Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #561  
Old 9th March 2012, 05:51 PM
fataardvark fataardvark is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Umina Beach, NSW
Posts: 79
Default Re: Please present a compelling explanation why naturalism is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Irreverent Mr Black View Post
Fuck me, that's three of us told Jireh in a row.

Seems we have better bible-studiers on this side of the fence as well.

At least his theology is on par with his science.
I've been told arguing from scripture is not fair as I didn't read it with the "help" of priests, prayer and directed study guides. Apparently this means I didn't know how to "understand true meaning".
Reply With Quote
  #562  
Old 9th March 2012, 06:13 PM
Logic please's Avatar
Logic please Logic please is offline
Big Tough Girl, with Eloquent Substance...
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Melb (capital of The Nanny State!!!)
Posts: 11,225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebrooks View Post
Yes, the clearest example of the Nuremburg Defense I have seen for a long while.

Some reading material for jireh in case he doesn't understand the context. (but not a lot of hope that he will really)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superior_orders
Erm steve, methinks jireh's already been supplied with that bit of info, a little upthread.

But, it's all good... perhaps for jireh, repetition will be the key to understanding...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by erink View Post
Following the bible is like having a sadomasochistic relationship. With no option of a safe word....
Reply With Quote
  #563  
Old 9th March 2012, 06:15 PM
Xeno's Avatar
Xeno Xeno is offline
Extant
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Altitude 700 m
Posts: 8,274
Default Re: Please present a compelling explanation why naturalism is true

I doubt it LP. For Jireh, repetition is how he avoids understanding.
__________________
There are no good arguments for gods.
Reply With Quote
  #564  
Old 9th March 2012, 06:18 PM
Atrax Robustus's Avatar
Atrax Robustus Atrax Robustus is online now
Smile ... cause some suspicion!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twixt Melbourne and Sydney
Posts: 2,095
Default Re: Please present a compelling explanation why naturalism is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by jireh View Post
Who lives atheism consequently, just does, what is its natural tendency, without care, what society thinks. Life is here and now, and when a atheist dies, according to his world view, then its over, no after life. Why should he not live his life at its fullest ? even if that means, that killing and raping babies is what makes him most happy ? applied atheism means : do, whatever you wish, and pleases you most.
Compare this then, against the murderer/rapist/paedophile who believes that, on acceptance of Jesus as his/her lord and saviour, all sin is forgiven.

To coin an ill-informed and absolutely naive phrase . . . Applied christianity means: do whatever you wish and pleases you most because confession is absolution.
__________________
"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #565  
Old 9th March 2012, 06:23 PM
Logic please's Avatar
Logic please Logic please is offline
Big Tough Girl, with Eloquent Substance...
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Melb (capital of The Nanny State!!!)
Posts: 11,225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
I doubt it LP. For Jireh, repetition is how he avoids understanding.
That is gold.

Every page of this thread, all summarised into one easy-to-understand comment. What a time-saver, Xeno.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by erink View Post
Following the bible is like having a sadomasochistic relationship. With no option of a safe word....
Reply With Quote
  #566  
Old 9th March 2012, 07:20 PM
Sir Patrick Crocodile Sir Patrick Crocodile is offline
-
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 12,377
Default Re: Please present a compelling explanation why naturalism is true

I wonder what jireh thinks about the Book of Peloponnesians.
Reply With Quote
  #567  
Old 9th March 2012, 07:28 PM
loubert's Avatar
loubert loubert is offline
AFA Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Townsville
Posts: 2,931
Default Re: Please present a compelling explanation why naturalism is true

Jireh, what is your position on slavery?
__________________
Prejudices are what fools use for reason. Voltaire

Reply With Quote
  #568  
Old 9th March 2012, 07:52 PM
hackenslash hackenslash is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Antipodes
Posts: 22
Default Re: Please present a compelling explanation why naturalism is true

__________________
In summary, you're still extracting your entire model from your rectum, and using pseudo-philosophical obfuscation and metaphysical navel-gazing to support an unsupportable argument. In other words, you're wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #569  
Old 9th March 2012, 07:56 PM
wolty's Avatar
wolty wolty is offline
One half of
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 16,435
Default Re: Please present a compelling explanation why naturalism is true

Hello hackenslash, your reputation preceeds you. Welcome to the afa forums.

If you would be so kind, a welcome thread would let everyone know a little about you.
__________________
.
.
.

"I've heard it proclaimed Plato is in the top 10 philosophers of all time, and I agree, because disagreeing with him gave the other 9 a foundation to build their own worthwhile philosophy on".----Loki

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Reply With Quote
  #570  
Old 9th March 2012, 07:57 PM
Xeno's Avatar
Xeno Xeno is offline
Extant
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Altitude 700 m
Posts: 8,274
Default Re: Please present a compelling explanation why naturalism is true

G'day Hack. Don't tell me DB and I offered you a tiny temptation.
__________________
There are no good arguments for gods.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 01:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.