Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Call to action

Call to action Call out to atheist activism on polls, news articles, petitions or other injustice. Let everyone know we have a voice.

Old 7th June 2015, 09:48 PM
Like a supermod without the lycra

Default Free Raif Badawi

For those who receive the Australian Atheist magazine, in the Jan-Mar issue this year I featured the travesty that is Saudi Rabia's treatment of Raif Badawi.

RThe Supreme court in Saudi Arabia has upheld the sentence of ten years and 1,000 public lashes.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-33039815

I called on all atheists in the magazine to write to the Saudi Embassy. I'm asking you to do so again. Raif did nothing other than have a freethought blog and allow people to post opinions. In Saudi Arabia that warrented him getting ten years and 1,000 public lashes. I am livid.

The contact details for the Saudi embassy:

38 GuilFoyle Street
Yarralumla ACT 2600
auemb@mofa.gov.sa

The contact details for the Australian Embassy in Saudi Aarabia:

PO Box 94400
Riyadh
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

You can also contact the Minister for Foreign Affairs, Julie Bishop and tell her, as an Australian citizen you want displomatic relations with Saudi Arabia suspended until they stop human rights abuses against atheists and freethinkers like Raif Badawi. Her contact details are:

Parliamentary Office
PO Box 6022
House of Representatives
Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600
Electorate Office
PO Box 2010
Subiaco, WA, 6904
Julie.Bishop.MP@aph.gov.au

Video Footage of Raif's first public flogging that caused international condemnation:
Old 7th June 2015, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Free Raif Badawi

Thanks prudie ,done and done.
Old 7th June 2015, 11:31 PM
What Me Deluded?

Indeed. Thank you Prudie.

Done and done.
Old 8th June 2015, 12:33 AM
Like a supermod without the lycra

Thanks guys
Old 9th June 2015, 05:54 PM
AFA Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcok...layer_embedded

Thank you Prudie for linking the video. I watched this shocking video as well and find myself considering the whole middle east situation in a different light with the religious fanatics on both sides committing the most barbarous evil to innocents.

Raif spoke up against these sorts of atrocities only to have them inflicted on him as well. We need more people like him. I will write now to the Saudi embassy and to Julie Bishop.
Old 9th June 2015, 06:57 PM
AFA Member

Done. Sent to Saudi Ambassador and cc to Julie Bishop
Quote:
Excellency Nabil Al Saleh
Ambassador for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

Your Excellency

Raif Badawi has been convicted of criticising the Saudi regime, however criticising authority is a fundamental human right. When there is nobody to speak up against the abuse of power then evil triumphs. It is in Saudi Arabia’s own interests to encourage democratic discourse, which includes criticism, in order to avoid the type of civil war which engulfs countries in which the rights of free thought are too long and too violently suppressed. Saudi Arabia is stepping down that path of violence with it’s brutal imprisonment and lashing of Raif Badawi.

Those who claim to be religious should never be above criticism. Raif has spoken up against atrocities committed in the name of religion. It is criticisms but the abuses of religious power which sully the name of Muslims and indeed Islam. I am referring to evil actions like the stoning of women, ritual beheadings, and public floggings carried out in the name of Islam. This case brings shines the light of world attention on Saudi Arabia. It is in the interests of your country to release Mr Badawi forthwith.

Yours faithfully
Old 11th June 2015, 07:27 PM
AFA Member

Letter sent to Ms Bishop, however, I am still considering my draft to the Saudi authorities. Wadeye, can I use some of your ideas? it is pointless to write something that may not be read beyond the first sentence?
Old 11th June 2015, 07:40 PM
What Me Deluded?

It is a very good letter, wadaye. It is hard to weed out typos from text before sending. They do detract a little, sadly.

Your Excellency.

Last edited by Strato; 11th June 2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11th June 2015, 09:23 PM
AFA Member

Thank you Strato and Bulldog, I regretted not editing as soon as I saw it but it was too late. It's a slow lesson for me. Bulldog or anyone for sure go for it. They certainly need to be told in the strongest possible voice that it is they who defame their own god by their actions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12th June 2015, 12:23 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Thank you Strato and Bulldog, I regretted not editing as soon as I saw it but it was too late. It's a slow lesson for me. Bulldog or anyone for sure go for it. They certainly need to be told in the strongest possible voice that it is they who defame their own god by their actions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks wadeye! my letters to the Saudis start off reasonable but quickly degenerate into a lot of personal insults that would make a Nazi blush!

Ok Done. I used your framework wadeye, but I think I have blown my chances of 72 virgins in the afterlife! Thanks.

Last edited by Darwinsbulldog; 12th June 2015 at 12:47 AM. Reason: ETA added ....thanks....