Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > Off Topic

Off Topic For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 21st April 2012, 05:57 PM
I_FH's Avatar
I_FH I_FH is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry

Whoops, how embarrassing lol. I usually have a few diferent tabs up for diferent forums and thought I was responding to Atheist Ireland. My bad
Why do you feel the need to argue your point across the globe?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 21st April 2012, 06:45 PM
Coryate's Avatar
Coryate Coryate is offline
AFA Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Roaming around Australia
Posts: 269
Default Re: If a Christian is offended...

The Australian Stats on gun deaths

In 1991 the firearm related death rate was 3.6 per 100 000 persons,
6.6 per 100 000 males and 0.7 per 100 000 females.
In 2001 the firearm related death rate decreased to 1.7 per 100 000 persons, 3.1 per 100 000 males and 0.4 per 100 000 females.


http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/australia
In Australia, the annual rate of firearm homicide per 100,000 population is

2008: 0.0923
2007: 0.12
2006: 0.14
2005: 0.19
2004: 0.1717
2003: 0.2718
2002: 0.23
2001: 0.24
2000: 0.30
1999: 0.26
1998: 0.30
1997: 0.43
1996: 0.57
1995: 0.37
1994: 0.43
1993: 0.36
1992: 0.55
1991: 0.49
1990: 0.46
1989: 0.48
1988: 0.74


Australia, the annual rate of firearm suicide per 100,000 population is

2008: 0.7929
2007: 0.79
2006: 0.69
2005: 0.72
2004: 0.84
2003: 0.9718
2002: 1.10
2001: 1.34
2000: 1.16
1999: 1.42
1998: 1.26
1997: 1.78
1996: 2.09
1995: 2.15
1994: 2.35
1993: 2.44
1992: 2.79
1991: 2.92
1990: 2.85
1989: 2.68
1988: 3.15

Angels of our better Australian Nature ?
__________________
Prayer: A petition that the laws of nature be suspended in favor of the petitioner; himself confessedly unworthy.

Last edited by Coryate; 21st April 2012 at 06:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 21st April 2012, 07:30 PM
Jerry's Avatar
Jerry Jerry is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 56
Default Re: If a Christian is offended...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_FH View Post
Why do you feel the need to argue your point across the globe?
I guess I'm just opinionated.

I'd like to propose a toast: To endless conversations
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 21st April 2012, 07:59 PM
I_FH's Avatar
I_FH I_FH is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 259
Default

An opinionated Yank you say? I guess there's a first time for everything...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 21st April 2012, 08:41 PM
Loki's Avatar
Loki Loki is online now
I've calculated your chance of survival, but I don't think you'll like it.
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Up the creek
Posts: 8,757
Default Re: If a Christian is offended...

The gun lobby would (and have done) point out that the data presented by Coryate shows that firearm related death was falling long before Port Arthur (1996) and the gun buy-back.
__________________
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."Philip K. Dick

Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 21st April 2012, 08:56 PM
Jerry's Avatar
Jerry Jerry is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 56
Default Re: If a Christian is offended...

A good read on the Port Arthur shooting:

http://www.publicpolicy.umd.edu/file...%20chapter.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 21st April 2012, 09:10 PM
Coryate's Avatar
Coryate Coryate is offline
AFA Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Roaming around Australia
Posts: 269
Default Re: If a Christian is offended...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
The gun lobby would (and have done) point out that the data presented by Coryate shows that firearm related death was falling long before Port Arthur (1996) and the gun buy-back.
Quite true, but the drop was mostly due to gun owners having to go to a gun club to do safety training, so less people where shooting themselves accidentally.
__________________
Prayer: A petition that the laws of nature be suspended in favor of the petitioner; himself confessedly unworthy.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 21st April 2012, 10:19 PM
Sir Patrick Crocodile Sir Patrick Crocodile is offline
-
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 12,377
Default Re: If a Christian is offended...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
From your link:
Teen Birth Rate per 1,000 Population, Ages 15-19, 2009:

US National: 31.9
Alabama: 50.7
District of Columbia: 47.7

Since your quote was based on per 100,000 while my quote was based on per 1,000, multiply the figures I provided by 100.

Yes, teen pregnancy is a much bigger concern then our gun laws.

Besides, your figures don't control for intentional murder with a firearm or deaths resulting from a negligent discharge as opposed to legal self-defense against a criminal by a civilian or a lawful "good shooting" by police officers in the performance of their duty.

Thanks for the link, though, I've added it to my collection.

*****
Apparently we Christians, at least in America, are more likely to impregnate your daughters then we are to kill you, even with our personal firearms.
Whilst I can agree that over here, this idea of a "genuine reason" is complete and utter rubbish, given its ambiguity, I must say that negligent discharges should also be considered while looking at gun death stats. Because negligent discharges = people who have no idea what the fuck they are doing.

I certainly wouldn't like completely relaxed gun laws, which permit a random joe to just pick one up without any training whatsoever, which appears to be the situation over there. Would I be correct?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 21st April 2012, 10:25 PM
Jerry's Avatar
Jerry Jerry is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 56
Default Re: If a Christian is offended...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
Whilst I can agree that over here, this idea of a "genuine reason" is complete and utter rubbish, given its ambiguity, I must say that negligent discharges should also be considered while looking at gun death stats. Because negligent discharges = people who have no idea what the fuck they are doing.

I certainly wouldn't like completely relaxed gun laws, which permit a random joe to just pick one up without any training whatsoever, which appears to be the situation over there. Would I be correct?
That's the direction a hand full of states are heading, yes; not even requiring a permit to buy and carry loaded, open or concealed.

I believe the mutual ground will be requiring training before a perches. Instead of permission by the state to carry, one will have to provide a wallet sized card certifying their completion of a state sanctioned safety coarse. I would fully support this requirement.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 21st April 2012, 10:25 PM
Logic please's Avatar
Logic please Logic please is offline
Don't believe everything you read.. that's called "gullibility".
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Melb (capital of The Nanny State!!!)
Posts: 12,448
Default Re: If a Christian is offended...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
I certainly wouldn't like completely relaxed gun laws, which permit a random joe to just pick one up without any training whatsoever, which appears to be the situation over there. Would I be correct?
@Croc: no doubt Jerry will have more specific info, but I expect that these laws vary from state to state, am I correct?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by erink View Post
Following the bible is like having a sadomasochistic relationship. With no option of a safe word....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 09:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.