Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Getting started

Getting started New to atheism or still in the process of removing those final theistic indoctrinations?

Old 2nd June 2013, 11:37 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Default Re: Scared

The thing about the bible, King James Version, is that it was written in 1611 by an 8 man committee from good ol' C of E. They edited it for the benefit of their patrons.

The "original" biblical texts, over 8,000 of them, all a bit alike and a lot different, were written long after the last of the apostles died and played with a lot by Constantine.

The older texts, the old testament, are loose translations of the judaic scripts that, well, are fucking bonkers.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 3rd June 2013, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Scared

Hi, FTRF!

Don't feel too discouraged. Your family will come around. When I very first became an atheist, I was around your age. My parents thought I was crazy, that I was demon-possessed, you name it. But I kept reading and I kept talking to them. Now, both my mom and my brother are agnostic, and my dad is practically an apostate. He still believes in god but he doesn't go to church or any of that.

I struggled, myself, with the whole idea of atheism. I studied other religions, and tried to define myself around them. Until finally I gave up religion altogether. I am teaching my daughter about science and critical thinking. She wants to learn more about how caterpillars become butterflies, and she wants a telescope for her birthday. I couldn't be more proud!

I'm sorry you couldn't get an apprenticeship to become a chef. I know it was a dream of yours. But maybe the IT thing will be good for you; there's always a job market for them

Thanks so much for sharing your story. Don't give up on your family or your dreams
God sounds worse than Satan. If God does exist, he is a cruel crybaby with a penchant for burnt sacrifices and eternal torment. "It's your choice, but if you don't want to worship ME, I'm sending you to hell!! Bwahahahahaha!!!!"