Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Global Atheist Convention Forum

Global Atheist Convention Forum All discussions regarding the AFA's Global Atheist Conventions

Old 15th April 2012, 12:00 AM
User in Limbo

Default Ok, where is the bible in the Hilton??

These guys are fucking with me.

At the dinner tonight, we got some stickers from Catherine Deveny designed to be attached to a bible. I have never been to a hotel that did not have a bible, so either they outsmarted me, or I am too drunk and stupid to find the bible.

Probably the latter. So where is it?
Old 15th April 2012, 12:51 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: Ok, where is the bible in the Hilton??

Quote:
AndyP said View Post
These guys are fucking with me.

At the dinner tonight, we got some stickers from Catherine Deveny designed to be attached to a bible. I have never been to a hotel that did not have a bible, so either they outsmarted me, or I am too drunk and stupid to find the bible.

Probably the latter. So where is it?
Umm, you did check behind the airconditioner grill just in case a certain other poster on these forums beat you to it?
Old 15th April 2012, 08:16 AM
User in Limbo

Ok, so someone has either hidden it prior to my arrival, or they got smart and removed it.

I did make my booking through the GAC website, perhaps that was a tipoff to the hotel to remove it before hand. A little disappointing, was planning on putting the warning stickers onto the 'good book' and posting up a few pics.

I do like the 'hide the bible' game. Something for me to do in the future when travelling.
Old 15th April 2012, 08:33 AM
Sorry Thor, Tesla closed your gap

Our table dipped out on the stickers but the Pensione is babble less anyway. Well apart from the impromptu roof top meetings and they are more dribble than babble
Old 15th April 2012, 03:26 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

There was a bible in my room at the last GAC. I wrote a lot of marginal notes in it.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 15th April 2012, 07:11 PM

I managed to collect a few bibles on my road trip through lovely Vic. Did not stay at the hilton though. A great week exploring the state culminating in GAC 2012!
Old 16th April 2012, 11:13 AM
AFA Member

No bible at the Holiday Inn either. Disappointed as I was looking forward to playing hide the bible
Old 17th April 2012, 03:15 PM

I noticed there was no Bible in the Crown Promenade hotel either.
I booked through a travel agent, so the hotel would not have known I am an atheist. Nor would I actually expected them to remove any religious book, from my room anyway.
Personally it's not a huge deal to me.
"If one must have faith in order to believe something, or believe in something, then the likelihood of that something having any truth or value is considerably diminished." - Hitchens, God Is Not Great 2007
Old 17th April 2012, 03:59 PM
AFA Member

The Vibe hotel had bibbles and unfortunately I got to mine before the bright fluoro yellow stickers from Catherine Deveny were available, so writing large around the outside edges "I do not appreciate racist, sexist, homophobic literature in my room" had to suffice.

The inside had a nod to Max Wallace and $37 billion dollars annually for religious tax exemption. Hopefully it will annoy someone contemplating the cost of the mini bar.

It's heartening to hear of the absence of gideons from other forumites even if it does spoil the fun
Old 18th April 2012, 06:41 PM
AFA Member

Those stickers would have come in handy a few weeks ago. Stayed in a motel in Wagin WA. Not one but two bibles in the room. His and hers