Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Getting started

Getting started New to atheism or still in the process of removing those final theistic indoctrinations?

Old 7th June 2013, 08:26 PM
What Me Deluded?

Default Re: Letting go

JediVerse,

That's very cool. One wonders how such 'liberal,' trying to be academically authentic colleges, can still identify themselves with Christianity, which must retain some core orthodoxy. Is Christianity chameleon-like? Guess so, adaptation for survival. As with the Copernican Revolution. Liberals within the Anglican denomination, and an old acquaintance/former associate of mine claim Darwinism is no longer a problem there. Well, maybe within liberal academia. Why remain 'Christian' at all, unless one has so much personally invested, one can't just extricate oneself, like that? It's boring to contemplate it.
Old 9th June 2013, 11:47 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Strato said View Post
JediVerse,

That's very cool. One wonders how such 'liberal,' trying to be academically authentic colleges, can still identify themselves with Christianity, which must retain some core orthodoxy. Is Christianity chameleon-like? Guess so, adaptation for survival. As with the Copernican Revolution. Liberals within the Anglican denomination, and an old acquaintance/former associate of mine claim Darwinism is no longer a problem there. Well, maybe within liberal academia. Why remain 'Christian' at all, unless one has so much personally invested, one can't just extricate oneself, like that? It's boring to contemplate it.
Is Christianity chamelon-like?

I would agree with this given all the variations and colors now on the market. We now even have Christian clergy that appear to not have any real belief in the factual content of the Bible. Guys like John Shelby Spong for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rSid...ture=endscreen
Old 11th June 2013, 07:21 PM
What Me Deluded?

Yes, Sten,

There is a divide happening within the many headed beast, like a split personality. There are your 'liberals,' who ostensibly condone modernism.

Then there are your Hillsong fundamentalist nutjobs.

The liberals (some 'academic' Wesleyan Methodists, maybe some within Anglican circles) distance themselves from the 'hyperliteralists.'

Yet they are inextricably, or is it 'inalienably' in bed together, tied up, as it were, defending the indefensible.

Last edited by Strato; 11th June 2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: decipherability
Old 18th June 2013, 09:37 PM

It felt like this! A song being played on the radio around that time that, in the way that songs sometimes do, came to take on a particular meaning for me It was wonderful.

FTO
Old 18th June 2013, 11:38 PM

I dont think I ever had a religion to let go of tbh. No pressure really.
Old 19th June 2013, 07:58 PM
What Me Deluded?

Yes, Yoshirama,

Pressure, that sums it up.
Old 19th June 2013, 08:06 PM

Yes I had no religion to let go of. My family never attended a church on a sunday never read the bible. The closest think I got was those random Christian lessons in primary school(even though I went to a public school). ha
Old 31st July 2013, 10:07 PM

For me, as some others have mentioned, it was scary to finally let go of those last shreds of belief in god. Fear was always my main motivator to pray and continue to believe in god; I didn't want to go to hell. Simple as that. Even though I'd stopped attending church around the age of 18, I still maintained some kind of 'relationship' with god in my head that was essentially self-talk doused in guilt I'd learned as a child in church. As another member mentioned, I too found critical thinking by way of a social science degree, which set the wheels in motion for me. My lightbulb moment, however, was the discovery of the work of Irvin Yalom, a prominent figure in existential psychotherapy. His work on death anxiety, and how we all have it and what we do to try to avoid it, was MIND BLOWING. It set me free from that fear of eternal damnation. I can not convey just how comforting I found it to realise that in death, there is only oblivion. That's it. How incredibly freeing.
Old 1st August 2013, 10:05 PM
I don't know. I don't know what is going to happen.

It took some thought to remember just where the point of brain hemorrhage was
There was a U tuber whose name was Lovingdoubt (Stephanie). She had several videos of herself illustrating and acting out what the bible was actually demonstrating. Now you might think yes I read the bible too and it wasn't hard to see the immorality. But we do not always see the reality of the belief you take on and how it blindfolds you. This young lady, by her acting out the scenario of the scripture, she really revealed the truth of what the belief/s made you do. She was so good and became very known and unfortunately someone from her church recognised her from the U tube video and let everyone else know about her atheism. She later shut down all her content. Not sure what actually happened to her.
I'm sure I was still attending church when I first started watching her videos. Commonsense became my friend.
Old 11th August 2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Bolero said View Post
I would like to know about people's experiences of letting go of religion - not a coming out story, but the final moment when you freed yourself.

I'm just wondering what the last straw (or series of straws) was. And how did it feel when you finally let go?
The final straw for me was reading about the psychological effects of fundy-type christianity on a person. I recognised much of what was written, in what I had seen amongst christians. It scared me and made giving it all away fairly easy.

Amazingly, once I made that final decision, I felt like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I wondered why on earth had I waited so long to do this?