Go Back   AFA Forums > AFA > AFA Media Releases & Announcements

AFA Media Releases & Announcements Feel free to comment on issues the AFA is involved with.

Old 18th May 2015, 09:01 AM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

Default Media Release: 2015 Budget Continues Chaplaincy Double-Dipping

The Atheist Foundation of Australia (AFA) has examined both the Government's 2015 Budget, and the Opposition's Budget-in-Reply.

On the secularism front, one aspect of both is particularly disappointing - the continued wasting of the tax dollars of all Australians on the National School Chaplaincy Program (NSCP) and its army of evangelising amateurs.

The Budget confirmed that funding for this program will continue to the tune of $60 million a year for four years - nearly a quarter of a billion dollars in total. The Budget-in-Reply was largely silent on this issue, leaving Australians to conclude that the Opposition would similarly continue with this funding waste.

What else could a quarter of a billion dollars be used for? By comparison, the Budget allocated only $16.7 million over 3 years to addressing the real and urgent issue of domestic violence in Australia. That's less than $6 million a year, or less than 10% of the NSCP yearly budget.

Surely addressing that issue with $240 million would provide a greater tangible benefit to Australia's children (and their families) than the NSCP.

"There haven been noises from various quarters about 'double-dipping' around this Budget, while many appear to ignore the most blatant double-dipping of all." AFA President Michael Boyd noted. "Churches and religious bodies already share in $30 billion per annum in religious tax concessions, and represent some of the wealthiest groupings in our community. Yet they put their hands out again, expecting taxpayers to pay $60 million per year to fund their covert religious recruitment efforts aimed at our schoolchildren".

The AFA calls on both the Government and Opposition to use precious taxpayer funds to address real problems, rather than waste them propping up the NSCP.

Michael Boyd

President
Atheist Foundation of Australia Inc
PO Box 1062
Lane Cove NSW 1595
Phone: (08) 8835 2269
Email: president@atheistfoundation.org.au

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Old 18th May 2015, 10:51 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: Media Release: 2015 Budget Continues Chaplaincy Double-Dipping

Needz ad homs!
Old 18th May 2015, 01:31 PM
Wonder if the beer tastes as good?
Super Moderator

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Needz ad homs!
Damn... knew there was something missing...

Thanks to everyone who cared enough to want to contribute to a MR on this issue, who all contributed some great ideas that could be used in future. Hopefully this one meets with approval.
Old 18th May 2015, 03:34 PM
Cuss-tard

*grumble*

I'm gonna put mine in the podcast. So there!

@Goldenmane3

Old 18th May 2015, 06:12 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

The subject of this press release fills me with more rage than any of the previous ones since I became an AFA member.

I'm curious about the success of such releases. How many phone calls come in from drivetime radio producers, colour supplement feature writers etc., looking for an interview from an AFA spokesperson?
Old 18th May 2015, 06:33 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

That 30 billion figure is way out of date. I imagine it's much bigger now.

Old 18th May 2015, 09:37 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Good release. The comparison is startling. Should have mentioned the Greens and pushed them to respond as well.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 18th May 2015, 09:48 PM
AFA Member

Is it ok to forward this press release to our local members of Parliament?
Old 18th May 2015, 10:18 PM
Wonder if the beer tastes as good?
Super Moderator

Quote:
stylofone said View Post
The subject of this press release fills me with more rage than any of the previous ones since I became an AFA member.

I'm curious about the success of such releases. How many phone calls come in from drivetime radio producers, colour supplement feature writers etc., looking for an interview from an AFA spokesperson?
Our Vice-President Danny Jarman has fronted for interview and/or we've been quoted in the press...

for quite
a few
of our recent
media efforts

...and those examples are all from the last 6 months approx.