Go Back   AFA Forums > AFA > AFA Media Releases & Announcements

AFA Media Releases & Announcements Feel free to comment on issues the AFA is involved with.

Old 2nd April 2015, 11:11 AM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

Default Media Release: A Cold Day in Hell for Reclaim Australia

The Atheist Foundation of Australia (AFA) does not support the Reclaim Australia protests which are to be staged around the country on 4th of April 2015. While the AFA does not promote, advocate, or endorse religious beliefs, we also cannot support ignorance, bigotry, jingoism, racism, or xenophobia.

It is important that everyone understand some basic facts:
  1. Sharia law is not being enforced anywhere in Australia. It is fear mongering to even make the suggestion, or imply that all Australians will one day live under Islamic religious rule.
  2. There is no credible evidence that halal certification funds terrorism.
  3. Banning the burqa is an infringement of personal liberties. We would prefer that people to learn why such religious attire is unnecessary and choose not to wear it voluntarily.
One of the aims of the AFA is “to encourage and to provide a means of expression for informed free-thought on philosophical and social issues". We encourage all Australians to reject ignorance, bigotry, persecution, racism, xenophobia, and these divisive and misguided protests.

This is protest coordinated by Christian groups. The “Rise Up Australia Party" is the political arm of the "Catch the Fire Ministries", known for their extreme and offensive statements, such as that the Black Saturday Bushfires were God's punishment for abortion laws in Victoria. Based on the policies and pronouncements that we have seen so far, it would be a cold day in Hell before before the AFA could endorse anything from RUAP, and this protest is no exception.

We encourage all Australians to reject ignorance, bigotry, persecution and xenophobia - and these divisive protests, which unfortunately embody all of those characteristics.

Michael Boyd

President
Atheist Foundation of Australia Inc
PO Box 1062
Lane Cove NSW 1595
Phone: (08) 8835 2269
Email: president@atheistfoundation.org.au

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Old 2nd April 2015, 02:29 PM
Omu'sata

Default Re: Media Release: A Cold Day in Hell for Reclaim Australia

Very well said.
Old 4th April 2015, 12:29 AM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Good statement.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 4th April 2015, 12:50 AM
Like a supermod without the lycra

We've had a few members not happy with it but by and large it's been well received
Old 4th April 2015, 10:34 AM
AFA Member

here here. endorsed by me
Old 4th April 2015, 10:35 AM
AFA Member

ps wtf do they mean reclaum Australia? terra nulius all over again?
Old 4th April 2015, 11:04 AM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Good statement.

Nationalism and the Christian right are a pretty toxic mix, and although the opposition to Islam in a rally like this might seem to be in sync with atheism, it conceals a rotten core that should be avoided like the plague.

I'd rather go to the anti-racist counter rally , and carry a placard saying "Atheists against Racism".
Old 4th April 2015, 06:14 PM
This man is a prophet...so we can't show you his face.

Well said. Thanks, everyone involved in the composition. Congrats.

Last edited by wiseguy; 4th April 2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 5th April 2015, 06:34 PM
Wonder if the beer tastes as good?
Super Moderator

Bill Shorten condemns 'exaggerated' fears of Reclaim Australia protesters in wake of heated rallies
Quote:
Opposition Leader Bill Shorten has ridiculed the anti-Islamic fears of Reclaim Australia protesters as "exaggerated" and unfounded.

Yesterday saw heated exchanges at protests around the country with the Reclaim Australia group facing off against supporters of multiculturalism.

The largest gathering was in Melbourne where protesters from both sides pressed against police officers charged with the responsibility of separating the two groups.

Mr Shorten today told Channel Nine the Reclaim Australia group's concerns about sharia law in Australia were unfounded.

"This idea somehow that there's a big conspiracy amongst the Muslim minority to bring in sharia law is just completely exaggerated, I think it is really wrong to tar everyone in a minority with the view," Mr Shorten said.
Old 5th April 2015, 06:50 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Yes, the .01% (probably an overstatement) of the 2.2% of the Australian population who are muslim, who want sharia law are a real chance of making it happen.

Gay marriage laws, which is supported by the majority of the population, got struck down - but sharia law is a live possibility... FFS, I wish it was laughable.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess