Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Coming Out Stories

Coming Out Stories Share the story of your path to Atheism.

Old 10th April 2015, 11:27 AM

Default Finally taking some steps

G'day!

Recently I've been taking my views on religion more seriously. I haven't posted here a lot yet but in my intro I ran through the fact that I'm an atheist in a family so moderately catholic that I'd go so far as to call them mild. A few weeks ago I made the decision to attempt to remove my name from the church, and today I made a start. I spoke to my mum (it was her decision to have me baptised and I felt the need to discuss this with her beforehand) and she was really cool about it. She said she'd known all of this about me since I was a kid. We had a good chat about it all. Sweet.

The next step was ok too. I spoke to a member of the local Catholic Diocese on the phone, and he said I just needed to go to the church where I was baptised. I can imagine this would be an issue for a lot of people who are far away from the place they were baptised, but luckily I'm heading home to see the folks soon and it's a 5 minute drive from them. So all of that was ok for me, and although he was a bit cold on the phone the guy was totally helpful (unless he was just fielding my call), and this is something I really want to do...

So I guess my question is why do I feel so frickin' terrible?

Cam

- Good Omens, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
Old 10th April 2015, 12:07 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

Default Re: Finally taking some steps

Guilt, and the irrational conferring of, is something the Catholics mastered long ago.

Haven't met a catholic or ex-catholic yet who didn't have a guilt problem.

Old 10th April 2015, 02:42 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Quote:
Loki said View Post
Guilt, and the irrational conferring of, is something the Catholics mastered long ago.

This and this again. as not a catholic I have noticed it also.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 10th April 2015, 03:24 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Loki said View Post
Strangely my sister went from jewish to catholic as judaism is too guilt based.
Old 10th April 2015, 05:53 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

I mentioned Catholic guilt to a Jewish colleague once and she just laughed. Your pathetic catholic guilt is feeble compared to our monumental Jewish version, she said.

As for feeling frickin' terrible, well..... I have had nothing but contempt for the Catholic religion since I broke away in the 70s, and the target has been the clerical leadership. But when I think about the ordinary Catholics, like my very mild, moderate and not strictly observant relatives it's different. And sooooo many people who tick Catholic on the census form are also selective cherry-pickers, I think a lot of them a much closer to the atheist side of the spectrum than they are to the believers. Thinking about the associated ethnic background (vague Irishness on my part) also adds to the sentiment.

I think I'd feel bad about leaving all that behind, but not the dogma and the clerical authorities who lay it down. That's what you're resigning from.

You're not leaving the good bits behind, you're just picking fewer cherries than the people who are not formally quitting the religion. And hopefully more of them will learn from your example and leave those rotten ones on the tree.

Last edited by stylofone; 10th April 2015 at 05:55 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 10th April 2015, 08:40 PM
What Me Deluded?

Cheers Nephrurus. I think you'll feel better in the morning.
Old 10th April 2015, 11:05 PM
Wonder if the beer tastes as good?
Super Moderator

Quote:
Nephrurus said View Post
So I guess my question is why do I feel so frickin' terrible?
I would hazard a guess it might also be because at some level, there's a feeling that you're giving up a part of your life or identity.

If I may observe: it's likely a part that you never wanted or needed.

Good luck with it.
Old 11th April 2015, 02:54 AM
AFA Member

To the OP, I feel the same sometimes, this little twang of guilt deep inside, it is unavoidable when you are brought up in a system and you are leaving it behind.

Just remember why you are leaving it behind and that they are the ones (their system) that imprinted that guilty programme, just another reminder why you left..

Quote:
stylofone said View Post
I mentioned Catholic guilt to a Jewish colleague once and she just laughed. Your pathetic catholic guilt is feeble compared to our monumental Jewish version, she said.
Lol I can imagine that, I suppose at least the Catholics believe they get a reward for all that baggage when they die..

Last edited by joele; 11th April 2015 at 02:57 AM.
Old 11th April 2015, 01:42 PM

In that I am a little envious. Ignorance is bliss and ignorance of reality is really blissful. lmao
Old 15th April 2015, 04:48 PM

I was raised in an atheist household and don't know about religious guilt, so this could all be bollocks, but

If you are feeling really bad about it you know you don't have to do anything. I assume you aren't supporting the church in any meaningful way, you are just on their books.

The most important thing here is how this affects you. If you think you can't live another minute on the books of a religion because principles/honour, then resign. If resigning is going to make your belly writhe and keep you awake then don't. Pick whichever line causes you the least stress. No-one worth their salt is going to care either way. Your family certainly don't, they love you.

You didn't have to send the Tooth Fairy a letter to tell her not to call any more.