Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Old 9th January 2012, 07:29 AM
Raptured!

Default Re: FXR lets his cranky out (for some definitions of "cranky")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
Unfortunately when you split a thread there is a timeline issue whereby you cannot insert a post before the first split explaining the split.

If a thread has been split, typically it is because the thread has gone so off topic it is necessary to preserve the original by doing so.

About the thread title, it is also a tricky one as the title has to be created. In this case unless you talk in the third person, most people will pick up on what's happened. You have given me an idea though I will discuss with the mods.
Thanks Fearless, it appears to me moving the thread here and making it look like I wrote something I didnít is just a petty act by a small minded person. I donít see why the title and author canít reflect the correct information despite the technical considerations.

1. Can anyone tell me who created this thread here and gave it a title that appears as if I was the author?

2. When was the PM facility disabled and why have he PMís I had archived been deleted or made unavailable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
Aside from this, your post comes across passive aggressive and somewhat rude itself. Your post is quite disrespectful and I hope you consider curbing the attitude. There is no need for it. Thanks
There is a cultural difference here in terms of the use of language and back round. Likewise anyone using words like ďfuck this or thatĒ or ďI see your bollocks andÖĒ (see Protinís posts) might appear aggressive when they may not be. There can be a number of reasons including aggression but that's no excuse for not answering simple basic questions that might allow the debate to move to a definite subject.
Old 9th January 2012, 08:03 AM
Raptured!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjt View Post
It would seem that I may be about to let my cranky out. I cannot let this go unchallenged.
The PM system is just that, PRIVATE
To PM someone, then post about it, and allure to the content, and use the outcome of the PM (regardless of what it is, in this case non-reply) to try to make oneself appear the more reasonable, or hard done by or whatever is underhanded, very poor form and very very childish.

I don't care who is PMing who about what, this type of behavior is most disappointing.
Really! The existence of the PM system is not a secret.
[my bold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjt View Post
Good luck with the yes or no! Would you mind if I pm you on the other? Have an employee is the thing. Cool if you'd rather not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protium View Post
I received a PM yesterday and one just now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protium View Post

Both Forum Runner and Tapatalk use the forums database to display information. Neither of these applications store data.

I can't understand why your PM's SENT folder would not display data on a laptop but it is visible in a handheld device.

You are welcome to skype me to resolve it if you want. I will PM my address.

ADD: I don't know what DB means regarding not having a PM function.
In the interest of balance and fairness will you both be having your PM facility disabled?
Old 9th January 2012, 08:08 AM
Extant

FXR, the thread title says "FXR" not "I" and the thread commences with a post you created. What is your problem with that?

About what exactly are you talking anyway, if not your own statements in the OP? If you would like to abandon the OP's statements and start a new subject, just say so.
Old 9th January 2012, 08:12 AM
Raptured!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Irreverent Mr Black View Post
I may have to poke my head in here, although I do not wish to.

I cannot understand a few things:
  • Why FXR would think my presence or participation is necessary for him to join a general discussion on a public forum: I perceived that he was somewhat upset with me, and was content to leave him discuss with others, in the hope that things might be more congenial;
  • When I pointed FXR in the direction of that very large thread that contains discussion relating to the AFA working definition of atheism, with "Incorporates matter commencing here" he seems to have stuck at a dead link on the first post, and gone no further. Why? There is so much more on that thread, and I could not imagine that first post would occupy somebody's attention for so long. A link with a 404 at the end should not be an impasse.
It seems FXR doesn't understand me, and I take issue with this kind of personal jibe:
All this thread derailing, and still no defence of the dig.
The reason for asking you whether you wanted to continue a particular discussion was to establish which subject would be discussed. You talk about derailing a thread after doing just than and now you've continued the same sniping.

You're now claiming that the link you wanted me to read before continuing is suddenly not important. Make up your mind and you might be understood.

