Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Global Atheist Convention Forum

Global Atheist Convention Forum All discussions regarding the AFA's Global Atheist Conventions

Old 13th April 2012, 03:00 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: GAC bits'n'pieces

Nothing much to whine about yet. I've met some really interesting people. I can attest to how cold it gets here in the evenings. That a my 3G signal dropping out all the time would be my only complaints
Old 16th April 2012, 02:51 PM
Here come the drums, here come the drums!

It looked fantastic. Really. Don't worry about the idiot. Atheism of itself is no indicator of either IQ or EQ

You done real good Guv.

GACing & Tapping
Old 16th April 2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Protium said View Post
I stage designed the Closing Panel with the chairs and shuttered profile lighting and attempted to make it as stunning as I could as I realised it would be an historical event and on camera close up the set looked awesome.
The set did indeed look awesome - you did good.

It's a bit hard to screen convention attendies for wing nuttiness. Yelling out at / heckling RD seemed to be one of the tactics of the Pell cheer squad on Q&A the other night. Unfortunately it does seem to put RD off a little.
“I contend that we are both Atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours” – Stephen Roberts
Old 16th April 2012, 03:10 PM
Explorer of Inner Space

Did anyone else find Sam Harris's presentation just a little bit odd?

I am actually a fan of mindfulness meditation and there is some evidence of it being psycholgically and medically beneficial but it seemed a strange thing to do at a GAC

Old 16th April 2012, 03:38 PM
Ehh?

His meditation session put me to sleep within the first 30 seconds and I 'miraculously' woke when he asked me to. So I have NFI what he said during that time ha ha. I'll have to wait for the DVD.

LP might have some more info on your query.

I actually got a fair amount from the first part of his presentation but after my 'snooze' things got a little blurry for me. Very tired I was.
Old 16th April 2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
BlueDevil said View Post
Did anyone else find Sam Harris's presentation just a little bit odd?

I am actually a fan of mindfulness meditation and there is some evidence of it being psycholgically and medically beneficial but it seemed a strange thing to do at a GAC
Not if you know Harris's work. He's looking for the 'spiritual' centre of our brain. The physiology that predisposes us to 'look for god/s' & in a respect maintains it's worth finding a way to cultivate the benefits associated with being superstitious with the mumbo jumbo removed. It was an exercise in understanding where reality resides & how we can manipulate our experience of it. And it was perfect for my hangover!
Old 16th April 2012, 05:24 PM
There will still be cheese

I was with Fearless, in the land of nod at the meditation part...

The set looked a bit odd till I realised it was designed to look like CH's apartment and then I was all "ahhhhhh...".

No to an Full in-depth examination of the bibble. Harry Porter maybe... at least Harry Porter has a plot.

_____

If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men. Baron d'Holbach
Old 16th April 2012, 05:41 PM
Minister for Religious Genocide
Super Moderator

Location: Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Quote:
Protium said View Post
A winge!

I stage designed the Closing Panel with the chairs and shuttered profile lighting and attempted to make it as stunning as I could as I realised it would be an historical event and on camera close up the set looked awesome.

What happens at the start of Richard Dawkins first chat?

Some stupid ignorant cunt in the audience yells out some garbled shit and puts RD off!

It's all on video, it was fucking annoying and I would love to know who it was so I can ensure they have restricted access to the next convention.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I hear you Protium. I was up the front taking photos, and some tosser put Dawkins off. Some smart-arse remark about George Pell. Ruined the vibe, it did.
Old 16th April 2012, 05:52 PM
Raptured!

Quote:
Lord Blackadder said View Post
I hear you Protium. I was up the front taking photos, and some tosser put Dawkins off. Some smart-arse remark about George Pell. Ruined the vibe, it did.
I think he yelled "Don't apologise to George Pell!"

This came because Richard had just apologised for the possibility that he may have given the impression that he didn't repect believers, when what he actually meant that he disrespects their religious beliefs. It was along those lines anyway.
Old 16th April 2012, 05:54 PM
Minister for Religious Genocide
Super Moderator

Location: Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Quote:
Centauri said View Post
I think he yelled "Don't apologise to George Pell!"

This came because Richard had just apologised for the possibility that he may have given the impression that he didn't repect believers, when what he actually meant that he disrespects their religious beliefs. It was along those lines anyway.
True, but it was completely unesscessary. An historic occassion, especially considering the tribute to The Hitch beforehand, and then... that. Just not cricket.