Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Global Atheist Convention Forum

Global Atheist Convention Forum All discussions regarding the AFA's Global Atheist Conventions

Old 17th April 2012, 06:38 PM

Default What are you reading AFTER the GAC?

Feel free to merge this with the before thread if you would prefer it.

So what is everyone excited about reading after the convention? I know some of you spent an absolute fortune at that bookstore, wish I had bought shares in them before .

Anything anyone is particularly excited about reading? I'm definitely going to be adding A.C Grayling, Peter Singer and Leslie Cannold to my list now.
Old 17th April 2012, 06:50 PM

Default Re: What are you reading AFTER the GAC?

I picked up Leslie Cannold "The Book of Rachael" at the Melbourne plane station on the way home - so far I'm really enjoying it
Old 17th April 2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Local library informed me my purchase-request was in, by email this morning.

This - Freedom of Religion and the Secular State - Russell Blackford
I had a quick chat with Russell Blackford at the GAC about Sam Harris book on free will. He was a very nice chap.

I am going to probably read "A Universe from Nothing" when I have time.
'Those who invalidate reason ought seriously to consider whether they argue against reason with or without reason: if with reason, then they establish the principle that they are labouring to dethrone: but if they argue without reason (which, in order to be consistent with themselves they must do), they are out of reach of rational conviction, nor do they deserve rational argument'-Ethan Allen

Last edited by IVPITER; 17th April 2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 17th April 2012, 07:10 PM
AFA Member

Well I'm currently reading The Magic of Reality to my 5 year old.

I will be starting A Universe from Nothing when I have time and then going on to The Moral Landscape. I have read Sam's Free Will book before and my overall thought was that as Laurence Krauss said about Nothing I think it is more about redefining what free will is rather than saying it is an illusion (I hope that does not count as a spoiler). I'll say no more on the subject but am happy to discuss my thoughts/reasoning in a specific thread if anyone cares what I think.
Old 17th April 2012, 07:11 PM

Currently reading "the Quotable Hitchens" after the GAC.. The first of many books I have the pleasure of having to read.
"If one must have faith in order to believe something, or believe in something, then the likelihood of that something having any truth or value is considerably diminished." - Hitchens, God Is Not Great 2007
Old 17th April 2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
EvilDRMike said View Post
Well I'm currently reading The Magic of Reality to my 5 year old.

I will be starting A Universe from Nothing when I have time and then going on to The Moral Landscape. I have read Sam's Free Will book before and my overall thought was that as Laurence Krauss said about Nothing I think it is more about redefining what free will is rather than saying it is an illusion (I hope that does not count as a spoiler). I'll say no more on the subject but am happy to discuss my thoughts/reasoning in a specific thread if anyone cares what I think.
Hmmm. I read an article of Harris's today, on his blog about his disagreement with Dennett on the issue of free will & *exactly* this thought occurred to me! I also meant to post a link to it in the thread where someone questioned the point of his meditation exercise at the GAC because it's pertinent (re: perception shift & how our perception impacts our interpretation of what free will is.). Very exciting! Just like Krauss!
Old 17th April 2012, 08:34 PM

I have a quite a few books to get through, since I went on a little book buying spree at the GAC. Unfortunately i have to weight till the uni commitments have eased of which will most likely mean that it will be after the exam period
Old 18th April 2012, 10:27 AM
Sorry Thor, Tesla closed your gap

This should be in the reading thread but it is GAC related.
Dennett/LaScola's paper on pastors who have lost religion that gave rise to the Clergy Project.
Slinky to pdf
I'm reading Dan's "Darwin's Dangerous Idea"
Old 18th April 2012, 11:19 AM

I already have way too many books to read atm, so I'll be using this page to source new books.

I am keen to read The Moral Landscape, as I've been unable to go near any books as of late.
Old 18th April 2012, 11:30 AM
Here come the drums, here come the drums!

Last night I started Lawrence Krauss's biog of Richard Feynman "Quantum Man", which Loki most unexpectedly and very kindly bought me as a gift at the GAC because I had been saying the night before how I wanted to know more about Feynman.

I have made a pact with myself to ditch the fiction for a while and immerse myself in Real Stuff and I'm looking forward to it.

I should have bought The Moral Landscape but I'll go to Embiggen Books and get it there.

I'm also rather keen to get hold of a transcript of Leslie Cannold's GAC talk which I found fantastic and I want to have the references she made to why s.116 of our Constitution really means nothing and that Australia doesn't really have a separation of church and state at all.