Quote:
Any answer I give would require you to have used some of your precious time and actually read the "definition" discussion thread, as so much hinges on matter already covered there.
If you cannot be bothered, why should I go to any trouble on your behalf?
First you want me to read a definition that you provided a link to as a condition of continuing the argument and now thatís fallen down because the link is dead youíve changed tack once again.

Quote:
Begins about here.

Incorporates matter commencing here.

And without those, your Myers matter cannot be satisfactorily dealt with.

(Jings, I went back through your posting history: I bet you're not popular with the home team since late July.)
This is again the same condition for continuing the discussion which is the dead link you provided.
Old 9th January 2012, 08:13 AM
Extant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXR View Post
Really! The existence of the PM system is not a secret.
[my bold]

In the interest of balance and fairness will you both be having your PM facility disabled?
If you find yourself unable to distinguish between privacy of the medium and of the message, then it is good that you have no access to PM while you have the opportunity to learn
Old 9th January 2012, 08:19 AM
Raptured!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
FXR, the thread title says "FXR" not "I" and the thread commences with a post you created. What is your problem with that?

About what exactly are you talking anyway, if not your own statements in the OP? If you would like to abandon the OP's statements and start a new subject, just say so.
Xeno The way the thread appears it's not clear that I didn't write the title of the OP. My screen is on the left below the thread title. Some people do have a habit of referring to themselves in the third person even though I find that a bit weird my self.

I can't be talking about my own statements in the thread title in reference to the OP because I didn't write the thread title.

Last edited by FXR; 9th January 2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 9th January 2012, 08:31 AM
Raptured!

Quote:
If you find yourself unable to distinguish between privacy of the medium and of the message, then it is good that you have no access to PM while you have the opportunity to learn
So Xeno if revealing the contents of a PM is such a problem then you'd condemn Protium doing so as in the example? I thinks this is all just a great deal of to do about nothing. The examples were found easily after one or two searches but I'm sure I could find one that's exactly precisely the same as the one in my post down to the merest teeny-weeny detail and there'd still be a problem.
Old 9th January 2012, 08:34 AM
Extant

Quote:
Xeno The way the thread appears it's not clear that I didn't write the title of the OP. My screen is on the left below the thread title. Some people do have a habit of referring to themselves in the third person even though I find that a bit weird my self.
When reading Caesar in Latin translation class one was taught that to refer to oneself in the third person is an affectation to be abjured. One avoids it and does not expect it, so I would not fuss too much about the title . It could change again. That happens.
Old 9th January 2012, 08:47 AM
Raptured!

Quote:
When reading Caesar in Latin translation class one was taught that to refer to oneself in the third person is an affectation to be abjured. One avoids it and does not expect it, so I would not fuss too much about the title . It could change again. That happens.
You might tell Mr. Black.

There are two main possible subjects here as I see it. One is the coining of the term "professed atheist". I already know the kind of a hue and cry that can cause. I do since have what might be a better term but hostility is a better test than civility I find. The other is what's meant by the term atheist.

If you want to discuss one or other or if anyone else wants to dispute, refute or come up with an alternative terms or argue one way which ever way let me know. You'll have to do it on a thread because.......cue the sad music.....they took away me PM's.....

It's beer time here on the foggy sod and I'm not helping the homeless this week so I'm back on daytime hours.
Thank you and good evening.
Old 9th January 2012, 09:45 AM
Extant

Protium has found the source of the whining and stopped it already. Here is what I was drafting at the time.

Quote:
You might tell Mr. Black.
Tell him what? That he can change thread titles? I think he already knows, whereas as you seem not to have a clue what is meant by other people's posts, or you do not want to know.

Quote:
If you want to discuss one or other or if anyone else wants to dispute, refute or come up with an alternative terms or argue one way which ever way let me know. You'll have to do it on a thread because.......cue the sad music.....they took away me PM's.....
The medium for discussion is the appropriate thread or threads to which you have been pointed. Stop whingeing.

Quote:
Thank you and good evening.
and good bye.