Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Old 8th July 2015, 11:38 AM
Trust me, I'm not a doctor.

Default Re: Goldenmane’s Third Rule of Public Discourse

Fuckin' A!

Old 8th July 2015, 02:38 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

Being a furriner Hack may not be familiar with our Aunty Jack.

Old 21st July 2015, 08:20 PM
What Me Deluded?

I get shitloads of pain. I need the lumbar fusion in two or three places. I had to quit the factory because I couldn't put my socks on for ten days. Alarming spasms, My dreams are invented scenarios to contextualise and explain the physical agony back to me.

I was climbing around in the big gnarly rambling old apple trees today, pruning with long handle cutters, stretching, thinking the branch is gonna break and so will my fucking neck, refusing to give up, concentrating on what I'm doing, hundreds of twigs and branches, breathing sound effects and groaning and carrying on, stressful. Trying for a good crop of a lovely variety of Jonathans this year, if the bees can do their job and not get decimated from nicotine spray on the massive canola crops.

I'm thinking 'rational skepticism must inevitably progress to atheism.' The AFA covers the waterfront.
Old 7th April 2016, 11:07 AM

I've been trawling over some old posts, specifically regarding the meltdown of RDF, and I came across something that should definitely be here. I'd started a 'Rule # Fucking 3' thread for people to vent about the closure of the forum, when who should happen along?

Quote:
Goooliesmange said
Quote:
hackenslash said
So, want to vent your fucking spleen? All getting a bit too fucking much for you? Do it here! Any post without lots of fucking expletives will receive a Dunsapy award for outstanding fucknuttery and missing the fucking point by light years.

No ad hominem please, only pure unadulterated fucking swearing.

I'll begin:

Twatshitfuckcuntbollocksarseholefuckfuckfuckfuckfu ckfuckfuckfuck.

Oh, and Goldenmane's a fucking cunt.
I suppose I'm somewhat obligated to respond.

I've been wondering a little about the possibility that Rule #3 may have added somewhat to Dick's Distaste, and the rather precipitous ramifications of it. Indeed, Dick's Distaste may in fact be a demonstration and vindication of Goldenmane's Third Rule of Public Discourse.

Dick, of course, is very much the English Gentleman. Which means, amongst other things, that he's fucking hidebound by notions of propriety. Sure, you can swear a little to make a point, providing all you're doing is quoting some other motherfucker who's obviously nowhere as refined as yourself: we have witnessed this in the two incidents of Dick swearing that come to mind, to whit him reading hate emails sent to him, and the famous quoting of a previous editor of New Scientist. At no point do I ever remember seeing any indication that Dick has the capacity to indulge in invective off his own bat. I daresay he'd probably be totally shit at it. He's pretty shit at a number of things, as I've pointed out once or twice before, one of these things being live debate. I'd much rather watch Hitch tear some moronic pile of foetid godbothering ass-fistery to shreds than watch Dick flounder about in the face of polished bullshit being flung at him. Dick is, after all, a fucking nerd. A fairly brave nerd in some respects, but still a fucking nerd for all that. That's fine, the world needs nerds.

Hell, I'm a fucking nerd in many respects. I'm probably better than Dick when it comes to live debate, but I'm still not all that great at it (although that's a failing I'm working on). I'm also physically largely the antithesis of the classic nerd, as anyone who's seen me in the flesh will attest. I did spend a decade and more training in martial arts and such, after all. It's just that I approached it from a nerdy perspective: I wanted to actually know my subject, and the best way to know the subject of violence (which is what the martial arts are ultimately about, after all) is to volunteer to have the shit kicked out of you by people who are really good at it, and attempt to return the favour. But I cunting-well digress, as I'm wont to do.

Hang on, need more beer.

Right, libation refreshed. Where was I?

Oh, yeah. I really think that Dick is uncomfortable with swearing. I always got the impression when watching him do it that he got a sort of schoolboy frisson from it, like he was being naughty and getting away with it, a kind of attempt to be cool or some shit. I don't swear because it's cool. I swear for many reasons, all of which are highlighted (or intended to be) by the formulation and practice of Rule #3. I'll include the explanation of Rule #3 at the end of this post, if I can find it.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Dick, if he were at all aware of the Book of RDF project, would have been fucking horrified, largely because of the inclusion of Rule #3. I also think he wouldn't have said anything about it, because there's nothing you can say about it or against it and not betray a fundamental lack of intellectual rigour. He knows that arguments against swearing are based in the shit-stained ignorance of magical thinking and that Rule #3 is simply a recognition of this, a celebration of it, and a pointed highlighting of it. There is nothing magical about the word cunt. Although certain types of cunts do have their (not so) mysteriously attractive qualities. I just think that Dick may well have been so properly raised as to have had a visceral recoiling from coarse language inculcated in him. I was always rather skeptical about whether he would ever allow the Book to go ahead so closely linked to his name. I was hoping he would, so I said nothing (I keep my own counsel on such things, as people may have guessed) but I have to admit I wasn't surprised that some form of fuckwittery intervened.

Not that I'm saying that I (and so many other wielders of Rule #3) killed the forum, of course. That would be arrogating an imperial fucktonne (somewhat larger than a metric fucktonne) of influence to myself and my compatriots in the fight against unreason in this issue more than I/we deserve. It almost certainly wasn't a factor that would have fallen on Dick's "Keep the forum going" side of the ledger.

[snip original text of rule #3]

Oh, and while I'm about it: hackenslash is a right cunt of a thing, and if I never get to have a beer with the fucker, I'll be so shit-flingingly pissed off that I'll personally invent a way to haunt this fucking world and drink all his goddamned beer from beyond the motherfucking grave.
Nowt like a bit of nostalgia to warm the cockles.

Old 8th April 2016, 12:06 AM

Dick might generally be uncomfortable with swearing. But there was the time at a press conference when he said
if you do not like science then you can fuck off. This was more humorous than malicious for Neil De Grasse Tyson
who was sitting next to him found it quite funny. And there was another time when he pleaded with the publisher
of one of his books to let the typo Large Hardon Collider stay uncorrected but it was apparently not worth her job
Old 9th April 2016, 08:06 AM

He was actually quoting Alun Anderson, editor of New Science magazine.
Old 26th June 2016, 03:27 PM

To anyone concerned,

May I share Rule # fucking 3 freely? Asking because I'd like to reference this thread.

edit: and quote from it.

Last edited by yowie; 26th June 2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 26th June 2016, 05:33 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
yowie said View Post
To anyone concerned,

May I share Rule # fucking 3 freely? Asking because I'd like to reference this thread.

edit: and quote from it.
Absolutely. It's been available to anyone who wishes since I first wrote it years ago. Public domain. Have at it.

@Goldenmane3

Like Logic please, wolty, wearestardust, yowie liked this post
Thank yowie thanked this post
Old 29th March 2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Goldenmane said View Post
It's about time I rewrote that for a more apposite usage - that particular version was intended for a book project that never got off the ground (yet!) and was only really a draft in any case.

EDM: No, words are not magical.
New blog post: Goldenmane's Third.

http://reciprocity-giving-something-...nes-third.html

Updated.