Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Global Atheist Convention Forum

Global Atheist Convention Forum All discussions regarding the AFA's Global Atheist Conventions

Old 16th April 2012, 06:06 PM
Here come the drums, here come the drums!

I have to agree. Heckling is fine at a comedy gig but not something like that, especially given the gravitas of the moment - having those people on stage together for the first time, 4000 people feeling the loss of Hitch so keenly...Dan Dennett's book title "Breaking the Spell" springs to mind and not in a good way.

I'm sure whoever it was thought they were being helpful/supportive but rather spectacularly failed to grasp the idea that the grouping was meant to represent a "fireside chat", replicating the style of the Four Horsemen DVD and we the audience were the privileged eavesdroppers.

GACing & Tapping
Old 16th April 2012, 06:08 PM
Raptured!

Default Re: GAC bits'n'pieces

Quote:
Lord Blackadder said View Post
True, but it was completely unesscessary. An historic occassion, especially considering the tribute to The Hitch beforehand, and then... that. Just not cricket.
Agreed. It pissed me off. He was nothing but a fucking loudmouth.

Much like the Liberal Party guy who used his "question" as an opportunity to advertise his statements. How do these people not realise how little we appreciate their interjections?
Old 16th April 2012, 07:01 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

I was standing next to liberal guy in the loos just after that session when he suggested to his mate that "I could have put that a lot better". I agree.

Edit: not agreeing with what I thought was a rather shallow opinion for which he provided no support, merely with the thought that he could have put it a lot better.

Last edited by Loki; 16th April 2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 16th April 2012, 07:54 PM
Explorer of Inner Space

Quote:
Protium said View Post
A

It's all on video, it was fucking annoying and I would love to know who it was so I can ensure they have restricted access to the next convention.
I doubt that anyone would have an objection to that bit being edited out if it can be done without destroying the continuity. Hopefully this video will become a classic to be enjoyed by generations to come and if deleting that segment enhances the overall quality then it should be done.

Old 16th April 2012, 08:18 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
BlueDevil said View Post
I doubt that anyone would have an objection to that bit being edited out if it can be done without destroying the continuity. Hopefully this video will become a classic to be enjoyed by generations to come and if deleting that segment enhances the overall quality then it should be done.
I hoped to suggest it as a teaching resource? Certainly they can be marketed as such.
Old 17th April 2012, 02:36 PM
Nasty

For those like me who blubbered their way through the Hitch Tribute at the convention, I found this on YouTube and although it's probably worthy of its own thread I thought I'd pop it here in case it isn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by Annie; 17th April 2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 17th April 2012, 02:49 PM

link
Top ten best selling books at atheist convention. Barker, Harris and Dawkins did well.

Quote:
We were honoured to be the official bookseller at the 2012 Atheist Convention over the weekend, where hundreds of people heard from the likes of Richard Dawson, Jane Caro and Lawrence Krauss. Here are the ten bestselling books from the convention. Richard Dawkins remains very popular and American author and intellectual Sam Harris sold a truckload of books as well.
  1. Free Will by Sam Harris
  2. A Universe From Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather Than Nothing by Lawrence Krauss
  3. The Magic Of Reality by Richard Dawkins and Dave McKean
  4. The Good Atheist: Living A Purpose-Filled Life Without God by Dan Barker
  5. The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
  6. Godless: How An Evangelical Preacher Became One Of America's Leading Atheists by Dan Barker
  7. The Moral Landscape by Sam Harris
  8. The Greatest Show On Earth: The Evidence For Evolution by Richard Dawkins
  9. The Justice Game by Geoffrey Robertson
  10. The Book Of Rachael by Leslie Cannold
'Those who invalidate reason ought seriously to consider whether they argue against reason with or without reason: if with reason, then they establish the principle that they are labouring to dethrone: but if they argue without reason (which, in order to be consistent with themselves they must do), they are out of reach of rational conviction, nor do they deserve rational argument'-Ethan Allen
Old 17th April 2012, 03:13 PM
Nasty

The Clergy Project which Dan Dennett referred to.

http://www.clergyproject.org/

Old 18th April 2012, 10:21 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Annie said View Post
For those like me who blubbered their way through the Hitch Tribute at the convention, I found this on YouTube and although it's probably worthy of its own thread I thought I'd pop it here in case it isn't.

Thanks, I was doing ok until "How long are you going to keep doing this", "Until I drop". At least this time I am not blubbing like a school girl in front of 4K people.
Old 18th April 2012, 12:22 PM

Never be embarrassed by empathy. I can not think about Hitch without getting a lump in my throat. It will be a regret all my life that I never got to see/hear him live. He was the intellect that most impressed those incredible intellects we listened to on the weekend! His early loss to public discourse is arguably one of the greatest of our generation. What would the wise years of his old age have produced?

Now I've made myself cry again!