Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #81  
Old 6th February 2012, 10:37 PM
Sir Patrick Crocodile Sir Patrick Crocodile is offline
-
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 12,377
Default Re: Atheists I challenge you to try and find any contradictions with my view of after

I see. So lets start here:

Quote:
I believe that after someone dies their consciousness stops
Right.

Quote:
But the creator "recreates" their consciousness they had but in a "divine" form and places it in a divine body (includes a divine brain as well) which resides in a "heaven"
So the entity who started the universe recreates the consciousness and all... But what is it meant by "divine" and "heaven" - what do those two terms mean?

It's impossible to make this mean anything unless those terms are also defined. What does "divine" mean?
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 6th February 2012, 10:41 PM
Worldslaziestbusker's Avatar
Worldslaziestbusker Worldslaziestbusker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: By the sea (I do like it)
Posts: 3,654
Default Re: Atheists I challenge you to try and find any contradictions with my view of after

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewdude View Post
i think you misunderstood my idea

what my idea is.

after a person die. there consciousness stops

but the Creator BRINGS BACK that persons consciousness that had stopped working via death.

that persons consciousness which was BROUGHT BACK by the Creator continues eternally in a type of heavven

that was the view of the after life i was talking about
I have dealt with the practical problems as seriously as I can and you insist of answering the problem I pose with "it's magic."
Without a tenable mechanism and some evidence of it in action, I still can't bring myself to care. You are begging the question and I am sick of it.

"Creator Being can do it because Creator Being can do anything" doesn't solve the problem, it just gives a noun (usually people refer to God) where the solution to the problem should go if one exists. I don't think a solution exists, and I don't think the problem exists, because you haven't shown any evidence that what you propose is happening.

I have been as patient as I can be in trying to get you to think outside your "Creator Being is the acest thing ever" framework and I have failed.

Good day!
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 6th February 2012, 10:41 PM
Thenewdude Thenewdude is offline
Raptured!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 24
Default Re: Atheists I challenge you to try and find any contradictions with my view of after

reply to theworldslaziest

my answers are in cap

Where does the you who is typing to me go when you sleep?
WELL, YOU DREAM

Did you have your persona from birth, or did it require some assembly?
NOT SURE

Are there chemicals which can dramatically change the way you feel regardless of your initial emotional state and recent events affecting that emotional state? TYPES OF DRUGS AND MEDICINES

Do you go from asleep to completely alert and fully functioning, or is some stocktaking required before you know what, who and where you are?
YOU REQUIRE STOCKTAKING

In short, what makes you the you that you think a god will preserve?
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 6th February 2012, 10:43 PM
Thenewdude Thenewdude is offline
Raptured!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 24
Default Re: Atheists I challenge you to try and find any contradictions with my view of after

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldslaziestbusker View Post
I have dealt with the practical problems as seriously as I can and you insist of answering the problem I pose with "it's magic."
Without a tenable mechanism and some evidence of it in action, I still can't bring myself to care. You are begging the question and I am sick of it.

"Creator Being can do it because Creator Being can do anything" doesn't solve the problem, it just gives a noun (usually people refer to God) where the solution to the problem should go if one exists. I don't think a solution exists, and I don't think the problem exists, because you haven't shown any evidence that what you propose is happening.

I have been as patient as I can be in trying to get you to think outside your "Creator Being is the acest thing ever" framework and I have failed.

Good day!
but is my view possible at ALL
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 6th February 2012, 10:44 PM
Thenewdude Thenewdude is offline
Raptured!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 24
Default Re: Atheists I challenge you to try and find any contradictions with my view of after

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
I see. So lets start here:


Right.


So the entity who started the universe recreates the consciousness and all... But what is it meant by "divine" and "heaven" - what do those two terms mean?

It's impossible to make this mean anything unless those terms are also defined. What does "divine" mean?
divine is like a spirit

heavven is a place where you go to live forever after death
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 6th February 2012, 10:46 PM
Sir Patrick Crocodile Sir Patrick Crocodile is offline
-
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 12,377
Default Re: Atheists I challenge you to try and find any contradictions with my view of after

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewdude View Post
divine is like a spirit

heavven is a place where you go to live forever after death
So then what is a spirit?

And also, about this heaven... what's it like?

