Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Global Atheist Convention Forum

Global Atheist Convention Forum All discussions regarding the AFA's Global Atheist Conventions

Old 17th April 2012, 11:17 AM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Default Re: Jim Jefferies cross the line?

Quote:
Logic said View Post
What bothered me was the guy sitting in front of us who clapped waaaay too enthusiastically at the lack of respect for women joke. The danger of those types of jokes is that some nutters apparently take them seriously.

i sent this from my iPad
This!!!!!

The people that get the joke don't need it. The people that should get it, don't. And this is where the problem of enabling comes in.

But what would I know? I am apparently sexist.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 17th April 2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Logic said View Post
What bothered me was the guy sitting in front of us who clapped waaaay too enthusiastically at the lack of respect for women joke. The danger of those types of jokes is that some nutters apparently take them seriously.

i sent this from my iPad
Haha, I forgot about them, the powerband bracelet crew.
Old 17th April 2012, 11:32 AM
User in Limbo

Quote:
Logic said View Post

i sent this from my iPad
That might have been me. I forgot, we are not allowed to laugh at satire.

Do you think he might be having a dig at religion perhaps???
Old 17th April 2012, 11:37 AM
Up there for thinking...

Quote:
AndyP said View Post
That might have been me. I forgot, we are not allowed to laugh at satire.

Do you think he might be having a dig at religion perhaps???
You had to be there... This guy clearly did not have women at the top of his like list!

i sent this from my iPad
“The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more.” -Christopher Hitchens
Old 17th April 2012, 11:55 AM
You can't be serious!!?

I might as well chuck in my 2c worth:

Yup, the content of that joke was horrible. Funny? Well, that is for the person listening to decide. Does the teller agree with the content? Dunno, will have to ask him. The only thing we can really discuss here is 'What is appropriate?. I personally, don't see any actual humour in that kind of humour. As Owheelj said, the 'value' is in the shock it creates. So, by that logic, it is not appropriate to me for a comedy night as I don't find it funny. However, I am loathe to say whether it is appropriate for one and all. As rightly pointed out by Logic, there are a lot of nutters that will use a joke like that to validate their actions and beliefs. However, saying that something is inappropriate on the basis of the possible actions of some nutjobs (and there are plenty) does not sit well with me regardless of how vile I find the joke. As I already said, I think that the best way of dealing with this at a comedy night is to unite in silence.
I guess in a way, I am relating this kind of thing to law making. Is it right to make a decision and apply it to all to prevent the actions of the nutjob few?
Old 17th April 2012, 12:57 PM
User in Limbo

Quote:
Logic said View Post
You had to be there... This guy clearly did not have women at the top of his like list!

i sent this from my iPad
I was there. He is a comedian, he is taking the piss.
Old 17th April 2012, 01:00 PM
Up there for thinking...

Quote:
AndyP said View Post
I was there. He is a comedian, he is taking the piss.
I'm not talking about the comedian Andy. I'm talking about the guy who clapped overly enthusiastically.

i sent this from my iPad
“The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more.” -Christopher Hitchens
Old 17th April 2012, 04:56 PM
User in Limbo

Quote:
Logic said View Post
I'm not talking about the comedian Andy. I'm talking about the guy who clapped overly enthusiastically.
Well it was pretty funny, unless you took it a little to seriously.
Old 17th April 2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
AndyP said View Post
Well it was pretty funny, unless you took it a little to seriously.
Yes, I'm pretty sure this was Logic's point. The guy sitting on front of us WAS taking it a little to seriously, as evidenced by his overly enthusiastic clapping, not laughing, every time a misogynistic comment was made. Having been there I can vouch that if this audience member was just playing along as part of the joke, he was doing a very convincing job of showing otherwise.
Old 17th April 2012, 05:34 PM

I think that's a common problem with that kind of comedy. I often notice that racists watch shows that parody racists, like South Park and Family Guy, and then repeat the things being said without realising that the jokes were about people like them, not particular races. Although obviously that's just a case of people who are already bigoted having their views confirmed, so I don't think harm is done.

I just quickly also wanted to mention that for the Freethought Student Alliance we sent out "orientation packs" for O-Weeks at universities that included "placebo bracelets" which look just like power bracelets, including the hologram, but are not. I didn't notice anybody wearing them, or power bracelets, but I wonder whether the "power bracelet" crew were wearing our (or somebody else's) placebo bracelet?