Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Coming Out Stories

Coming Out Stories Share the story of your path to Atheism.

Old 17th October 2015, 07:07 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Default Re: Thanks Dad!

Wow, big nostalgia fest. Never went to Sunday school but my public primary school sent me to RI without informing my parents. I fought the whole process tooth and nail and led a rebellion of students which caused our RI teacher to run away.

And I would neither sing "God Save the Queen" or salute any damn flag. My parents were on side with me for all of this, much to the consternation of the school principle.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Like Anne liked this post
Old 17th October 2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Anne said View Post
I'd almost forgotten about having to either sing 'God Save the Queen' or at least stand to attention while it was played [...] When it was played in the movie theatre, I remained seated while everyone else stood up, many with hand on heart.
LOL... yep, I remember doing exactly the same thing at the pictures as a teenager—remaining glued to my seat. All the time being subjected to angry glares from the adults around me standing rigidly to attention.

If another country's monarch needed the help of her imaginary friend up in the sky, then all was lost, and simply standing up whilst gazing on her image from 20,000km away certainly wasn't gonna be of any help.

Like Anne liked this post
Old 18th October 2015, 01:43 PM
The Rickest Rick

Well done to you and well done to your dad.

Welcome
[odd]The immenseness of the universe - and Jesus sitting on the outside worried whether a species, that happens to be alive during a blip on the timeline of existence, is masterbating or not. Priceless.
[Goldenmane]To put it another way: I can be charitable without dogma, and if you preach at me as a condition for accepting your help, then you can fuck off.

Theists! Don't forget to read the Great Big List before posting.
Goldenmane’s Third Rule of Public Discourse
Goldenmane's Exposition On Rule Fucking Three