Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Global Atheist Convention Forum

Global Atheist Convention Forum All discussions regarding the AFA's Global Atheist Conventions

Old 16th April 2012, 07:31 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Default Stupid or funny things you said to speakers or each other.

Starting off, I will offer this pearl of honesty made by a member of the forum, witnessed by myself and one other. No names, you know who you are. So do many others.

Said female forum member who was three sheets to the wind after the dinner, spied AC Grayling at the Hilton, ran at him, wrapped her arms around him and said "I find intelligent men very sexy".

Me meeting Dan Barker. "I've read your book".

I also have the embarrassing moment of being drunk and finding my grammar completely gone so as to say something I have apologised for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 16th April 2012, 07:44 PM
Nasty

Okay, I have two. One is a story of me, the other is a story of TJarm who will remain unnamed.

First. Me.
Annie- "Oh Haiy PZ", enthusiastically puts hand out for a shake), "My name is Annie and I'm your Facebook friend."
PZ with bewildered look while putting hand out for a shake, "Oh really? Have you met my wife?"
Me. "No".
PZ introduces us quickly and walks away.

TJarm begins talking to Sam Harris telling him how she read his book and how it had a huge impact on her life and helped her understand important issues enormously. He was very interested.
Sam asked "which one".
Reply - "The faith one".

Tapa GACing
Old 16th April 2012, 08:02 PM
Minister for Religious Genocide
Super Moderator

Location: Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble
Default Re: Stupid or funny things you said to speakers or each other.

Not stupid or funny, but a shout out to the GAC Committee who oraganised the event.

I was in the green room with Annie Laurie Gaylor (an awesome lady). There were a few of us chatting away, and she said that not only was the food, the venue and the organisation better than TAM or TED, but she also reckons that the GAC committee could pull together a better show than the Reason Rally and get George Clooney and Brad Pitt to come.

As for silly, I was talking football to AC Grayling. Why - I have no idea. We were also discussing the continous renaming of (the currently known as)Etihad Stadium.
Old 16th April 2012, 08:19 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Lord Blackadder said View Post
Not stupid or funny, but a shout out to the GAC Committee who oraganised the event.

I was in the green room with Annie Laurie Gaylor (an awesome lady). There were a few of us chatting away, and she said that not only was the food, the venue and the organisation better than TAM or TED, but she also reckons that the GAC committee could pull together a better show than the Reason Rally and get George Clooney and Brad Pitt to come.

As for silly, I was talking football to AC Grayling. Why - I have no idea. We were also discussing the continous renaming of (the currently known as)Etihad Stadium.
I'm trying to imagine Dawkins' face if he's told he's on the same bill as Clooney. ..
Old 16th April 2012, 08:29 PM

I was just thinking today about who they could get that would make the next event bigger than this one, and celebrities was about all I could think of.

My favourite moment like this, which wasn't something I said, or said by somebody I know, but the question Dawkins got; "Why haven't humans evolved brains that are bigger than the universe?" and his answer; "Well evolution is all about survival, so you have to think about the size of the birth canal."
Old 17th April 2012, 01:36 PM
It's getting hot in here .....
Administrator

Tjarm and I came up to Dan Barker and asked if we could get a photo. He said "Yes, of course."

I handed him the camera, nestled up against my wife and told him "just press the silver button"

He just stood there confused.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/djarm67
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/djarm67
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/djarm67
Old 17th April 2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
djarm67 said View Post
Tjarm and I came up to Dan Barker and asked if we could get a photo. He said "Yes, of course."

I handed him the camera, nestled up against my wife and told him "just press the silver button"

That is gold!!! You have to tell us what came next!
Old 17th April 2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
djarm67 said View Post

That is awesome! Funny hearing people talk about celebrities, Ms. Dilby and I were at the Crown on Sunday night and all the fuss was on about the Logies and "One Direction" (apparently a band I haven't yet had the pleasure of hearing) . She and I discussed that we had seen the "real" celebrities who people should be getting excited about.

@ Wolty, whoever that lady was, I can relate, I am not afraid to confess that I think A.C. Grayling was super sexy, with that hair, brain and voice, what a trifecta!
Old 17th April 2012, 05:43 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Quote:
dilbadoon said View Post

@ Wolty, whoever that lady was, I can relate, I am not afraid to confess that I think A.C. Grayling was super sexy, with that hair, brain and voice, what a trifecta!
Oh, the Brissy lady who isn't Annie or Logic? She had it bad.

Sent telepathically.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 17th April 2012, 05:44 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
wolty said View Post
Oh, the Brissy lady who isn't Annie or Logic? She had it bad.

Sent telepathically.
AC started it!

(now can you guess who it was!)