Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Old 14th June 2009, 02:29 AM
herping and derping
Administrator

Default Re: goddamn it

heya again

Does not all your interpretation of the texts rely on it being divinely inspired?

How are you so sure, this is the word of a god, also one that is passed to sheep herders in the early bronze age, and not now?

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?
Old 14th June 2009, 07:07 AM

The Cross wrote:
Quote:
Athiesm is a "school of thought" in a philosophical sense, albeit one that is completely unrestricted. What I meant was, existentialism is the major view taken by athiests.
My atheism starts and ends with my disbelief in gods. No "school of thought" required. Take a guess at my feelings about life, death, art, abortion, racism, politics, sport - anything and everything. I'll bet you don't even get close...and the next atheist you meet will probably have completely different opinions on all of those subjects.

Do you believe that Zeus exists? No? Then, in that respect, you are an atheist. That's all there is to it. You deny the god, but you don't join an atheistic "school of thought."

According to Wikipedia: Existential philosophy is the "explicit conceptual manifestation of an existential attitude" that begins with a sense of disorientation and confusion in the face of an apparently meaningless or absurd world.

That doesn't apply to me. I just plod along, doing what comes naturally, and hoping for the best. No sense of disorientation (unless I have a dizzy spell). No confusion (unless you ask me to pat my head and rub my belly at the same time). No sense of meaningless (we're here because we're here). And I don't find the world absurd (it's cause and effect all the way down).

I just want to let you know that I carry no philosophical baggage with my atheism. I don't believe that supernatural entities exist and that's the end of it.

You and I could stand together and list off all manner of supernatural characters and we'd probably agree about the non-existence of all of them - except Yahweh. I say he doesn't exist and you say he does. That may well be the only difference between us.

Last edited by youngmoigle; 14th June 2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 14th June 2009, 10:12 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cross View Post
Let's just say in the context of our world, the Bible makes complete sense and more is more coherent than any other religion. It does not contradict any form of science, and it's influence on the development of mankind has been invaluable. According to Christian Existentialism and the Bible, me trying to explain to you how I believe in God is pointless. Faith is a personal journey.
Welcome to the forum, but don't be surprised if you end up marooned on Fantasy Island.

This is the part of what you have said that makes the least sense. The Bible makes no sense. None whatsoever when taken as a whole. It contradicts what we know of cosmology, evolution, basic biology, basic palaeology, basic astronomy and plenty of others. It's influence on "mankind" (I would prefer "humankind") is unable to be determined objectively given that we cannot compare it to what would have occurred without it. I think, however, it is fair to say that its impact has been just as good as it has been bad. Purely in terms of "development" I would argue that it has been largely detrimental and has delayed the onset of modernity by a significant margin through events like the destruction of the library of Alexandria, the suppression of dissenting opinions and the selective editing of history.

Faith may be an individual journey but this, IMHO, invalidates it socially. Science is a collective journey.

Quote:
Imagine if we knew for a fact that God existed. Would there be much point to life?
Imagine for a minute he does. How does that give a point to life?
Old 14th June 2009, 12:00 PM
Ehh?
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cross View Post
I am not "taking away" or "adding words" into the Bible though. I am merely interpretating what is there.
Which is what people have been doing for centuries... re-interpreting from their own understanding, trying to cover whatever excuses need to be "proven". Next thing you know it is reprinted in text and pow! a new religion, cult or following emerges.

There is only one bible right? One true interpretation? Then get all the different religions together to decide between them which of their interpretations is actually true, get them to see eye to eye, believe the same thing and then create one almighty religion, then try and convince us.

Hey, you might just be on the road to world peace if you succede!
Old 14th June 2009, 12:53 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protium View Post
OK I've read enough. This is the usual garbage I've come to expect from a believer. Superstition and fantasy.

Some of our readers will prefer not to have to read these brain farts all through the forums so .....

