Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Getting started

Getting started New to atheism or still in the process of removing those final theistic indoctrinations?

Old 13th April 2014, 04:33 PM
This man is a prophet...so we can't show you his face.

Default Jesus had sex?

Anybody else familiar with this story, or is this already old hat?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/10/science/scrap-of-papyrus-referring-to-jesus-wife-is-likely-to-be-ancient-scientists-say.html?emc=eta1&_r=0

Attached Files
File Type: pdf S0017816014000133a.pdf (491.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 14th April 2014, 12:44 AM
Wonder if the beer tastes as good?
Super Moderator

Default Re: Jesus had sex?

I'm not familiar with it, TBH - apart from being similar to a plotline of The Da Vinci Code?

FWIW, it's something that Bart Ehrman has talked about, most recently here.
Old 14th April 2014, 01:24 AM

I wouldn't call 800 CE 'ancient' tbh.
Old 14th April 2014, 11:52 AM
AFA Member

Well, in the magical world of religion Jesus & wife Mary M were both celibate, and produced offspring!

Several European lines of Royality owe their rule by devine right because they are meant to be offspring of the pregnant Mary M & some rug-rats when they fled Isreal for France after Jesus got the electric chair-erm I mean firing squad-lethal injection-whatever.....
Old 14th April 2014, 11:21 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

I'm a bit fed up with accounts over 80 years later, and in this case some centuries later, being cited by excited theists as "primary documents".

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 14th April 2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
I'm a bit fed up with accounts over 80 years later, and in this case some centuries later, being cited by excited theists as "primary documents".
In this case theists are mostly howling 'fake' rather than 'primary document', so not sure what your point is.
Old 14th April 2014, 11:35 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Quote:
borealis said View Post
In this case theists are mostly howling 'fake' rather than 'primary document', so not sure what your point is.
Sorry, not feeling well so not expressing myself clearly. In this case crying fake is a waste of time, because its a meaningless document. and the concern about jeebus bonking somebody is just part of the fantasy land concerns that they exhibit all the time.

Pardon me if I'm sounding abrupt, I think I should get some sleep. 'night.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 14th April 2014, 11:50 PM

Sleep well.
Old 15th April 2014, 04:13 PM
Explorer of Inner Space

Dis Jesus have sex?

Well I always did wonder exactly what was meant in the story where Jesus 'rode' a donkey into a village.

Old 18th April 2014, 03:22 AM

I read that he didn't actually exist. Heaps of people were named "Yeshus" back then (what Jesus's name originally was). The scrap could have been anyone.

Egyptians, who kept meticulous records of everything never kept records of enslaving the Jews. So there is lots of fallible stuff in there.

At the end of the day, Jesus is depicted as a white man despite being born in the middle east. Historical attention to detail isn't exactly the hallmark of Christianity.

I am pretty sure any man who goes through adolescence is going to wanna put his junk in something, even if it is a Donkey, lol.

Royal donkeys in France?