Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old 4th March 2012, 02:40 AM
jireh jireh is offline
Raptured!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 301
Default Re: Please present a compelling explanation why naturalism is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwinsbulldog View Post
Nothing is true. The sum total of the universe is nothing, it is the gradiants that count. Energy/matter uneven from quantum fluctuations. Inevitably, given a replicator, life learns to use some of those gradiants, thus creating itself. The underlying order is a natural product of the chaos. Somewhere, sometime, something falls into a pattern. But we don't notice the non-patterns. Patterns of order grow in the universe, like a crystal in solution.
you put a lot of faith in that, don't you ?

http://www.godsci.com/gs/new/finetuning.html

Carbon chemistry

Lee Smolin (a world-class physicist and a leader in quantum gravity) estimates that if the physical constants of the universe were chosen randomly, the epistemic-probability of ending up with a world with carbon chemistry is less than one part in 10^220.
This epistemic-probability is one part in: 10000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 0.
Epistemic Probability: 0.0000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 1
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 4th March 2012, 04:09 AM
Iseeyouthere's Avatar
Iseeyouthere Iseeyouthere is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: N.S.W
Posts: 591
Default Re: Please present a compelling explanation why naturalism is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by jireh View Post
Snip
So its a low chance... big deal... Nature isn't going to make 100% perfect copies. Doing so would be 'playing god'. Hehehe.
There are many possiblities out there, some we do not know of yet. Patterns among patterns, connections, reactions.

Btw Jireh... the link you provided mentions a 'god'... which 'god' are we talking about here? I assume you are talking about the Islamic god... or is it the Hindu gods... no wait... Odin and Thor, my mistake.
__________________
I'll make mistakes, jump to conclusions, be one sided... But I am willing to learn from this and turn it into an experience rather than a delusion.

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Become evil.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 4th March 2012, 04:20 AM
the_gelf the_gelf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,727
Default Re: Please present a compelling explanation why naturalism is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iseeyouthere View Post
So its a low chance... big deal... Nature isn't going to make 100% perfect copies. Doing so would be 'playing god'. Hehehe.
There are many possiblities out there, some we do not know of yet. Patterns among patterns, connections, reactions.

Btw Jireh... the link you provided mentions a 'god'... which 'god' are we talking about here? I assume you are talking about the Islamic god... or is it the Hindu gods... no wait... Odin and Thor, my mistake.
I like how the poster thought they were being cool by not using scientific notation. It is also funny that they think the number they quoted is somewhat significant and "way out there". Compared to the number of games of Go that may be played in our universe alone, that number it might as well be P=1.

Ahh the uneducated arrogant mind

PS I'm pretty sure it was the god of the internet
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 4th March 2012, 07:54 AM
Sieveboy's Avatar
Sieveboy Sieveboy is offline
Soccer meets facepalm
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Not in bible land, Sydney
Posts: 3,890
Default Re: Please present a compelling explanation why naturalism is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by jireh View Post
you put a lot of faith in that, don't you ?

http://www.godsci.com/gs/new/finetuning.html

Carbon chemistry

Lee Smolin (a world-class physicist and a leader in quantum gravity) estimates that if the physical constants of the universe were chosen randomly, the epistemic-probability of ending up with a world with carbon chemistry is less than one part in 10^220.
This epistemic-probability is one part in: 10000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 0.
Epistemic Probability: 0.0000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 00000 1
A yes, the fine tuning arguement. The universe is very precise at this junction. Therefore God.

Oh Iseeyouthere, you left out Pikkowioki, the FSM and our awesome chimera god Ganethor.
__________________
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 4th March 2012, 08:00 AM
Magicziggy's Avatar
Magicziggy Magicziggy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 971
Default

On reading this thread , is it really true that jireh received a seven day ban for calling a moderator "uncapable"?

And the thinly veiled insults aimed at jireh go unsanctioned.

Legalized bullying.

Oh it's ok.. He's only a religious nutcase.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 4th March 2012, 08:04 AM
Sieveboy's Avatar
Sieveboy Sieveboy is offline
Soccer meets facepalm
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Not in bible land, Sydney
Posts: 3,890
Default Re: Please present a compelling explanation why naturalism is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicziggy View Post
On reading this thread , is it really true that jireh received a seven day ban for calling a moderator "uncapable"?

And the thinly veiled insults aimed at jireh go unsanctioned.

Legalized bullying.

Oh it's ok.. He's only a religious nutcase.
He is known to the mods from other places Magicziggy and we don't know what he said to the mods by email or pm.
__________________
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 4th March 2012, 08:07 AM
Magicziggy's Avatar
Magicziggy Magicziggy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 971
Default

No we don't.

Looks pretty arbitrary to me.
If there's a private exchange involved that should be made clear.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 4th March 2012, 08:40 AM
Worldslaziestbusker's Avatar
Worldslaziestbusker Worldslaziestbusker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: By the sea (I do like it)
Posts: 3,654
Default Re: Please present a compelling explanation why naturalism is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicziggy View Post
No we don't.

Looks pretty arbitrary to me.
If there's a private exchange involved that should be made clear.

Feel free to lob into a discussion with a theist here or at another forum and show everyone how it should be done. Jireh isn't hard to find online and will likely happily take up a discussion with you anywhere they are not already waiting out a ban.
This forum has three years of history of arrogant, slippery theists turning up and trying to bludgeon an argument together out of their hubris, all the while professing how humble they are and that they are a worthless sinner.

It's not as though there is a shortage of opportunities for them to hawk their beliefs in the world. Why should they be given special consideration on an atheist forum?
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 4th March 2012, 08:51 AM
AUSloth's Avatar
AUSloth AUSloth is offline
I AM YOUR DOG
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fundy Lattitude
Posts: 7,096
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieveboy View Post
A yes, the fine tuning arguement. The universe is very precise at this junction. Therefore God.

Oh Iseeyouthere, you left out Pikkowioki, the FSM and our awesome chimera god Ganethor.
@ SB -Fine tuning you say? I thought it was the argument from Tic-tac-toe "noughts therefore crosses".

@ Iseeyouthere- The clear implication of which is Ninkasi Sumerian goddess of beer

@ jireh - from your understanding of Smolin' s work was allowance made for values of physical constants that would narrow the possible range of other constants when coming up with that big array of noughties? Or was it the total number of possible values for each constant in isolation?
__________________
"Here kitty, kitty, kitty ..." Erwin Schrodinger

Last edited by AUSloth; 4th March 2012 at 08:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 4th March 2012, 09:00 AM
Xeno's Avatar
Xeno Xeno is offline
Extant
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Altitude 700 m
Posts: 8,274
Default Re: Please present a compelling explanation why naturalism is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicziggy View Post
On reading this thread , is it really true that jireh received a seven day ban for calling a moderator "uncapable"?
No, it is not true. Jireh actually preached this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jireh View Post
based on your ridiculous decision, biased behavior, being a uncapable moderator, and the commandment of the lord to not throw pearls to pigs, i will not spend time at this forum. It does not deserve the light, which can bring people to know the living creator, and save people of going to hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicziggy
And the thinly veiled insults aimed at jireh go unsanctioned.

Legalized bullying.

Oh it's ok.. He's only a religious nutcase.
If my comments on Jireh's positions were thinly veiled then I apologise for not being more clear. They were not otherwise to the person though, as you will know from reading my posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicziggy View Post
Looks pretty arbitrary to me.
Try doing as WLB says. What looks to you like an attack on the person is a summary representation of the rubbish doled out by Jireh, as you can find out for yourself by seeking information.
__________________
There are no good arguments for gods.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 09:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.