Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Call to action

Call to action Call out to atheist activism on polls, news articles, petitions or other injustice. Let everyone know we have a voice.

Old 27th May 2015, 09:06 PM
What Me Deluded?

Default Re: Creationists manipulating search results

Done. Cool.
Old 27th December 2015, 10:18 AM

Done.

I typed 'Theory of Evolution' into Google and one of the top results was:
http://www.darwins-theory-of-evolution.com/
Old 27th December 2015, 11:18 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Fie said View Post
Done.

I typed 'Theory of Evolution' into Google and one of the top results was:
http://www.darwins-theory-of-evolution.com/
Yes deceptive bastards. At first glance it seems legit, then further down;

Quote:
We now know that there are in fact tens of thousands of irreducibly complex systems on the cellular level.
And we have the most blatantly and regularly selectively quoted passage on the internet;

Quote:
And we don't need a microscope to observe irreducible complexity. The eye, the ear and the heart are all examples of irreducible complexity, though they were not recognized as such in Darwin's day. Nevertheless, Darwin confessed, "To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree."
Such blatant out and out, well I can only call it lies because that's what it is, mustn't go unchallenged!
Old 27th December 2015, 05:02 PM

Creationism masquerading as science. To the average person it would appear to be real science, when it's actually indoctrination by stealth.
Unfortunately the fundamentalists are very well organised and have a strong incentive to have their beliefs become the 'truth'.

Sorry if I'm ranting, but this sh*t really does my head in.
Old 27th December 2015, 05:40 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Fie said View Post
Creationism masquerading as science. To the average person it would appear to be real science, when it's actually indoctrination by stealth.
Unfortunately the fundamentalists are very well organised and have a strong incentive to have their beliefs become the 'truth'.

Sorry if I'm ranting, but this sh*t really does my head in.
Rant away. Most of us have on this topic.
I have tried to estimate the damage caused to science by religion over the centuries. Events like the murder of Bruno by the RCC, the censure of Galileo, not to mention the [mainly religious inspired] bigotry that has kept various ethic groups at the bottom of society. And the treatment of women, even after society let them become involved in science.
As a conservative estimate, I would say that if religion had not interfered with science directly and indirectly, by 1492 we would have had a colony on Mars, not just pissing about the coast of north America.
Old 27th December 2015, 07:39 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
As a conservative estimate, I would say that if religion had not interfered with science directly and indirectly, by 1492 we would have had a colony on Mars, not just pissing about the coast of north America.
You are being way to conservative. From the birth of steam engines to now;

Quote:
The steam engine was developed over a period of about a hundred years by three British inventors. The first crude steam powered machine was built by Thomas Savery, of England, in 1698. Savery built his machine to help pump water out of coal mines.
So three hundred years.

Very first use of steam to power? Aeolipile, 1st century BC.

Quote:
It is not known whether the aeolipile was put to practical use in ancient times. Hero's drawing shows a standalone device, and was presumably intended as a "temple wonder", like many of the other devices described in Pneumatica
I estimate 1000 CE for a colony on Mars.
Old 27th December 2015, 08:51 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
You are being way to conservative. From the birth of steam engines to now;

So three hundred years.

Very first use of steam to power? Aeolipile, 1st century BC.

I estimate 1000 CE for a colony on Mars.
I won't argue with you.
Old 28th December 2015, 08:46 AM

Commented and done ... cheeses
Old 29th December 2015, 12:54 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

I hate having to play whack a mole with these creationist fuckwits.

Feedback sent to Google:

Quote:
When searching for information about "theory of evolution" the first site shown is an evolution denial site by creationists. They have manipulated the search results on the key terms and it must be dropped in the ranking!

Darwin's Theory Of Evolution
www.darwins-theory-of-evolution.com/
Darwin's Theory Of Evolution - A theory in crisis in light of the tremendous advances we've made in molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics and information ...

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 31st December 2015, 03:29 PM
What Me Deluded?

I don't really like to have to have to shut up or cool it about the AFA, books I read, what I am aware of.

People say unthinking, 'so what, why bother?' It may appear quite irrelevant to the average Australian. There is Christianity in America to deal with. The Muslim world will embrace secularism and rationalism after the West fully does so, as I see it.

Creationists co opting Google search makes war unavoidable. It's the battle for the mind, freedom, and progress.