Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Call to action

Call to action Call out to atheist activism on polls, news articles, petitions or other injustice. Let everyone know we have a voice.

Old 26th February 2016, 08:33 PM
AFA Life Member - I see ...

Default Voluntary Euthanasia Bill in South Australia

In South Australia the Hon Steph Key presented a new Voluntary Euthanasia Bill to the South Australian Parliament on 11 February 2016.

Our electorate of Goyder (named after the Goyder line naturally enough) has a Liberal MP, Steven Griffiths who will oppose the Bill. By phone I established that his reason was that most of those he is in contact with oppose the initiation of Voluntary Euthanasia. He has gone beyond the very superficial arguments of slippery slope and grandma killing herself to appease the rest of the family and has favoured an unscientific argument which is in direct conflict with all polls carried out by many and varied reliable sources.

If you live in South Australia and wish to help get this Bill over the line, now is the time. A good start would be to contact SAVES (South Australian Voluntary Euthanasia Society) and they will direct you to the addresses of your MP.

I have written a letter to our local rag, which is a fine paper, making the strong suggestion that Steven Griffiths should abstain from voting if he is only supporting his own thoughts and not those of a vast majority of the public or is being unduly influenced by a vociferous and zealous religious minority.

The idea of abstaining when conscience overrides electorate wishes is not pushed enough in my opinion. Now might be the time to act on this.

Your thoughts welcome.

David
Like joele, Jodd liked this post
Thank Strato thanked this post
Old 26th February 2016, 09:02 PM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Well said.
Old 26th February 2016, 09:44 PM
Cuss-tard

Default Re: Voluntary Euthanasia Bill in South Australia

Indeed.

@Goldenmane3

Old 27th February 2016, 08:01 PM
AFA Member

I stupidly live in the wrong state!
Moral support for the cause though.
Old 28th February 2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
I stupidly live in the wrong state!
Moral support for the cause though.
Darwinsbulldog, maybe you could change states for the duration of this latest legislative attempt.

We South Aussies appreciate the moral support.

I’m sure atheists living is South Australia will keep working to continue the progressive legislation that has happened such as women granted voting rights way back in 1894, the decriminalization of homosexuality in 1975 and of course the first most comprehensive recycling operation brought into being in 1977. SA may have been the first state to lift the then very restrictive laws on abortion in 1969. That is a bit of a guess.

Some of these may not be directly atheist oriented but Voluntary Euthanasia is as religion is the main reason for it not being introduced in Australia apart from a brief appearance in the Northern Territory in 1995. Catholic to the boot straps, Kevin Andrews put an end to that.

David

Last edited by David Nicholls; 28th February 2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 16th March 2016, 02:51 PM

This letter (toned down by me from the original on calmer reflection) was published in the York Peninsula Country Times today.

The idea that politicians do not abstain from voting if their views on evidence-based civic good are compromised by personal opinion is one that is in need of promoting as a gross distortion of democracy.

Please feel free to use pertinent parts contained in the above letter if you wish to publically encourage the case for a system of legal Voluntary Euthanasia in
Australia. Thanks.

David
Like two dogs liked this post
Old 19th August 2016, 03:17 PM
human becoming

Hi David,

Great post - I am a South Aussie and will help in any way I can. I've just done a brief search and can't see that it has been passed/rejected yet - do you have any more information?
Old 19th August 2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Jodd said View Post
Hi David,

Great post - I am a South Aussie and will help in any way I can. I've just done a brief search and can't see that it has been passed/rejected yet - do you have any more information?
Hello Jodd,

Thanks for the kind sentiment.

As it tis with politics, things are ticking along slowly. But I will add, in this case, it is certainly surely. (we all hope)

You may have heard that Andrew Denton has set up an organisation called, Go Gentle Australia, the purpose of which is to promote the idea of a death with dignity. In fact, I have been told that they have placed an ad in today’s Adelaide Advertiser on this subject. We are a long way from any town and roads are muddy, so we won’t see it yet.

At the moment, the South Australian Parliament is on its Winter Break which will be followed by Estimates. Following that, on the 29 September the Hon. Steph Key bill will be debating in parliament.

Between now and then it needs many people asking where their politicians stand on the issue and if negative, to obtain good reasons for that. Of course, there are no good negative reasons available but no doubt some stupid ones will have to suffice.

A letter to the Advertiser with that information or a general view that legal voluntary euthanasia is an informed majority wish will help get it over the line, maybe.

The status quo of such legislation not being enacted apart from a brief time in the Northern Territory will remain the same, to part-para-quote someone or other, 'if good people do nothing'.

David

Last edited by David Nicholls; 19th August 2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 7th January 2017, 09:46 AM
human becoming

Hi David,

Sorry for the slow response - moved countries and aside from doing that was focused on getting my dissertation done, which came together just before the new year.

With regards this:
Quote:
Following that, on the 29 September the Hon. Steph Key bill will be debating in parliament.
I did hear that it got rejected, again. And the casting vote that shot it down was given by none other than my local MP.
Old 13th January 2017, 06:47 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Andrew Denton gave a pretty good speech at the National Press Club about Euthenasia. This is a part of it. I'm not sure if the full thing is online somewhere.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-1...anasia/7718152

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.