Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Old 23rd March 2012, 01:00 AM
herping and derping
Administrator

Dinosaurs couldn't fit on the ark?

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?
Old 23rd March 2012, 07:00 AM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

Default Re: What question is answered by religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanV View Post
2. Jesus Christ was who he said he was, and the resurrection actually happened.
3. What we have now as the New Testament is historically reliable, and we can know what the original documents said.
4. What the authors wrote is actually true.

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
Old 24th March 2012, 07:02 AM
Extant

I have received a PM from a long-standing forum member referring to my comment here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Did you know that Star Wars is inerrant?
and pointing out that in one of the inerrant movies Han Solo says of the Millenium Falcon something like "It's the one which made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs."

Now everyone knows that a parsec is a measure of distance, 3.26 light years, not a measure of time, so surely this is an error?

Of course it is not.

It is hardly necessary for me to name my references for you to know that Han was speaking in the vernacular familiar to FTL spaceship pilots. The major risk in long runs is passing close to black holes, so ships normally take a longer route. While the speeds of the top ships are not greatly dissimilar, small differences in performance can make a significant difference to how close one can go to a black hole, particularly through groups of them. Pilots among themselves thus find it more significant to talk about actual distance travelled compared with spatial distance, rather than confusedly synchronising relativistic clocks in local time.

The Kessel run is famous for having a major black hole cluster, through which only the Millennium Falcon has the speed and agility to manoeuvre, hence its ability to cover an actual distance of 12 parsecs compared with the longer routes for other ships.

Now you understand the real story, which many who have not studied Star Wars properly misunderstand. None of my clear explanation is contrary to anything in Star Wars.

As I said at the time,
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
... any apparent discrepancy in it can be explained away by making shit up, just like Eusebius has done here for the bible.
Old 24th March 2012, 08:42 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanV View Post
3. What we have now as the New Testament is historically reliable, and we can know what the original documents said.
4. What the authors wrote is actually true.
I see. I didn't realize the earth was flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo View Post
Dinosaurs couldn't fit on the ark?
Nah it was because of the bloody termites that came on. They were a bit hungry.
Old 24th March 2012, 09:25 AM
Raptured!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protium View Post
GAH!!!!! Anyone got an answer to the OT?????

What question is answered by religion?
Here is that question:

How can I deliberately delude myself, while selfishly and stupidly accepting as true that I'm not like all species because when I die I will live forever, and indulge like a pig in wishful thinking and false consolation via a book written by the ignorant and fearful, and all without a single shred of evidence?

Answer: religion
Old 24th March 2012, 08:28 PM
-

Woah... coming up with the question without the answer. Like dude, I can totally do that man!

How can I go out in public acting like an absolute fucking stoner without using any mind altering substances and reduce the chance of attracting attention from the police?

Last edited by Sir Patrick Crocodile; 24th March 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 24th March 2012, 08:44 PM
-

Hope you don't mind me bumping your posts here Protes:

Quote:
As my never to be able to meet friend said "Name one ethical statement made, or one ethical action performed, by a believer that could not have been uttered or done by a nonbeliever."
Quote:
GAH!!!!! Anyone got an answer to the OT?????

What question is answered by religion?
As silly (but perfectly valid) answers were provided, the question should be answered by a believer as well. They are reasonable and valid questions. Let's see if the believer can come up with more "serious" answers.

So, Dylan/peterm13 or other theist:
  1. What question is answered by religion?
  2. Name one ethical statement made, or one ethical action performed, by a believer that one could not have been uttered or done by a nonbeliever.
Old 16th April 2012, 09:23 PM

The Answer is 42.
Old 16th April 2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Peterm13, I have started this thread from here.

I invite you, or any goddist, to propose any question to which religion provides answers, not mere assertions or pious hopes, and that answer is coherent, unavailable to science, and would reasonably remain unavailable.

I look forward to any offers.
For perspective: Until very recently in human history, science didn't exist, so religion offered a number answers otherwise unobtainable; such as exactly how life began on earth, which is information that bronze-age civilization could not have known otherwise unless a superior intelligence gave it to them.

It's worth noting that non of the founders of science, most of whom were very religious, never meant for the 2 to be in conflict.

Finely, even after the advent of science, the field of psychology and sociology are the most recent schools of research aside from computer R&D, so even after most of the hard sciences were established there were still many questions and problems only religion could address.

Today, regarding specific questions science can not answer....I don't know. I do know that religion has a more human face and feel, more easily accessed by the average person because religious elements are a part of our social fabric, while science, even psychology and sociology, does not have a comparable platform to interact.

Last edited by Jerry; 16th April 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 17th April 2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
It's worth noting that non of the founders of science, most of whom were very religious, never meant for the 2 to be in conflict.
Not surprising - look what happened to Giordano Bruno