Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Global Atheist Convention Forum

Global Atheist Convention Forum All discussions regarding the AFA's Global Atheist Conventions

Old 16th April 2012, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Congratulations to all GAC organisers

I echo the above sentiments, had the time of my life
Old 16th April 2012, 01:11 AM

I would like to join in the chorus of thanks. However:

Quote:
BlueDevil said View Post
It is hard to imagine that this event could be improved on - it has certainly raised the bar for any future events.
What can be done to improve this event? In the future, perhaps questions for the speakers could be vetted. If you want to ask a question, submit it in written form to the volunteers holding the microphones. They can then decide whether to pass it on or not. They can be given a simple guideline: reject all "soapbox" type questions, or questions which show lack of respect for the speaker, or questions that would waste everybody's time. This would eliminate the dumb question asked of Dawkins at this GAC ("why don't we evolve brain size of uuuuuunivarse?") and at the last GAC (when a creationist challenged Dawkins to prove evolution).
Old 16th April 2012, 02:34 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Keith_W said View Post
I would like to join in the chorus of thanks. However:

What can be done to improve this event? In the future, perhaps questions for the speakers could be vetted. If you want to ask a question, submit it in written form to the volunteers holding the microphones. They can then decide whether to pass it on or not. They can be given a simple guideline: reject all "soapbox" type questions, or questions which show lack of respect for the speaker, or questions that would waste everybody's time. This would eliminate the dumb question asked of Dawkins at this GAC ("why don't we evolve brain size of uuuuuunivarse?") and at the last GAC (when a creationist challenged Dawkins to prove evolution).
They did try vetting, verbally. People can panic, get overwhelmed or just plain lie about what they'll say. There's no perfect system that way.

Lawrence was as clear as he could be: 'upward inflection' and I tried to be as firm as I could, but clearly people have minds (and agendas) of their own.

If it was a smaller conference, I'd suggest qu via Twitter, which I have seen done.
Old 16th April 2012, 02:36 AM
AFA Member

What everyone has said, +4000!
Old 16th April 2012, 03:41 AM

OMG OMG OMG OMG -------> lol

According to some people i became the biggest fan boy there though i know for a FACT that there where others there worse then me. Well statistically speaking there would have to be >_<

I just missed out on the 2010 GAC mainly because i didn't hear about it till after the tickets had sold out, and if i had gone back then?!?!?!? ... well lets just say that i had calmed down quite a bit.

It was AMAZING shall i say it again?

AMAZING the organisers out did themselves and then some. I was running on 4 hours sleep each night because the energy of interacting with fellow freethinkers and debating the last set of talks was coursing through my vain's.

There where some great points brought up and not to mention the side entertainment of the token fundies of all flavours that appeared (Not the psycho ones that had murder as an intent on there minds) along with there cliché arguments and our fellow free thinkers coming out with the standard polished arguments against them but with slightly new angles of delivery.

I look forward to the next GAC and any of the other gatherings to come

signed
Martin J Madej
NOT
Martin s Pribble
Old 16th April 2012, 07:13 AM

Yep +1 to all the votes of thanks to the GAC committee and the convention center. It was a fantastic weekend.
“I contend that we are both Atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours” – Stephen Roberts
Old 16th April 2012, 08:21 AM

I would also like to say thank you to the organisers..... WOW what a fantastic weekend.
Thank you so much.
Old 16th April 2012, 01:09 PM
Minister for Religious Genocide
Super Moderator

Location: Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Quote:
Martin_Madej said View Post
OMG OMG OMG OMG -------> lol

According to some people i became the biggest fan boy there though i know for a FACT that there where others there worse then me. Well statistically speaking there would have to be >_<

I just missed out on the 2010 GAC mainly because i didn't hear about it till after the tickets had sold out, and if i had gone back then?!?!?!? ... well lets just say that i had calmed down quite a bit.

It was AMAZING shall i say it again?

AMAZING the organisers out did themselves and then some. I was running on 4 hours sleep each night because the energy of interacting with fellow freethinkers and debating the last set of talks was coursing through my vain's.

There where some great points brought up and not to mention the side entertainment of the token fundies of all flavours that appeared (Not the psycho ones that had murder as an intent on there minds) along with there cliché arguments and our fellow free thinkers coming out with the standard polished arguments against them but with slightly new angles of delivery.

I look forward to the next GAC and any of the other gatherings to come

signed
Martin J Madej
NOT
Martin s Pribble
Martin!? Shit, you missed your hug off with PZ. Myers and we were -

Oh, sorry, wrong Martin.

Nice meeting you at the dinner, Fanboi Martin, and glad you enjoyed the weekend.
Old 16th April 2012, 01:37 PM
Like a supermod without the lycra

Monumental effort!!!! I have never been to any convent, professional or otherwise, that was efficiently and effectively run. Kudos and heatfelt thanks to everyone involved
Old 16th April 2012, 01:40 PM
Here come the drums, here come the drums!

Thanks doesn't seem adequate really. Neither does congratulations.

But that's sort of all I've got so thanks and congratulations to absolutely everyone involved. Organisation on a massive scale, running so well, so smoothly - unbelievably impressive.

A seriously impressive three days. I'm sure my IQ has gone up a bit (and would have been more but I killed many brain cells with alcohol... ).

I'm still a bit overwhelmed actually.

Thanks again. I had an amazingly awesome time