Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > Off Topic > Geek Speak - Tech Forum

Geek Speak - Tech Forum All things technology oriented.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 23rd May 2012, 02:58 PM
Seamus Seamus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,425
Default can't unzip a bunch of files.

Example: rev-dc3e.zip.083

There are over 30 of 'em

I've tried Win rar, Winzip and 7zip. I'm obviously doing something wrong or the files are corrupt.


Any ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23rd May 2012, 03:05 PM
wolty's Avatar
wolty wolty is offline
The Wolternator
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 17,102
Default Re: can't unzip a bunch of files.

Rename without the '.083' and try that. But keep a back up if it doesn't work, ie copy to a new area and work on that.

There are two file extensions, it should have only one.

rename each one to xxxxxxxx.zip where 'x' is the original name.
__________________
.
.
.

"I've heard it proclaimed Plato is in the top 10 philosophers of all time, and I agree, because disagreeing with him gave the other 9 a foundation to build their own worthwhile philosophy on".----Loki

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23rd May 2012, 04:49 PM
Seamus Seamus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: can't unzip a bunch of files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolty View Post
Rename without the '.083' and try that. But keep a back up if it doesn't work, ie copy to a new area and work on that.

There are two file extensions, it should have only one.

rename each one to xxxxxxxx.zip where 'x' is the original name.
OK,will do both and let you know,thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23rd May 2012, 07:11 PM
Darwinsbulldog's Avatar
Darwinsbulldog Darwinsbulldog is offline
Science Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Perth
Posts: 11,101
Default Re: can't unzip a bunch of files.

The .83 suggests to me that there are at least 83 files. But there should be a first one called: "something.rar" or "something.zip" or "something.exe" etc, which will decompress first and chain on unzipping the files in sequence.

What is the nature of the file? If it is a movie there is a proggie that can just decompress a part file to preview, but I have forgotten what it is called.
__________________
Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution--Theodosius Dobzhansky
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:28 PM
Rhys's Avatar
Rhys Rhys is offline
AFA Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,265
Default Re: can't unzip a bunch of files.

Off-topic and pointless but I first read this as "can't unzip a bunch of flies" which I thought was rather an odd problem to share...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24th May 2012, 12:16 AM
Darwinsbulldog's Avatar
Darwinsbulldog Darwinsbulldog is offline
Science Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Perth
Posts: 11,101
Default Re: can't unzip a bunch of files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
Off-topic and pointless but I first read this as "can't unzip a bunch of flies" which I thought was rather an odd problem to share...
I can understand how upzipping a bunch of flies could make someone pant!
I wonder if we can get a ruling on this from StriaghtEdge?
__________________
Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution--Theodosius Dobzhansky
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24th May 2012, 01:50 AM
Sir Patrick Crocodile Sir Patrick Crocodile is offline
-
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 12,377
Default Re: can't unzip a bunch of files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwinsbulldog View Post
The .83 suggests to me that there are at least 83 files. But there should be a first one called: "something.rar" or "something.zip" or "something.exe" etc, which will decompress first and chain on unzipping the files in sequence.

What is the nature of the file? If it is a movie there is a proggie that can just decompress a part file to preview, but I have forgotten what it is called.
I was thinking the ".083" could be the 83rd part in a multi-part archive. Often they're just split, and concatenating them using something like COPY A.ZIP.??? A.ZIP or some other similar style command.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24th May 2012, 01:52 AM
Sir Patrick Crocodile Sir Patrick Crocodile is offline
-
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 12,377
Default Re: can't unzip a bunch of files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
Off-topic and pointless but I first read this as "can't unzip a bunch of flies" which I thought was rather an odd problem to share...
I was wondering, when I read your post, how it was possible to unzip flies, as they are very small and move a lot and don't even have zips, but then I had an epiphany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwinsbulldog View Post
I can understand how upzipping a bunch of flies could make someone pant!
I wonder if we can get a ruling on this from StriaghtEdge?
Gut a spere ixpension slut Bru?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24th May 2012, 09:35 AM
Seamus Seamus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: can't unzip a bunch of files.

Fixed,thanks for the suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24th May 2012, 11:06 AM
Seamus Seamus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: can't unzip a bunch of files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Fixed,thanks for the suggestions.

Addendum:

It's a game, 'Diablo 3' .The set up doesn't like Win 7. I found a work around,but it's really complicated, with about eleventy three steps,and you have to stuff around with misconfig. I think I might leave it for a bit.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 04:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.