Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Ask an atheist

Ask an atheist Want to know atheists' viewpoints on things? Want to better understand the atheist worldview?
Here's the place.

Old 7th August 2009, 01:27 PM

Default Death

Sort of going along the lines of recent threads ie: Funerals....

I am wondering just what sort of death (way of dying) would freak you out?

To start off, for me it would be the thought of spontaneously combusting, especially if on that day, I had worn crappy shoes.
Old 7th August 2009, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Death

Who was that comedian who feared that he would be trampled to death by an enraged chicken?
Old 7th August 2009, 02:48 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Quote:
tandytripper said View Post

To start off, for me it would be the thought of spontaneously combusting, especially if on that day, I had worn crappy shoes.

Now I am guessing that your shoes would get burnt? So you want to burn with your good shoes on? I would have thought that to spontaneous combust, you would want to be wearing crappy shoes

I am terrified of flying but that would probably be a quick way because most of the time you become unconcious straight away in the air so that would be easy.
Dying in hospital after being paralysed for a year and not being able to speak would have to be the worst.
Old 7th August 2009, 04:17 PM

Suffocation of some kind, whether buried alive, drowning or things similar to that. OR anything that is extremely painful and agonisingly lengthy which is why I support euthanasia. I want my death to be quick and painless.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death - George Carlin (R.I.P.)
Old 7th August 2009, 11:32 PM
Anonymising my profile for a while...

As any of you may of guessed, any kind of death freaks me out. I don't live my life avoiding all possible situations that could lead to my death, but still, in the back of my mind I hold an unnatural fear of it.

Bring on cybernetics and let me live forever!
Old 7th August 2009, 11:48 PM

Drowning is my least favourite way to die. And freezing.
poor poor titanic...
Old 7th August 2009, 11:53 PM
Anonymising my profile for a while...

As to least favourite way to die, I'd have to say uncurable/irreversible amnesia.

I am a strong prescriber to the "your memories are all that makes you" view. Uncurable/irreversible amnesia is just like death, I'll cease to exist. The new mind will be someone else.
Old 8th August 2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
wolty said View Post
Now I am guessing that your shoes would get burnt? So you want to burn with your good shoes on? I would have thought that to spontaneous combust, you would want to be wearing crappy shoes
Well that is the creepy thing. The first time I had ever heard about it was when I was a kid and I saw some doco on the "paranormal". They showed images of what was supposedly the remains of people who had spontaneously combusted and the only bits of them that remained was part of a leg with shoes on and the shoes were not burnt; not even cinged. Occasionally, the nose was still left intact too, just not attached to any face. I had nightmares after seeing that doco for months after! Whether or not people DO actually spontaneously combust, I don't know, but the thought of it, freaks me out! lol

Quote:
Dying in hospital after being paralysed for a year and not being able to speak would have to be the worst.
Yes that would certainly be horrible.
Old 8th August 2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
GenericBox said View Post
As to least favourite way to die, I'd have to say uncurable/irreversible amnesia.

I am a strong prescriber to the "your memories are all that makes you" view. Uncurable/irreversible amnesia is just like death, I'll cease to exist. The new mind will be someone else.
You make a good point GenericBox. Quite profound. It would be horrifying to no longer be who you are or know who you were.
Old 8th August 2009, 08:21 AM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Quote:
tandytripper said View Post
Well that is the creepy thing. The first time I had ever heard about it was when I was a kid and I saw some doco on the "paranormal". They showed images of what was supposedly the remains of people who had spontaneously combusted and the only bits of them that remained was part of a leg with shoes on and the shoes were not burnt; not even cinged. Occasionally, the nose was still left intact too, just not attached to any face. I had nightmares after seeing that doco for months after! Whether or not people DO actually spontaneously combust, I don't know, but the thought of it, freaks me out! lol

Ah now I understand.Kinda like wearing clean underwear when getting hit by a bus.
I never really thought about shoes if I spontaneously combust. Have to make sure I always have good shoes on.