nations they are trying to control.
Secondly, as no record keeping is required for charities affiliated with organised religions the opportunity for corruption is both huge and undetectable. I have no doubt that millions of dollars are being quietly spent to influence elections in all free countries in favour of religion.
Can anyone direct me to a spot to join the fight?
this thread has a link ...
http://atheistfoundation.org.au/foru...ad.php?t=27629
Old 22nd April 2016, 05:06 PM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

There's also this petition:
Remove "advancement of religion" from qualifying as a charitable purpose for tax-exemption
However, I remain skeptical of the effectiveness of such online petitions. Both of those currently have around 5,000 "signatures", around 0.02% of Australia's population.

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Old 23rd April 2016, 12:41 PM
SIR Vacuous cunt
Administrator

Quote:
two dogs said View Post
There's also this petition:
Remove "advancement of religion" from qualifying as a charitable purpose for tax-exemption
However, I remain skeptical of the effectiveness of such online petitions. Both of those currently have around 5,000 "signatures", around 0.02% of Australia's population.
True, tho regardless of the amount of signatures, they are rarely if ever effective by themselves in anything more than giving representatives ammunition in approaching issues, showing that they are reflecting the community. In that regard a petition can resonate with those in power to take on an issue. That's where the change can happen more so than '500 people signed a petition out of millions'. It may just be a representative exposed to the community coming together that then fights that issue in the halls of power.

The other aspect is that petitions are effective for galvanising an issue in the populace in general. An ongoing promotion if you will of an idea. It helps get an argument put forward to be knocked down, adapted to better fit, etc etc.

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?
Like theswarm4 liked this post
Old 4th May 2016, 06:59 PM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

maybe this will work: http://www.theguardian.com/australia...l-disobedience