(I notice that when answering questions about definitions, you almost always end up with one obscure word which can have multiple definitions)
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 6th February 2012, 10:46 PM
Sieveboy's Avatar
Sieveboy Sieveboy is offline
Soccer meets facepalm
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Not in bible land, Sydney
Posts: 3,937
Default Re: Atheists I challenge you to try and find any contradictions with my view of after

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewdude View Post
reply to theworldslaziest

my answers are in cap

Where does the you who is typing to me go when you sleep?
WELL, YOU DREAM

Did you have your persona from birth, or did it require some assembly?
NOT SURE

Are there chemicals which can dramatically change the way you feel regardless of your initial emotional state and recent events affecting that emotional state? TYPES OF DRUGS AND MEDICINES

Do you go from asleep to completely alert and fully functioning, or is some stocktaking required before you know what, who and where you are?
YOU REQUIRE STOCKTAKING

In short, what makes you the you that you think a god will preserve?
As an accountant, stocktaking means "counting stock" for the purposes of verifying accounting records with actual "stock" on hand. "Stock" means physical goods, usually held for the purposes of sale, consumption in a production process or for use in maintaing machinery in good working order. How does this relate to your expression of stocktaking?
__________________
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 6th February 2012, 10:51 PM
Logic please's Avatar
Logic please Logic please is offline
Don't believe everything you read.. that's called "gullibility".
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Melb (capital of The Nanny State!!!)
Posts: 12,404
Default Re: Atheists I challenge you to try and find any contradictions with my view of after

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewdude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
Can you define "The Creator" please.
a creator who is the entity that started the whole universe
Thanks for that - we've never seen a general description of "creator" before...

Please don't be obtuse. The questions are about the specific "creator", "heaven", divine" and "spirit" that you claim are necessary agents in your "hypothesis".

The burden on proof is therefore on you to define these, and provide the evidence for them and their properties / abilities.

Handy Tip: profound-sounding rhetorical questions, and "it is possible AT ALL" wonderings, do not substitute for evidence.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by erink View Post
Following the bible is like having a sadomasochistic relationship. With no option of a safe word....
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 6th February 2012, 10:56 PM
Worldslaziestbusker's Avatar
Worldslaziestbusker Worldslaziestbusker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: By the sea (I do like it)
Posts: 3,654
Default Re: Atheists I challenge you to try and find any contradictions with my view of after

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewdude View Post
reply to theworldslaziest

my answers are in cap

Where does the you who is typing to me go when you sleep?
WELL, YOU DREAM
I thought I was done with this, but since you took the time to answer the initial questions, here are some that stem from them:

Is the you who exists in those dreams the same person?
Do you have the same abilities and limits?
What happens to that person when you wake?

Quote:
Did you have your persona from birth, or did it require some assembly?
NOT SURE
Do you have extensive experience of children?
If not, come back when you have seen a human being "booting up" between the ages of zero and two years. Considerable assembly is required. We are not souls in temporary bodies, but animals who learn who to be through iterations of experience tempered by genetic pre-dispositions.

Quote:
Are there chemicals which can dramatically change the way you feel regardless of your initial emotional state and recent events affecting that emotional state? TYPES OF DRUGS AND MEDICINES
Do you need any further evidence that what you are experiencing as consciousness, with all its intricacies and subtlety, is a neurochemical framework?

Quote:
Do you go from asleep to completely alert and fully functioning, or is some stocktaking required before you know what, who and where you are?
YOU REQUIRE STOCKTAKING
Again, this seems to me to be evidence that rather than a fixed persona with a capacity for infinite progression, we are a framework of sensory inputs and processing. Read some Oliver Sachs for edifying and terrifying insights into how fragile that framework is, and how tiny changes in that framework can affect massive, sometimes catastrophic changes in how we perceive and interact with the world around ourselves. It's all chemicals. Note that I didn't use the word "just" in that phrase? It's chemicals and it's wonderful. It's also short lived, so make the most of the wonderful chemicals while you have the privilege. Please stop wasting my time and yours with eternal life fantasies until you have some plausible evidence.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 6th February 2012, 11:15 PM
Iseeyouthere's Avatar
Iseeyouthere Iseeyouthere is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: N.S.W
Posts: 591
Default Re: Atheists I challenge you to try and find any contradictions with my view of after

Burden of proof on you.
You have no sources/evidence to back your claim.
Raarrrk. Icey want a biscuit.

Is the challenge over yet? I don't see him scoring any 'victories' over us with his wacky claims and lack of backing up.

Quote:
a creator who is the entity that started the whole universe
Refer to my "Who created the creator" posts a few pages back AND post a source to back your claim.

Besides... Anyone can spout crap.
The sky is not there , the oceans are made of lemonade, I am the second Jesus Fucking Christ and my dad is an asshole.
__________________
I'll make mistakes, jump to conclusions, be one sided... But I am willing to learn from this and turn it into an experience rather than a delusion.

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Become evil.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 03:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.