Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Global Atheist Convention Forum

Global Atheist Convention Forum All discussions regarding the AFA's Global Atheist Conventions

Old 16th April 2012, 12:28 PM

Default Re: GAC 2012 in the media

And a round up of the weekend from the man in the rather loud jacket...

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/blogs/...416-1x2lw.html
“I contend that we are both Atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours” – Stephen Roberts
Old 16th April 2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
TimB said View Post
There is this from the SMH this morning by Chris Berg

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/societ...414-1wzyg.html

I think the author completely gets things arse about. For example...

"
Yet virtually all the secular ideas that non-believers value have Christian origins. To pretend otherwise is to toss the substance of those ideas away. It was theologians and religiously minded philosophers who developed the concepts of individual and human rights. Same with progress, reason, and equality before the law: it is fantasy to suggest these values emerged out of thin air once people started questioning God.
"
No shit, no non-believer is saying that some religiously minded philosophers etc didn't contribute to developing concepts of individual and human rights, a lot of these people did this in opposition to position of their respective churches. The point is that it wasn't the main stream churches coming up with these ideas, it was liberally minded people of both religious and non-religious dispositions who developed and campaigned for these ideas.

And guess what, the idea of secularism started not because the big dominant christian churches necessarily wanted a nice tolerant multi faith society, the concept was developed to protect the rights of people to follow whatever version of their religion they wanted without the fear of being persecuted by, yep you guessed it, the dominant "christian" churches.

Yes of course christians played a role in developing secular ideas, but you can't lay the credit for all this at the feet of "Christianity" - that would be fantasy.

I think Chris Berg needs to read AC Grayling's book "Towards the Light: The Story of the Struggles for Liberty and Rights That Made the Modern West". It's a good read.
Challenge that guy to show some values that are only christian, and not present in nonchristian societies (otherwise known as the other 90% of the world that he doesn't care about). Then introduce equal rights for women, equal rights for gay/lesbian, pro-choice abortion and ask him what his bible tells him about those. Any leftover can easily be shown to have stolen their ideas from Romans +Greek (Mithras is great for this, as well as the December Solstice celebration)
Old 16th April 2012, 01:35 PM

Here are a few better articles from The Age;

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/blo...416-1x2lw.html - Dick Gross may have been shit on politics, but I thought this was a fair article.

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/edi...414-1x0ef.html
- Editorial from The Age about the broader benefits of having a GAC.
Old 16th April 2012, 02:22 PM

A slightly strange take, mostly focussing on Ayaan Hirsi Ali:

http://www.crikey.com.au/?p=285316
Old 16th April 2012, 02:36 PM
Up there for thinking...

Quote:
owheelj said View Post
Here are a few better articles from The Age;

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/blo...416-1x2lw.html - Dick Gross may have been shit on politics, but I thought this was a fair article..
Just had a read of this one,I feel a tad bad for dick gross that no one wanted his signature for their copy of his book.

i sent this from my iPad
“The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more.” -Christopher Hitchens
Old 16th April 2012, 02:43 PM
Here come the drums, here come the drums!

Well I certainly feel much more welcome in my birth city now I know that some are happy to have the godless amongst them.

GACing & Tapping
Old 18th April 2012, 01:00 AM
AFA Member

Out of interest, do the media get invited to send delegates to attend and report on the event?
Old 18th April 2012, 07:29 AM
Explorer of Inner Space

Well done Andrew, a good interview.

Old 20th April 2012, 02:24 PM
Explorer of Inner Space

Here is one that skipped by me. Has possibly been posted elswhere?

Old 20th April 2012, 07:25 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
BlueDevil said View Post
Here is one that skipped by me. Has possibly been posted elsewhere?
Interesting comment from the guy at the end, basically a lapsed catholic who considers he's probably an agnostic. I think it's these type of people who the "hardcore" atheist society should be targeting as much, if not more, than religious people.

If we can convince these 'agnostics' to come to the "dark side of atheism" we might have a better chance of diminishing the impact of religion in general.

But this is a whole other topic for discussion...

my 2c