Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an Atheist

Ask an Atheist Want to know Atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the Atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 16th September 2009, 12:01 PM

Default Re: How Do You Ascertain Intelligence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
So for example a computer may be perceived as being smarter than a human - because even though it has an extraordinarily low intellect - it has a much superior processing speed. If it had the same processing speed as a human it would definitely look much dumber.
humm... I agree with you. Computer speeds are ever improving, and if it's too slow, hook up 2, 3 or more together. If we were able to program them exactly like a humans thought and learning process, then they'd surpass us.

However on another note. I just realised that, we could (don't know if it's possible) also be slow because of the additional real world info which we need to process together with the simple instructions. Like running Windows XP. Lots of stuff happening in the background which we don't see.

Then of course there's the problem of human laziness, and the refusal to think. That gives computers an edge over us.

Those who care, already knows. Those Who don't know never would want to know. Therefore to think has no benefit but to self??
Old 16th September 2009, 12:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoer View Post
humm... I agree with you. Computer speeds are ever improving, and if it's too slow, hook up 2, 3 or more together. If we were able to program them exactly like a humans thought and learning process, then they'd surpass us.

However on another note. I just realised that, we could (don't know if it's possible) also be slow because of the additional real world info which we need to process together with the simple instructions. Like running Windows XP. Lots of stuff happening in the background which we don't see.

Then of course there's the problem of human laziness, and the refusal to think. That gives computers an edge over us.
Remember when considering the speed of the natural brain - not necessarily human brain - but also any brain - that it works on chemical reactions if I am not mistaken.

Computers work merely on electrical signals alone.

Also there are advantages and disadvantages in both computers vs brains.

For example brains may be able to think and process information that is more complex than any computer can process currently, it appears not to be able to do so due to its lack of speed.

But the brain is not susceptible to errors due to cosmic radiation as our modern new age computers with small processors (like 45nm process and below for example) are.
Old 16th September 2009, 02:27 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Irreverent Mr Black View Post
Welcome to part of my world. If I concentrate hard enough on a task, I don't feel pain, hunger or other prompts from my body. (Fortunately, this model is equipped with the Large bladder.)

The downside is that it only takes a squealy fluoro light, some bozo across the creek playing a doof-doof car stereo, or other nuisance that wouldn't matter much to neurotypical people, and I can't get into concentration mode.

And breaking the concentration? My wife can come in with coffee, unexpectedly, when I'm deeply into writing something long, but if she doesn't make a noise at the door, my startle repsonse can be... well... startling!
I have a similar problem too with that sort of thing. I wear earplugs everyday as well and sunglasses even at night occasionally.

I must admit that - this goes into the intelligence topic of this thread too - that when you see really smart people and you can't do as much as them - it makes you appear/feel stupid.

But when you see people who are not as smart and can't do too many things you feel like a superhero and very intelligent.
Old 16th September 2009, 09:12 PM
Angel ~ duties: Mod

Quote:
So for example a computer may be perceived as being smarter than a human - because even though it has an extraordinarily low intellect - it has a much superior processing speed. If it had the same processing speed as a human it would definitely look much dumber.

So I would say that intelligence as people see it is actually perceived intelligence - which has multiple parameters.
I have a slow processor and low ram. My hard disk drive is also full of bad sectors. I don't feel very intelligent, when I look at it this way.
Old 16th September 2009, 09:38 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheist_angel View Post
I have a slow processor and low ram. My hard disk drive is also full of bad sectors. I don't feel very intelligent, when I look at it this way.
I don't have a hard disk - I use a disc pack - the 40KB packs. I do however have an 8 inch floppy drive.

I wrote another thread about human analog to computers or something like that - called cyborg - but it didn't get many responses.

Last edited by Sir Patrick Crocodile; 16th September 2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 16th September 2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I don't have a hard disk - I use a disc pack - the 40KB packs. I do however have an 8 inch floppy drive.

I wrote another thread about human analog to computers or something like that - called cyborg - but it didn't get many responses.
Well that was a little more information than I expected, lol.
Old 17th September 2009, 10:30 AM

Haha....

Well, I'm using an obsolete processor, with barely enough ram. And there's this little problem with the harddisk; Old info seems to be stuck there, while having difficulties retaining new ones.

It achieves the same results by leaving it on through out the day.
Old 17th September 2009, 05:00 PM

I'm still debugging...
Old 18th September 2009, 02:18 PM

My late father had an infallible method of ascertaining the intellect of others.It remains popular with the general population and most forums.

ANYONE who agreed with dad was of obviously high intellect

ANYONE who disagreed was a moron.

In my family this is known as "The Bob Hawke School Of Argument" OR "The Aussie Rules Method" IE you kick the ball only if you can't kick the man.

I'm unaware of any simple, universally accepted definition of intelligence.Hard to measure something one can't define.

Last edited by Seamus; 18th September 2009 at 02:28 PM.