Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > General Chit Chat About Atheism

General Chit Chat About Atheism Something on your mind?

Old 27th June 2013, 07:19 PM
I've calculated your chance of survival, but I don't think you'll like it.

Default Christianity and atheism are two sides of the same coin

Thought some might get something out of discussing this bollocks*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by some berk in The Guardian
Faith or no faith, and whether you're enthusiastic, indifferent or apoplectic, the [prayer] breakfast is a brilliant example of why public ritual matters. Those of us with no faith have a lot to learn about the value of halting the normal rhythms of life and stopping to reflect. We could all benefit from prayer breakfasts, or at least something akin to such a metaphysical break.

*I'm known for my temperate and even-handed ways me, no well poisoning for me. Nuh-uh.

Old 28th June 2013, 12:31 AM
-

Default Re: Christianity and atheism are two sides of the same coin

But Loki, he's right! We could all benefit from prayer breakfasts. We can be schoolboys again and install whoopee cushions on the chairs and prepare to claim "Hark! An angel doth spoken!" It would be entertainment like it had never been done before.
Old 28th June 2013, 06:39 AM
I AM YOUR DOG

It may be confirmation bias but the comments (as far as I read) seemed to agree that the article was basically a wet fart, initially a relief and warming but on reflection leaves you with an uncomfortable smelly residue, not fit for sharing.
I quite like this comment (my bold):
Quote:
Nicky Morgan MP says she's in parliament not only for her constituents, but "to remember the Word of God and serve the Lord.

No, Darling. Your there to listen to the word of the people you serve. Your constituents. God doesn't vote...
"There were other prayers too: one for the government"
I find myself praying for a government, too..
"one for the nation"
God didn't create Britain. People did...
"Christianity and atheism are two sides of the same coin"
That sounds profound, but under closer analysis it's just pure wind, isn't it? It doesn't actually mean anything...
"Those of us with no faith have a lot to learn about the value of halting the normal rhythms of life and stopping to reflect"
Have I missed the meeting where religion was declared to have a monopoly on reflection?
Old 28th June 2013, 11:27 AM
WubWub

Quote:
The core of the hour-long programme belonged not to God but to Richard Dawkins, as did one of the post-breakfast seminars. In his 25-minute keynote address, Dawkins' fellow Oxonian, the mathematician John Lennox, set out to rebut new atheism, arguing that science and religion are complementary rather than antithetical, and that faith and knowledge are both central to who and what we are as humans.
Did Dawkins attend and speak? Or did they just discuss him and his views in his absence?

From the transcript of John Lennox's speech at the breakfast:

Quote:
However, science has not buried God. The irony is that it was the Bible that saturated Europe with the idea that a rational, intelligent God created and sustains the universe and set the stage for modern science. “Men became scientific because they expected law in nature and they expected law in nature because they believed in a lawgiver” (C.S. Lewis). Far from belief in God hindering science, it was the motor that drove science.
What the fuck?

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
― Alan Moore, V for Vendetta
Old 28th June 2013, 11:42 AM
I've calculated your chance of survival, but I don't think you'll like it.

Well he's partially right. Men (mostly, tells ya something right there) did indeed do science to show the glory of gawd's creation. When the results showed absence rather than glory the good ones accepted the results. Others did not, their intellectual descendants are still with us.

The whole 'religious people invented science therefore gawd' schtick is just another in a large steaming pile of reason failure.

Old 28th June 2013, 11:45 AM
WubWub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Well he's partially right. Men (mostly, tells ya something right there) did indeed do science to show the glory of gawd's creation. When the results showed absence rather than glory the good ones accepted the results. Others did not, their intellectual descendants are still with us.

The whole 'religious people invented science therefore gawd' schtick is just another in a large steaming pile of reason failure.
True, but they're still trying to claim a Science/god compatibility. I should have included the next couple of paragraphs.

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
― Alan Moore, V for Vendetta
Old 28th June 2013, 03:13 PM
I am a fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Patrick Crocodile View Post
But Loki, he's right! We could all benefit from prayer breakfasts. We can be schoolboys again and install whoopee cushions on the chairs and prepare to claim "Hark! An angel doth spoken!" It would be entertainment like it had never been done before.
What on earth is a "prayer breakfast", I don't need to pray for my breakfast. I just go to the fridge.
[odd]The immenseness of the universe - and Jesus sitting on the outside worried whether a species, that happens to be alive during a blip on the timeline of existence, is masterbating or not. Priceless.
[Goldenmane]To put it another way: I can be charitable without dogma, and if you preach at me as a condition for accepting your help, then you can fuck off.

Theists! Don't forget to read the Great Big List before posting.
Goldenmane’s Third Rule of Public Discourse
Goldenmane's Exposition On Rule Fucking Three