Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 11th November 2015, 11:37 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Default Critical Thinking

Please note: I intend to create this thread solely upon a discussion between Mark Sean and I in the other thread, Successful Atheists. I intend to converse in-depth with Mark Sean throughout this thread. Other members are welcome to participate - however, please do honour the request that I want to make it mostly between him and I.

Critical Thinking is for discussing critical thinking. Precedents used for discussion include

http://www.criticalthinking.org/

Hello Mark Sean, let's start here.
Old 11th November 2015, 11:52 PM

Default Re: Critical Thinking

Hello Azu.

Do you agree that we use the most substantive conceptualization of Critical Thinking that I know of, which is here:

?
Old 11th November 2015, 11:54 PM

How about I give you a few days to read and absorb it?

I am only going to import the question about intellectual values.

Last edited by Mark Sean; 11th November 2015 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11th November 2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Mark Sean said View Post
Hello Azu.

Do you agree that we use the most substantive conceptualization of Critical Thinking that I know of, which is here:

?
I am in the middle of summarising and defining Critical Thinking. Meanwhile, let me answer this question. To answer, the question uses the key term 'most substantive'. This appears superlative and asking for a black-and-white answer. However, the answer that this website is the most substantive conceptualisation of Critical Thinking is tentative. So far, using my personal opinion, based on any other websites that I've encountered so far regarding Critical Thinking, this website is relatively the most substantive conceptualisation of Critical Thinking.

(I'll expand on this response later but let me first complete summarising and defining Critical Thinking)

Last edited by Azurisan21; 12th November 2015 at 12:22 AM.
Old 12th November 2015, 12:09 AM

Critical Thinking

Definition: Critical Thinking

Citations:

http://www.criticalthinking.org/page...l-thinking/766

Quote:
Critical thinking is the intellectually disciplined process of actively and skillfully conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing, and/or evaluating information gathered from, or generated by, observation, experience, reflection, reasoning, or communication, as a guide to belief and action. In its exemplary form, it is based on universal intellectual values that transcend subject matter divisions: clarity, accuracy, precision, consistency, relevance, sound evidence, good reasons, depth, breadth, and fairness.
This paragraph defines critical thinking as a rigorous (accuracy, precision, good reasons and fairness), active and systematic (clarity, consistency and relevance) engagement with information, issues, topics, arguments and ideas, with goals such as to foster a) informed, up-to-date, substantive, validated, reliable and applicable knowledge, awareness and understanding, b) responsible and ethically sound practice and implementation/application within various contexts from daily life to academic and professional (belief and action) and c) informed assessment of risks and consequences in order to better solve and control the situation/problem/issue at hand and its outcomes, and direct betterment and changes.

(I will expand and continue this soon)

Last edited by Azurisan21; 12th November 2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12th November 2015, 12:13 AM

Critical Thinking

Definition: Critical Thinking (cont'd)

Quote:
Critical thinking varies according to the motivation underlying it. When grounded in selfish motives, it is often manifested in the skillful manipulation of ideas in service of one’s own, or one's groups’, vested interest. As such it is typically intellectually flawed, however pragmatically successful it might be. When grounded in fairmindedness and intellectual integrity, it is typically of a higher order intellectually, though subject to the charge of "idealism" by those habituated to its selfish use.
This paragraph raises the issue of egocentric thinking that can be effectively addressed via Critical Thinking.
Old 12th November 2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Critical thinking of any kind is never universal in any individual; everyone is subject to episodes of undisciplined or irrational thought. Its quality is therefore typically a matter of degree and dependent on, among other things, the quality and depth of experience in a given domain of thinking or with respect to a particular class of questions. No one is a critical thinker through-and-through, but only to such-and-such a degree, with such-and-such insights and blind spots, subject to such-and-such tendencies towards self-delusion. For this reason, the development of critical thinking skills and dispositions is a life-long endeavor.
This paragraph explicates that the successful implementation of Critical Thinking is relative but varies depending on the quality of argumentation and the context in which it is used. Hence, it is subject to ongoing definitional and disciplinary expansions, revisions and improvements.

Last edited by Azurisan21; 12th November 2015 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12th November 2015, 12:42 AM

Hiya Azu,

Not a response to any particular post of yours, ( because I have not read them yet), but don't sweat it.

Nobody ever applies Critical Thinking across all aspects of their life all the time.
A Critical Thinker is someone we can attempt to become (if we want).

Anyway, I'm going to bed.
Ni Ni. sleep tight
Old 12th November 2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Mark Sean said View Post
Hiya Azu,

Not a response to any particular post of yours, ( because I have not read them yet), but don't sweat it.

Nobody ever applies Critical Thinking across all aspects of their life all the time.
A Critical Thinker is someone we can attempt to become (if we want).

Anyway, I'm going to bed.
Ni Ni. sleep tight
Please get back to it, as soon as you are online. I cannot wait and look forward to engagement with you.
Old 12th November 2015, 06:35 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

People have lives that don't revolve around you Azu - I assume Mark will post in this thread when he has time, and when he feels like it - no need to add pressure.

I know you are excited... but you need to back off a little, IMO.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess