Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Global Atheist Convention Forum

Global Atheist Convention Forum All discussions regarding the AFA's Global Atheist Conventions

Old 18th April 2012, 12:05 PM
Freestyle all the way baby!

Default Re: Stupid or funny things you said to speakers or each other.

Quote:
BlueDevil said View Post
Gee Dancer...imagine that, a photo with you in it. What a rarity!

(For those who didn't attend it was noted by some that Dancer seemed to pop up out of nowhere everytime a finger went anywhere near a camera shutter button. I think 90% of my photos have Dancer in them!)
Really??? Coz I haven't seen one photo of me yet

BTW - Hi BlueDevil!!! Loved meeting ya
Old 18th April 2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Dancer said View Post

BTW - Hi BlueDevil!!! Loved meeting ya
Maybe it wasn't so much your doing as BD's, Dancer?! Eh eh!
Old 18th April 2012, 12:22 PM
Up there for thinking...

Quote:
coffee said View Post
I have finally -- by the road of many embarrassing moments -- reached the point where I've taken this to heart:

"Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

I am now utterly boring and no fun at all; explains why I spent most of GAC on my own.

I just don't seem to be able to get the balance right.
Aw coffee. Should have introduced yourself. What's one more fool amongst all us fools?

i sent this from my iPad
“The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more.” -Christopher Hitchens
Old 18th April 2012, 12:37 PM
It's getting hot in here .....
Administrator

Quote:
Dancer said View Post

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/djarm67
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/djarm67
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/djarm67
Old 18th April 2012, 12:40 PM
Ehh?

Quote:
Logic said View Post
Aw coffee. Should have introduced yourself. What's one more fool amongst all us fools?

i sent this from my iPad
You should meet me
Old 18th April 2012, 12:45 PM
Ehh?

I went across the way looking for people and ended up in a bar. I ducked into the nearby toilets. As I'm taking a leak (sorry), I hear a quietly spoken voice say "so how are you liking it?". Trying not to break male toilet & urinal protocol I quickly glanced over to see A.C. Grayling a few meters away looking at me. Awkwardly, I expressed my pleasure being at the convention. I had a camera around my neck and thought there were better times and places to ask ha ha.

This is not the first time I have had an awkward toilet encounter with a celebrity either!
Old 18th April 2012, 12:48 PM

Ah ... Logic ... how kind. But how to FIND people in that throng? If there's a 2014 event and I'm still amongst the living I might be more outgoing next time.

I wonder if there's any value in having a thread that links people who live within commuting distance of GAC who have a room to spare during the conference with people from out of town (I flew in from the Northern Rivers, NSW) who would appreciate staying in a welcoming home rather than an impersonal hotel.

Although having said that I did enjoy the total luxury of a queen-sized bed to myself (ALL MINE and only me snoring!!!) and a very quiet studio room with excellent facilities right in the heart of the city (Flinders Lane).

I think GAC would have been improved enormously for me by being able to link up with a small group of people before the event. Eye-catching group T-shirts?
Old 18th April 2012, 12:49 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
djarm67 said View Post
Tjarm and I came up to Dan Barker and asked if we could get a photo. He said "Yes, of course."

I handed him the camera, nestled up against my wife and told him "just press the silver button"

He just stood there confused.

GOLD!
Old 18th April 2012, 12:53 PM
AFA Member

It’s concerning that my smiling face is included in a thread entitled “Stupid or funny things”.

Anyway, for me this was the strangest thing to happen at the GAC: I went to the rest room while at the Gala Dinner and while standing at the urinal someone says “Hey! Aren’t you ‘askegg’?” I replied in kind and was he started a conversation, which abruptly ended when I quipped “This is weird” to myself. After a brief apology he scampered off and I felt guilty. Dude, if you’re reading this, no offence was taken.

Last edited by askegg; 18th April 2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 18th April 2012, 12:57 PM
AFA Member

I didn't talk to any of the speakers, except PZ on the Gingko's Melb Museum fossil tour and at lunch. I got a buzz out of chatting with David Nichols and the GAC committee members I bumped into, but again regretted being able to find Lee in the crowd at dinner.
I did ask a question of Eugenie Scott at her talk, but didn't ask it properly. I enjoyed meeting ordinary folks at the dinner that I have only known online, but I am very post-autograph and post-celeb-meeting- I didn't see the point of it, though obviously a lot of folks got enjoyment from it and that is fine for them.