Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Education

Education How it is and how it should be. The current system and those attempting to subvert it.

Old 21st August 2011, 08:13 PM
-

Default Re: Mother is punishing me for telling the school counsellor I'm an atheist

Perhaps if she just thinks it is a phase it may be better to let her believe that. Of course when you become an adult and are still an atheist then she'll realize you are serious. Probably not a good idea to convince her it isn't a phase.

Well really though if it was just a phase of puberty, you'd think everybody would temporarily become atheists as teenagers. Not really the case and some tend to become more brainwashed and more into religion than ever. Weird shit.
Old 21st August 2011, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Mother is punishing me for telling the school counsellor I'm an atheist

Seems your mother is more concerned about HER religious beliefs being upset than yours. In effect, you are capsizing HER beliefs, not your own at all. And if she thinks belief is somehow "genetic", that indicates how poor her reasoning skills are in this arena.

I don't fancy your chances at getting any reasonable resolution to this. As the old saw goes, you can't reason people out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.
Old 22nd August 2011, 07:21 AM
Explorer of Inner Space

I think your mother is right - this is just a phase you are gooing through. This often happens around adolescence. Young people suddenly develop some strange idea that there is no such thing as an invisible sky fairy who waves a magic wand and creates the entire universe, along with all life forms. Some even go as far to say that they don't believe some bloke who claims to be the son of god was born of a virgin mother! Next thing you know they are denying that the great flood happened, that Noah stacked an ark with heaps of animals or even that Jonah lived in the belly of a fish! Can you believe it! They truly reject these known facts.

I can sympathise with you though because I went through a similar phase when I was around 13. So far that phase has lasted almost 40 years, much to my mothers displeasure. I am sure I will grow out of it soon!

Old 23rd August 2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
I think your mother is right - this is just a phase you are gooing through. This often happens around adolescence. Young people suddenly develop some strange idea that there is no such thing as an invisible sky fairy who waves a magic wand and creates the entire universe, along with all life forms. Some even go as far to say that they don't believe some bloke who claims to be the son of god was born of a virgin mother! Next thing you know they are denying that the great flood happened, that Noah stacked an ark with heaps of animals or even that Jonah lived in the belly of a fish! Can you believe it! They truly reject these known facts.

I can sympathise with you though because I went through a similar phase when I was around 13. So far that phase has lasted almost 40 years, much to my mothers displeasure. I am sure I will grow out of it soon!
I'm going to guess that you're being sarcastic
Old 23rd August 2011, 03:59 PM

I'm 31 and married with kids and my catholic parents still wonder where they went wrong with me....

They're always worried about what others think.

You're young and so it's hard because you have to live with it, but one day you'll be independent. It will get easier and she'll get over it.

Good luck
Old 23rd August 2011, 10:29 PM
It's how I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
I'm 31 and married with kids and my catholic parents still wonder where they went wrong with me....

They're always worried about what others think.
"What's the harm?", so many people ask.

Well, any system of belief that encourages one to think that others are somehow defective certainly ain't conducive to getting along well with others in the playgroup !

Gary

John Sessions: Arrogance?
--== QI (Quite Interesting): Season 3 - Episode 4 ==--
Old 24th August 2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentally Saturated View Post

Well, any system of belief that encourages one to think that others are somehow defective certainly ain't conducive to getting along well with others in the playgroup !

Gary
Exactly.
Old 24th August 2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Atheist View Post
Quote:

Gary
Exactly.
...like you just did.

Careful there - the harm can cut both ways.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:12 PM
It's how I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post
...like you just did.

Careful there - the harm can cut both ways.
If you're suggesting that anyone here is saying the OP's mother is "somehow defective", then that's a bit of a stretch.

There's a fair bit of a difference between thinking someone is wrong with their viewpoint, and thinking there's something actually "wrong" with them.

Parents who muse "where did I go wrong?" in such instances are just downright insulting but, of course, they don't see it that way..

Gary

John Sessions: Arrogance?
--== QI (Quite Interesting): Season 3 - Episode 4 ==--