Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Global Atheist Convention Forum

Global Atheist Convention Forum All discussions regarding the AFA's Global Atheist Conventions

Old 11th January 2016, 03:18 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Default How to open next GAC!

When we get to the next GAC , this is how to open it

Quote:
"... I have heard a lot of atheist scientists assert that they don’t need a God to help them feel the absolute wonder of the universe. And this idea captivated me. I decided I wanted to bring the intense emotions aroused by sacred classical music to secular lyrics ... Everybody should enjoy the most beautiful music ever written. And everybody should understand the wonder of science as a miracle, something we do not fully understand yet through physics, and other sciences, we grow closer and closer to the truth. And the truth can be absolutely awe inspiring.
-Natalie Windsor
Vocalist, Scientific Songs of Praise

Quote:
Scientific Songs of Praise take your favourite hymns and Christmas carols and recreate them as songs that celebrate the amazing wonders of science.
The idea came about because I really love several Christmassy hymns; but I always find singing along to them a bit awkward, because the lyrics don’t resonate with me. A couple of years ago, I heard Natalie singing 'O Holy Night' from a link she posted on Facebook, and wrote 'Oh Satellite'. The rest is history!
Nowadays, I genuinely prefer my versions, and sing them to myself, and my son, every day.
Writing these was a lot of fun, and pushed me step outside my field, and learn more about the truly fascinating topics they cover.
Nat and Matt are doing an epic job recording; I’m thrilled to bits with the results. We hope you enjoy our music as much as we enjoy making it; and maybe learn some new awe-inspiring facts along the way.
Enjoy!
-Tariq Abdulla
Lyricist, Scientific Songs of Praise

Last edited by Blue Lightning; 11th January 2016 at 04:00 PM.
Like DanDare, BornAgainAtheist liked this post
Thank DanDare, BornAgainAtheist thanked this post
Old 11th January 2016, 03:38 PM

Default Re: How to open next GAC!

I like these, too -

How Xmyth Carols should always be done!

Last edited by Blue Lightning; 11th January 2016 at 03:45 PM.
Like Strato, DanDare liked this post
Old 11th January 2016, 04:31 PM

@ Mods - I've had my fun. Feel free to relocate thread. After this one -

Like DanDare liked this post
Old 12th January 2016, 09:52 PM

Sorry for the negative aside... but fuck even here muppets start revising history for their absurd doctrine:

Quote:
Muppet in the Comments said
I agree that the church was and is a great supporter of science, what I DON'T agree with is that the "incident" was about Galileo being suppressed by the Catholic church. Rather it was cause when overstepped science and started commenting on religion. Galileo could have safely proposed heliocentricity as a theory or a method to more simply account for the planets’ motions. His problem arose when he stopped proposing it as a scientific theory and began proclaiming it as truth, though there was no conclusive proof of it at the time. Even so, Galileo would not have been in so much trouble if he had chosen to stay within the realm of science and out of the realm of theology. But, despite his friends’ warnings, he insisted on moving the debate onto theological grounds.
Old 12th January 2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Spearthrower said View Post
Quote:
Muppet in the Comments said
I agree that the church was and is a great supporter of science, what I DON'T agree with is that the "incident" was about Galileo being suppressed by the Catholic church. Rather it was cause when overstepped science and started commenting on religion. Galileo could have safely proposed heliocentricity as a theory or a method to more simply account for the planetsí motions. His problem arose when he stopped proposing it as a scientific theory and began proclaiming it as truth, though there was no conclusive proof of it at the time. Even so, Galileo would not have been in so much trouble if he had chosen to stay within the realm of science and out of the realm of theology. But, despite his friendsí warnings, he insisted on moving the debate onto theological grounds.

So much fail ...
Old 12th January 2016, 11:31 PM

They always have to revise history. That's one thing that does actually piss me off.
Old 23rd January 2016, 09:31 AM
AFA Member

Penguins. Jumping. Lots of penguins.
Old 23rd January 2016, 10:44 AM
AFA Member

I like Pengies. They should be flying as well.
Old 23rd January 2016, 10:46 AM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Quote:
TokenSkeptic said View Post
Penguins. Jumping. Lots of penguins.
Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
I like Pengies. They should be flying as well.
I endorse these two posts.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
óChaz Bufe, The American Hereticís Dictionary
Like TokenSkeptic, Logic please liked this post
Old 20th March 2016, 09:24 AM
It's getting hot in here .....
Administrator

Love them.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/djarm67
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/djarm67
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/djarm67