Welcome to Fantasy Island
I second that...when I read The Cross' introduction, I groaned out loud, here we go again...yawn! the same old tripe about the bible being philosophy; do these people even read the bloody thing? It's a book of barbarity and butchery, not philosophy...a text that's been used all the way through history to justify acts of savagery, hatred and cultural imperialism; when the Conquistadors marched into South America they went with their bloody bibles and their crosses; it was used to justify slavery, the continued hatred of homosexuals and the second class status of women; you can shove your bloody philosophical bible up where the sun don't shine The Cross, as there are some of us on this forum who are far less tolerant than others here. I'm one of the less tolerant ones, because I've studied for many years the sickening history of Christianity and its weapon of mass misery, the bible, and after all these years, my tolerance has hit rock bottom, and I will no longer listen to the vacuous 'arguments' that it's relevant, allegorical (who is to say that it is and who is to say which interpretation of these allegories is correct?), 'inspired by god' but only in some parts, that it doesn't contradict itself, when it's the most contradictory mound of collected confusion ever written and read, and this is why you're forced to try and wiggle out of it by calling it 'allegory'...an allegory for what? When 'god' is telling men to rip open the bellies of pregnant women and dash their babies heads against rocks, what is that an allegory for? Do tell...

So, if you take the time to actually read the f...king thing, especially the OT, you will see it's about as philosophical as a mass mincing machine; the bodies go in, the bodies come out as mulch...all on the orders of your lovely divine presence.
Old 14th June 2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
OK I've read enough. This is the usual garbage I've come to expect from a believer. Superstition and fantasy.

Some of our readers will prefer not to have to read these brain farts all through the forums so .....

Welcome to Fantasy Island
With all due respect, Protium, I'm kinda at a loss to understand the censorship here of "brain farts". Hasten! I use the word "censorship" lightly because I understand it's a moderated forum, but hear me out (if you dare

Without the brain farts, ANY forum is kinda neutered and dim-witted. Creativity rulez, just like Jesus said: "Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light!"

Well, mebbe Jesus didn't say that, but his father was a carpenter and we all know how Karen met a grizzly end when she stopped eating, pretended to be on a diet, and became a poster child for every bouffant-haired, James Cameron sci-fi film leading lady. FTR, Arnie rode a HONDA in the first Terminator film. A 750-4, but a Honda nonetheless.

"He's NOT the Messiah! He's a very naughty boy!"

"Jesus died for your sins. I commit them so his martyrdom isn't meaningless."
from Mister Pervert's Book of Proverbial Stuff
Old 14th June 2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Irreverent Mr Black View Post
The forum wasn't created perfect, but it hopes to evolve intelligently.
Big grins from me, my friend. Dare I say you should NOT have encouraged me to post upstairs ;-) Things always end up back in the basement.

Old 14th June 2009, 01:47 PM
AFA Member

Some Biblical philosophy:

"Every one that is found shall be thrust through; and every one that is joined
unto them shall fall by the sword. Their children also shall be dashed to pieces
before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished."
(Isaiah 13:15-16)
==================
"And we utterly destroyed them, as we did unto Sihon king of Hesbon, utterly
destroying the men, women, and children, of every city. But all the cattle, and the spoil of the cities we took for a prey to ourselves." (Deuteronomy 3:6-7)

"And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to remain."
(Deuteronomy 2:34)
=================
"And to the others he said in mine hearing, Go ye after him through the city,
and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity: Slay utterly old and
young, both maids, and little children, and woman: but come not near any
man upon whom is the mark; and begin at my sanctuary. Then they began at
the ancient men which were before the house." (Ezekiel 9:5-6)
================
"If ye will not hear, and if ye will not lay it to heart, to give glory unto my
name, saith the LORD of hosts, I will even send a curse upon you, and I will
curse your blessings: yea, I have cursed them already, because ye do not lay
it to heart. Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces,
even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it."
(Malachi 2:2-3)
=====================
"Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a
plague among the congregation of the LORD. Now therefore kill every male
among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying
with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying
with him, keep alive for yourselves." (Numbers 31:16-18)
=====================
Of course I"ve taken them all out of context and these biblical quotes are really very philosophical and allegorical...
Old 14th June 2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post

Of course I"ve taken them all out of context and these biblical quotes are really very philosophical and allegorical...

I like Isaah,

Isaah,Isaah, Isaaah... etc.,

It's like vaudeville without the tennis raquet and the Groucho nose and mustachio...

Old 14th June 2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I don't see it as censorship. Nothing has been removed or altered, merely moved to an appropiate space that suits OUR forum.
So basically all believers introduction posts will pretty much be moved here then because from what I can see so far, none have been able to do so without the topic turning into an argument lol not that I have a problem with that
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death - George Carlin (R.I.P.)