Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Coming Out Stories

Coming Out Stories Share the story of your path to Atheism.

Old 21st August 2013, 07:01 PM
Wonder if the beer tastes as good?
Super Moderator

Default Re: The Joys of Catholicism!

@ralfy: methinks your concerns are off-topic, regarding the OP of this thread.

Please avoid derailing threads, as a courtesy to others.

You are welcome to start separate threads dedicated to the matters you raised, if you wish.

I will be looking at separating any OT postings into an Overspill thread a little later.

Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd August 2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Logic please said View Post
@ralfy: methinks your concerns are off-topic, regarding the OP of this thread.

Please avoid derailing threads, as a courtesy to others.

You are welcome to start separate threads dedicated to the matters you raised, if you wish.

I will be looking at separating any OT postings into an Overspill thread a little later.

Thanks in advance.
I am not derailing the thread. I am questioning this fear of "control" in Catholicism.

That is, several have moved away from Catholicism because of "control". But why is it that for others--both Catholic and otherwise--this is not cause for concern?
Old 22nd August 2013, 01:28 AM
Wonder if the beer tastes as good?
Super Moderator

@ralfy: you do realise that this is posted in "Coming Out Stories"???
Quote:
ralfy said View Post
I am not derailing the thread. I am questioning this fear of "control" in Catholicism.

That is, several have moved away from Catholicism because of "control". But why is it that for others--both Catholic and otherwise--this is not cause for concern? (emphasis mine)
So, are you suggesting that contributions to this thread about peoples' lived experiences are somehow invalid, simply because you claim they're not universally shared, including by you? Or because you might choose to prioritise other concerns higher?

Otherwise, how do your tu quoques relate to the other discussions in this thread, and the purpose of this subforum?

D'you accept that it's possible that for some people, the fear and control from being indoctrinated since childhood about eternal torment and hellfire for not adhering to prehistoric behavioural codes, might loom rather large on their psychological landscape?

Last edited by Logic please; 22nd August 2013 at 01:53 AM.
Old 23rd August 2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Logic please said View Post
@ralfy: you do realise that this is posted in "Coming Out Stories"???

So, are you suggesting that contributions to this thread about peoples' lived experiences are somehow invalid, simply because you claim they're not universally shared, including by you? Or because you might choose to prioritise other concerns higher?

Otherwise, how do your tu quoques relate to the other discussions in this thread, and the purpose of this subforum?

D'you accept that it's possible that for some people, the fear and control from being indoctrinated since childhood about eternal torment and hellfire for not adhering to prehistoric behavioural codes, might loom rather large on their psychological landscape?
My apologies! I didn't realize the purpose of this forum section.
Old 18th September 2013, 12:42 AM

Hi Ralphy, Et al:

In spite of some slight diversion, I'm pleased that my post has stimulated some discussion.

If you will permit me, I would like to add a further anecdote to the topic of my Roman Catholic experiences.

About 1942, as a five-year old new boy, in the infants class at St Theresa's Roman Catholic Elementary School, I recall putting up my hand and asking Mrs Donnelly, the teacher, if I could, "go to the lavatory?"

"Oh Children!" she reacted, with mock horror. "Isn't he a rude boy! What should he say?"
To which question all the children responded dutifully, "Please Miss, may I go to the toilet?"

Of course, I felt chastened and humiliated.

Ridicule and violence seemed to be the main tools that teachers, of my experience, employed to maintain discipline in those days.

From the leg slapping with rulers in the lower grades, we eventually graduated to the sadistic wrath of "Sister Basil, The Basher".

I don't know if the nun in the picture below, is really Sister Basil, but she is the image of the nightmare that remains in my brain.

I must admit that I do regret and resent the fact that my early years were not spent in a more nurturing environment.

However, I take some comfort in the fact that the Catholic Church was unable to totally extinguish the light of reason in my brain and curtail my search for answers.

"You think too much boy! All the thinking has been done for you, all you need to do is believe."

Last edited by Phroso; 18th September 2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old 18th September 2013, 11:07 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Phroso said View Post
Hi Ralphy, Et al:

In spite of some slight diversion, I'm pleased that my post has stimulated some discussion.

If you will permit me, I would like to add a further anecdote to the topic of my Roman Catholic experiences.

About 1942, as a five-year old new boy, in the infants class at St Theresa's Roman Catholic Elementary School, I recall putting up my hand and asking Mrs Donnelly, the teacher, if I could, "go to the lavatory?"

"Oh Children!" she reacted, with mock horror. "Isn't he a rude boy! What should he say?"
To which question all the children responded dutifully, "Please Miss, may I go to the toilet?"

Of course, I felt chastened and humiliated.

Ridicule and violence seemed to be the main tools that teachers, of my experience, employed to maintain discipline in those days.

From the leg slapping with rulers in the lower grades, we eventually graduated to the sadistic wrath of "Sister Basil, The Basher".

I don't know if the nun in the picture below, is really Sister Basil, but she is the image of the nightmare that remains in my brain.

I must admit that I do regret and resent the fact that my early years were not spent in a more nurturing environment.

However, I take some comfort in the fact that the Catholic Church was unable to totally extinguish the light of reason in my brain and curtail my search for answers.

"You think too much boy! All the thinking has been done for you, all you need to do is believe."

I must admit she is a formidable looking adversary. To be fair though Phroso she was only looking after your eternal soul. Give the woman a break, apart from an occasional priestly visit the woman never got a bonk and had to take it out on someone.

On second thoughts, after looking at the photo again, I think the occasional priestly bonk may be in question. The poor woman wasn't getting any!
Has equal claim to immortality.

Last edited by Sten; 18th September 2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 20th September 2013, 10:36 PM
AFA Member

It would seem that God is changing his mind again!

Our current Pontiff, (who's word is the same as God's remember - "whatever you shall loose on Earth shall be loosed in heaven etc."), is now changing the Catholic stance on stuff like homosexuality and abortion, and God has to toe the line.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-2...ession/4970058
Has equal claim to immortality.
Old 18th December 2013, 08:09 PM

Unhappy Re: The Joys of Catholicism!

I used to be catholic, and I remember the exact moment when I realised it was all a pile of horseshit.

I was 6 years old, and in mass where we preppies sat in the first few front pews. I had always admired the magic of "the bells" ringing whenever the priest would lift up the host into the air. Was there a magic button?!

And then one mass I was sitting on the edge and when the moment came, I finally saw the alter boys, hidden away, ringing the bells. Man, I was so disappointed!
Old 20th December 2013, 12:14 AM
What Me Deluded?

Yes, indeed. Serious business, this Battle For The Mind.

We're getting out of this town for our daughter's sake. The catholic schools are the best here, for inculcating inclusion, anti-bullying, for providing a nurturant environment, not like the bad old days. The religion they are subjected to concerns us. She has now finished primary. She cried. Fond memories.

The catholic secondary school is also the best in a tough town. The religion text book is hefty.

She has a very attractive nature. Thoughtful, respectful. I want her to be fearlessly discerning and to feel she's permitted to be assertive when it's required. I want her to be a critical thinker, an atheist, actually. Well, she is, but atheist as a conscious, important part of her self identity, to show intellectual courage.

We've got to liberate her, place her in a better school.
Old 22nd January 2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
the_gelf said View Post
I went to a Catholic School for year 11 +12. We had some rubbish ceremony once where only those who had been communised were supposed to drink the wine and eat the bread.

Mmm wine. Bread was a bit tasteless.
The school my son goes too has a hall of fame building which is a converted church building, no religion in sight, just photos and stories of the great achievements of former students, I took one look at that building and enrolled my son there, Nuff said