Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Coming Out Stories

Coming Out Stories Share the story of your path to Atheism.

Old 25th November 2015, 06:35 PM
AFA Member

Default Don't know that I ever did believe...

...beyond that belief as a child, just like you believe in fairies and Santa Clause. As a kid you are shrouded in the sense that someone is watching somewhere, all the time, whether it be a benevolent force or just your parents.

I was christened Catholic, but in the 1970s it was kind of just what people did. It was just a right-of-passage tradition that everyone went through, without much thought given to it beyond that you had joined a club and that it was an excuse to throw a party and be...well...generally godless at said party

My parents never went to church and god was never discussed in our household. The only time I went to church was for weddings, christenings and funerals, and every time I went I was bored senseless and found the traditions weird and arbitrary (boredom was the main thing I felt though).

I never gave too much thought to my belief systems, as I never really saw them as important.

It wasn't until I hit my 20's that I started to take more notice of how much religion affected my life. I started noticing that every time I had to attend church for some traditional celebration, that the subjects of the celebration hardly figured in the ceremony, and that it was largely about god and god's 'blessing' of the event...which really took away from any level of emotion I would feel for what was actually happening between people that I loved and cherished and was generally very happy for.

I started to notice how sombre and negative everything about religion is, and that the reason for this was because it focused so much on death and punishment, rather than life and love. Essentially, how uplifting can something be when it focuses on the single most terrifying concept for most people on Earth?

Regardless of all of this, I still never really gave too much thought to religion beyond that it was just this kind of annoying thing that was to be endured as part of what appeared to be civilized society (the ol' "oh well, it's not doing any harm" approach). I was also not so keen to upset people that did believe in a god, and what that meant for people who had lost loved ones, or who just needed faith to get through their lives.

I can honestly say that it was 9/11 that really made me start to focus on how I really felt about religion. 9/11 woke me out of my mental slumber and made me realise just how destructive religion really is for every society on Earth; but more positively, it lead me to realise the freedom and power of non-belief, and how atheism (and the relinquishing of outdated concepts of morality), seemed to be the answer to many of the world's problems.

To put it simply, I came to understand the destructive impact focusing on death and an afterlife, rather than living for the now, was having on the world.

Of course, when you start to embrace your atheism it takes you on the most amazing journey of self discovery (both inner and outer), it opens up so many wonders to you, and you really do start to see it as a life changing experience that gives you a completely new (and improved), perspective on life; it challenges you to live your life differently and make everything in your life count. Atheism has helped me to purge many of the insecurities and worries I once had and to focus solely on who, and what actually counts in my life.

It was precisely this concept that I wanted to help spread around the world "life is now! So live it and forget all the other BS!".

As Sam Harris said; when you acknowledge that you are an atheist "life becomes an emergency", and you soon realise how much time you've wasted and how much living you still need to do before the gift of consciousness is taken away from you, whether in death or in a comatose state.

I believe atheism IS the light at the end of the tunnel for humanity.

Last edited by LYoung; 25th November 2015 at 07:09 PM.
Like wolty, Darwinsbulldog, Sendraks, two dogs, AZK and 3 others liked this post
Old 25th November 2015, 06:42 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Default Re: Don't know that I ever did believe...

Welcome. Thanks for sharing.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 25th November 2015, 07:12 PM
AFA Member

No problem. It felt good :-)
Old 25th November 2015, 07:24 PM
The Rickest Rick

Quote:
LYoung said View Post
This quote right here, fucking majestic. Beautifully said. Welcome.
[odd]The immenseness of the universe - and Jesus sitting on the outside worried whether a species, that happens to be alive during a blip on the timeline of existence, is masterbating or not. Priceless.
[Goldenmane]To put it another way: I can be charitable without dogma, and if you preach at me as a condition for accepting your help, then you can fuck off.

Theists! Don't forget to read the Great Big List before posting.
Goldenmane’s Third Rule of Public Discourse
Goldenmane's Exposition On Rule Fucking Three
Like STOKER liked this post
Old 25th November 2015, 08:09 PM
AFA Member

LYoung wrote:-
Quote:
Meh. Atheists are just scientists pretending that science didn't teach them that we do not live in a magical world. And scientists are just people who pretend they are not atheists!

BTW Hello and welcome! Good intro!

Last edited by Darwinsbulldog; 25th November 2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 25th November 2015, 10:12 PM
AFA Member

Thanks! It feels good to be among like minded souls.
Like wolty liked this post
Old 25th November 2015, 10:15 PM
AFA Member

Hmmmm, it wasn't really science per se that convinced me there is no god. I guess I kind of always knew there wasn't a god...I just never really gave it a lot of thought until 9/11 and the ensuing terror attacks and wars.
Old 26th November 2015, 07:31 AM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Hello LYoung welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy the place.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Old 26th November 2015, 11:47 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
LYoung said View Post
Thanks! It feels good to be among like minded souls.
Mortal souls of course. We don't do the disembodied type here!
Old 26th November 2015, 01:02 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Welcome!