Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Global Atheist Convention Forum

Global Atheist Convention Forum All discussions regarding the AFA's Global Atheist Conventions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 29th January 2015, 03:02 PM
workmx's Avatar
workmx workmx is offline
Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Canberra
Posts: 6,153
Default Re: GAC 2015

Quote:
timewave said View Post
Not sure that telling everyone we are more ethical than them is going to endear us to anyone.

'HiThere!, Have you heard of atheism and atheists? We're much the same as you, except we are more ethical. Have a nice day now, ya hear?'

Maybe calling christians stupid isn't the most heart-warming either?
Let's face it, we suck at PR
I think that we are bad at story-telling.

We may be right, but as you say being blunt about it doesn't help.

Seth Andrews makes this point all the time.

It would be handy if he would come to Australia and we could have a chance to pick his brain....

Oh wait!
__________________
Forgive me, I'm a sociologist and high horse slut!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 29th January 2015, 03:05 PM
Darwinsbulldog's Avatar
Darwinsbulldog Darwinsbulldog is offline
AFA Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Perth
Posts: 18,685
Default Re: GAC 2015

Quote:
timewave said View Post
Not sure that telling everyone we are more ethical than them is going to endear us to anyone.

'HiThere!, Have you heard of atheism and atheists? We're much the same as you, except we are more ethical. Have a nice day now, ya hear?'

Maybe calling christians stupid isn't the most heart-warming either?
Let's face it, we suck at PR
That was for private consumption, not a media release. Atheists can be bad, but at least we don't follow religious morality, which is usually bad.
__________________
Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 8th April 2015, 05:18 AM
Chiropterous hominid's Avatar
Chiropterous hominid Chiropterous hominid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: The TARDIS
Posts: 1,512
Default Re: GAC 2015

Quote:
knowledge is power said View Post
I think they're still on, but as they are 'global' they will be in different countries every year.
Who knows when it will come back to Australia?
We should host our own National Atheist Convention. We at the AFA should be able to organize something of the kind.
__________________
We need to ditch the dogma and begin using our brains.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 8th April 2015, 05:03 PM
Lord Blackadder's Avatar
Lord Blackadder Lord Blackadder is offline
Minister for Religious Genocide
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble
Posts: 5,969
Default Re: GAC 2015

We did. Twice. In 2010 and 2012. :-)


Sent from my iPhone using magic technology thingy application thingy.
__________________
If atheism were true, why do cats have pretty stripes on them?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 8th April 2015, 10:51 PM
Chiropterous hominid's Avatar
Chiropterous hominid Chiropterous hominid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: The TARDIS
Posts: 1,512
Default Re: GAC 2015

Is there any chance of a 20016 event? This might give us some time to prepare for it.
__________________
We need to ditch the dogma and begin using our brains.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 8th April 2015, 11:41 PM
Goldenmane's Avatar
Goldenmane Goldenmane is offline
Cuss-tard
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 7,400
Default Re: GAC 2015

Quote:
Chiropterous hominid said View Post
Is there any chance of a 20016 event? This might give us some time to prepare for it.
A millennium and a year? Yeah, should be enough time.

Hell, it's even more than that, yeah?
__________________
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 9th April 2015, 03:38 PM
TokenSkeptic's Avatar
TokenSkeptic TokenSkeptic is offline
AFA Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 843
Default Re: GAC 2015

Quote:
Chiropterous hominid said View Post
We should host our own National Atheist Convention. We at the AFA should be able to organize something of the kind.
Ooh yes.

let's have that Lawrence Leung fellow as an MC he's nice.

and some random podcaster who wears a lot of black, always a draw.

(ignore me, rain, bad day and argh....)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 9th April 2015, 03:40 PM
TokenSkeptic's Avatar
TokenSkeptic TokenSkeptic is offline
AFA Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 843
Default Re: GAC 2015

Quote:
Chiropterous hominid said View Post
Is there any chance of a 20016 event? This might give us some time to prepare for it.
Three events in under six months already:

- Dawkins and Cannold
- Unholy Trinity
- Robin Ince

AFA have also lent support in a variety of ways to other groups like Think Inc and that Boghossian tour that's heading out soon.

Please feel free to advertise the Ince tour in the meantime, to help make future events feasible, is my strong opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 9th April 2015, 03:41 PM
TokenSkeptic's Avatar
TokenSkeptic TokenSkeptic is offline
AFA Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 843
Default Re: GAC 2015

Quote:
Goldenmane said View Post
The GAC's were run by the old guard of the AFA. As far as I know, no-one of the organisers of GAC 1 and 2 is still part of the committee. I've heard nothing about a GAC being held anywhere else in the coming years.

I know djarm is keen, or was a few years ago. It's a fucking nighmare to organise. I wouldn't try it, especially given that some 'leading lights' are demanding upwards of ten grand t appear and speak these days. I'd tell 'em to fuck off happily, and get in people who just wanted to tell the stories that need to be told.
I'd pay to hear a live reading of a Goldenmane rant. He can even hide behind one of those TISM costume or have a stand in, that'd be fun.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 9th April 2015, 07:17 PM
Lord Blackadder's Avatar
Lord Blackadder Lord Blackadder is offline
Minister for Religious Genocide
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble
Posts: 5,969
Default Re: GAC 2015

Quote:
TokenSkeptic said View Post
Quote:
Goldenmane said View Post
The GAC's were run by the old guard of the AFA. As far as I know, no-one of the organisers of GAC 1 and 2 is still part of the committee. I've heard nothing about a GAC being held anywhere else in the coming years.

I know djarm is keen, or was a few years ago. It's a fucking nighmare to organise. I wouldn't try it, especially given that some 'leading lights' are demanding upwards of ten grand t appear and speak these days. I'd tell 'em to fuck off happily, and get in people who just wanted to tell the stories that need to be told.
I'd pay to hear a live reading of a Goldenmane rant. He can even hide behind one of those TISM costume or have a stand in, that'd be fun.
I thought Goldenmane was TISM...
__________________
If atheism were true, why do cats have pretty stripes on them?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +11. The time now is 01:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.