Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Old 20th June 2011, 08:12 PM
Raptured!

Default Re: Caliope on "spirituality" and "the soul"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protium View Post
FFS.. this is the stupidest bollocks I've read for months. I can't believe that someone who thinks like this walks around with normal people and votes!
That's the reality for those that have no spiritual life, everything that is not tangible and scientifically verifiable is garbage to them.
Old 20th June 2011, 08:13 PM
Ehh?
Super Moderator

At least Caliope remembered to capitalise the 'h' in 'him'.

Caliope, you realise if the tables were turned we would have been banned from your average religious forum.

I hope you are getting something out if this. I'd like to believe it would encourage you to reflect over what people have generously contributed.

I am sure you had no intention to challenge yourself coming here but do you feel you have done a service to your god?

Do you think this is what He would want? Honestly?
Old 20th June 2011, 08:14 PM
Raptured!

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dogs View Post
So, my "free will" condemds me to burn in Hell for eternity?
There's only volunteers in Heaven and hell. Yes.
Old 20th June 2011, 08:18 PM
Explorer of Inner Space

This thread has moved a long quite a bit since I first saw it, so I am sorry to go back to a previous issue but I just couldn't leave it alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliope View Post
Well the last census indicated that 68% of people identified themselves as Christian.
Australia is a Christian nation, it still holds Christian values.

Do you have any idea how offensive it is to lump everyone together into what you refer to as a christian nation? How dare you label us all in such a way just because you like to fantasize that many others agree with your delusions! An apology is in order for your offensive statement!

At the last census 70% of people chose to identify themselves as having a religion. So logically 30% of people chose not to identify with any religion. This is not a trivial number of people! And there are of course many people who are of religious persuasions other than christianity. Only around 7% of Aussies actually go to church so that gives some indication of how little our society values religion. And yet you somehow feel that it is appropriate to refer to us all as belonging to a christian nation.

And in fact even if the majority of people in this country do follow christianity that gives you no right to claim it as a 'christian nation' anymore than it would be acceptable for you to label the country a 'white nation' just because the majority are from an anglo saxon background - how insulting would that be to the indigenous people of this country, and all the others of varied races that make Australia the great nation that it is.

And you mention "it still holds christian values" Would that be christian values such as stoning homosexuals to death, killing people for adultery, killing children for cursing their parents. Or god choosing to drown virtually the entire population of the earth because its creations behaved badly (not forgetting that it was god that knowingly created humans in such a way that they would behave badly). Take your immoral christian values and create your own christian nation far away from me!

Quote:
I don't know whether you guys accept the census results or not.
No we don't accept the census data. The way the question on religion is worded leads many people to mistakenly mark that they are religious when they in fact for all practical purposes are not. Church run polls indicate a higher level of atheism than recorded in the census. It is widely predicted that the numbers of non-religious will increase at the next census so I would be careful about quoting census data to support your contention.

Old 20th June 2011, 08:20 PM
Raptured!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
At least Caliope remembered to capitalise the 'h' in 'him'.

Caliope, you realise if the tables were turned we would have been banned from your average religious forum.

I hope you are getting something out if this. I'd like to believe it would encourage you to reflect over what people have generously contributed.

I am sure you had no intention to challenge yourself coming here but do you feel you have done a service to your god?

Do you think this is what He would want? Honestly?
I must thank all of you for at least hearing a completely different point of view, I truly am impressed with the level of maturity that allowed this.

We really do have completely opposing positions, and it truly is a credit to you to hear that opposing position.
Old 20th June 2011, 08:22 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
What do you mean? I am genuinely explaining the soul and spirituality from my experience of it.
There is no scientific data for spiritual realities and an atheist can't send probes or instruments into the spiritual realm, but his soul is free to experience the spiritual.

It all comes back to disposition of the person, if they want to love God or hate him, God just grants the desire of the heart.
He doesn't want people to enter against their will, but to volunteer to know Him, or not.

When a soul contacts God he contacts Love, Light, Goodness, Peace, Joy, Happiness, and Life, and depending on his openness and disposition he receives more of these, because these are the attributes of God.

Likewise when a soul rejects God all those attributes leave the soul, because without God those attributes can not exist in the soul.
The soul then takes in all the opposing things to Gods attributes, and what is left of Gods attributes departs the soul and returns to God from whence it came.

Hate, is all that exists after love departs, anguish is all that exists when peace departs, fear and dispair is all that exists when hope departs. Beauty departs and ugliness remains, sadness fills the soul when Joy and happiness departs.

With God the soul is the kingdom of Heaven, without God the soul becomes the kingdom of hell, where all light and goodness is extinguished forever.

God grants free will to all to choose or reject Him.

All He does is humbly respect the souls final decision.
Bullshit. Answer some questions.

@Goldenmane3
goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com
Old 20th June 2011, 08:24 PM
GET BENTon

Can you or can you not explain how immaterial things exist? Not scientifically, but a priori?
Old 20th June 2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dogs View Post
So, my "free will" condemds me to burn in Hell for eternity?
no, its Predestination that does that. God chooses you or he doesn't, despite all the wibble about free will, original sin, or what-ever.
Old 20th June 2011, 08:28 PM
Raptured!

Quote:
Many fundamentalist forums would have speared you in a flash, yes I agree, but they have done the same to me as well.

I'm just glad that people can articulate their positions on a few forums without censorship these days.

It is warming where ever you find it.
Old 20th June 2011, 08:30 PM
Explorer of Inner Space

Quote:
We really do have completely opposing positions, and it truly is a credit to you to hear that opposing position.
We have heard the opposing points of view many, many times. We keep waiting for someone to actually come up with a decent argument in favour of the existence of their god, but we wait in vain.

Many on this forum have not just listened to the opposing view, but have come from that viewpoint themselves. Most active atheists know more about religion than religionists know about atheism, and indeed know more about religion (and yes, there is a study that supports this). Unfortunately it seems very few religionists take the time to study atheism. I have repeatedly asked religious people how many atheist books they have read and the answer is inevitably 'none'. How can you choose to believe something if you have only examined the 'pros' but not bothered to seriously evaluate the 'cons'

Last edited by BlueDevil; 20th June 2011 at 08:33 PM.