Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 12th November 2015, 06:58 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Default Re: Critical Thinking

Quote:
odd said View Post
People have lives that don't revolve around you Azu - I assume Mark will post in this thread when he has time, and when he feels like it - no need to add pressure.

I know you are excited... but you need to back off a little, IMO.
Of course, I'm not impatient. I do other things... I only check once Mark Sean replies. Don't worry, cheers!
Old 26th July 2016, 11:29 PM

Hi Azu,

First thing I want to say is I am sorry for not following through with this thread.
Second thing I want to say is I am sorry for my conduct in the thread that lead to this thread.
I expected to come back and find Mod directives.
I am back because I need to talk to people of like minds, and I could not do that before coming here and checking.

BTW - How are you going with your thinking?
I have found that whilst I really enjoy sorting my own thinking out (very much so), the down side is I am increasingly becoming distant from friends and loved ones that don't know what I am talking about and don't seem to care about their thinking.

It's a tough one.
Old 27th July 2016, 10:33 AM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Quote:
Mark Sean said View Post
Hi Azu,

First thing I want to say is I am sorry for not following through with this thread.
Second thing I want to say is I am sorry for my conduct in the thread that lead to this thread.
I expected to come back and find Mod directives.
I am back because I need to talk to people of like minds, and I could not do that before coming here and checking.

BTW - How are you going with your thinking?
I have found that whilst I really enjoy sorting my own thinking out (very much so), the down side is I am increasingly becoming distant from friends and loved ones that don't know what I am talking about and don't seem to care about their thinking.

It's a tough one.
I'm fine thanks. I often stumble into overthinking and overanalysing. This gives me a lot of headaches. I need to soften and think more lightly. I need to be subtle and deal with nuances.

So are you up on critical thinking?
Old 3rd August 2016, 10:31 PM

Smile Re: Critical Thinking

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
I'm fine thanks. I often stumble into overthinking and overanalysing. This gives me a lot of headaches. I need to soften and think more lightly. I need to be subtle and deal with nuances.

So are you up on critical thinking?
Hi Azu,
On the question of am I up on critical thinking.
I understand what exemplary thinking 'looks like', but I also now think that it is not possible for humans.
I now think in terms of attempting to move thinking towards better thinking. (and there is plenty of low hanging fruit to be had)

I have tied myself in knots over this for the best part of 10yrs
I think I understand what you mean by overthinking and overanalysing, however I don't use those terms. I find those terms are used by those that don't care about their own thinking and don't analyse thinking - theirs or others'.
Having said that - I feel I need to lower my expectations of my own thinking, first and foremost, because I simply am not going to be an exemplary thinker, and it will(has) lead to extreme disappointment.

I like your terms 'soften and think more lightly', and 'subtle and deal with nuances', and wholeheartedly agree when communication is between people that are intent on understanding.

What to do though when understanding is not the intent of communication. I actually think the vast majority of humans are asleep at the wheel. If that's true, I need to deal with it better otherwise I am going to go mad.
Old 3rd August 2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Mark: I understand what exemplary thinking 'looks like', but I also now think that it is not possible for humans.
Old 4th August 2016, 06:13 AM

Mark : I am not interested in being an exemplary thinker just the best I can be. I do not care if others are better thinkers as I am not in competition
with anyone. I try to be more logical and less emotional. I will learn from anyone wanting to impart knowledge or wisdom. I avoid absolute positions
unless they can be justified. I accept all demonstrable truth regardless of any emotional interpretation. This is how over time I have become a better
[ critical ] thinker. But I cannot afford to be complacent as self improvement is an eternal work in progress. One that will continue until my final days
Old 4th August 2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Aphorist said View Post
Why the cartoons? This is not Facebook.
As messed up as my thinking may be, I will be straight up.
Old 4th August 2016, 08:43 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

I have always equated 'overthinking' and 'overanalysing' with trying to get 50 litres of milk out of a 30 litre cow. It is either done out of dysfunction or in an effort to make certain pre-existing dots meet up - it is going to a place that the revealed evidence does not support.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Old 4th August 2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
surreptitious57 said View Post
Mark : I am not interested in being an exemplary thinker just the best I can be. I do not care if others are better thinkers as I am not in competition
with anyone. I try to be more logical and less emotional. I will learn from anyone wanting to impart knowledge or wisdom. I avoid absolute positions
unless they can be justified. I accept all demonstrable truth regardless of any emotional interpretation. This is how over time I have become a better
[ critical ] thinker. But I cannot afford to be complacent as self improvement is an eternal work in progress. One that will continue until my final days
We are on the same page then.

The only problem is that used car salesman can be logical and less emotional - obviously that is not enough.
What about intellectual values?
What standards do we use to assess our own thinking?
Old 4th August 2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
odd said View Post
I have always equated 'overthinking' and 'overanalysing' with trying to get 50 litres of milk out of a 30 litre cow. It is either done out of dysfunction or in an effort to make certain pre-existing dots meet up - it is going to a place that the revealed evidence does not support.
G'day Odd,

My objection to the terms is the 'over' bit.
Hey, I don't want to set myself up as a teacher of critical thinking - I just drop the link to critical thinking and know that those that are looking will lap it up,
and those that are unaware that their thinking is err..mostly innate won't even look at it.

I need help with my thinking - but it needs to be from those that are up to speed with what critical thinking is - and I know they are here (if they are anywhere.)

An analogy (for an atheist) would be going to a counsellor and have them talk about finding 'the way'.