Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Global Atheist Convention Forum

Global Atheist Convention Forum All discussions regarding the AFA's Global Atheist Conventions

Old 9th April 2012, 09:23 AM

Default Re: If you're going solo, what did your friends say?

may start with drunkeness and debauchery at pub quiz, but will def be sober for the convention..............perhaps i'll just be drunk with awe?
Old 9th April 2012, 06:46 PM
User in Limbo

Quote:
jjcrazi said View Post
@ Andy, I read comments on page 1 and then had to stop. Quite sad instead of people asking genuinly what its about they go into straight out ignorant mockery. Can't be bothered with people like that.
Meh, there is a few there like that, but deeper into the thread there was a conversation regarding the definition of athiest v agnostic. There is some smart people there, and there is some atheists, all very capable of reasoned debate. When the god botherers get involved, it usually turns against them and they retire from the conversation.

I stayed out of it for the best part this time.
Old 9th April 2012, 07:30 PM

Interesting reading all the comments in here, seems that atheism is surrounded by a fair bit of apathy in the general public? I brought it up with one friend, his response was "I agree with it, but why bother going to a convention?" Other friends have given me "the look" when I tell them what i'm going to. Funny thing is i'm almost sure they would enjoy it and find it interesting if I could just force them to be there.
I wonder how much of it has to do with the stigma surrounding religion and the hard work the other side is putting in to paint atheism as a religion. I fucking hate that.
Old 17th April 2012, 07:15 AM

Seems nobody could be bothered to reply to your post dilbadoon.

Meh, whatever.

Old 18th April 2012, 09:53 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
dilbadoon said View Post
Interesting reading all the comments in here, seems that atheism is surrounded by a fair bit of apathy in the general public? I brought it up with one friend, his response was "I agree with it, but why bother going to a convention?" Other friends have given me "the look" when I tell them what i'm going to. Funny thing is i'm almost sure they would enjoy it and find it interesting if I could just force them to be there.
I wonder how much of it has to do with the stigma surrounding religion and the hard work the other side is putting in to paint atheism as a religion. I fucking hate that.
Yeah I agree with you 100%. The good news is that I used to be one of those people so it is possible to become a "radical Atheist". No so much with the suicide bombings and the child indoctrination or the oppression but more in terms of saying I'm an Atheist and making an effort to promote a positive image for non-belief. After the GAC I am now thinking that there is more that I want to do. I'll be contributing to the AAI and I really must join the AFA when I next get paid. Unfortunately I am both money and time poor . Hopefully when I am settled into my new job 6-12months I'll have more free time at which point I can look into what else there is that I can do. I'll do a search and if I find nothing I will likely start a thread on things to do.
Old 19th April 2012, 02:21 AM

Quote:
mophosophical said View Post
When I mentioned to two of my best friends that I was flying down to Melbourne for it, I was met with this look... a look my vocabulary is failing to label at the moment.. but like they thought I must be joking, like they were hoping I was joking, but at the same instant realizing I was not. Like it was something I should be embarrassed or ashamed about or something. It kinda stung a little actually.

This might have almost made sense if they were religious, but they're not. I was the best man at their completely secular wedding. They would both say they're atheists themselves. I've been friends with one of them about 12 years now, since high school, and the other is his wife, who I've known about 7 years I think. They're no stranger to the fact I'm a serious atheist, they've been subject to my ranting and raving on about religion, and borne witness to me debating with a couple of christians a couple of times.

Immediately after the look the questions were "Are you serious?" from one, "Man.. that's just as bad as <theist friend> going off on a catholic youth trip to Israel" from the other.

My reply was something like "Of course I'm serious, it's going to be awesome. It'll be a 3 day pissup with people who think like me."

Then questions became mocking; "What are you going to do, all stand around talking about what you don't believe in?" To which I started talking about the speakers, comedians, the dinner, the type of crowd that will surely be there and the awesome people I'll surely meet, how Dawkins, Harris, Myers, Krauss, AronRa (all rockstars in my world) were all going to be there!

"I have no idea who any of those people are. Anyway...."

And the conversation shifted on with the air of avoiding a subject.

Upon further pondering while driving home, I figured out the strongest reason I'm going. It's because I got that look, even from my best friends. It's because they don't understand why I'm going that I am going. It's not only the lure of people who think like me at the convention, but the absolute lack of them here (that I know). I'm an alien up here, and I want to feel like there are other members of my species for once.

My friends are great, but none of them read the things I read, watch the things I watch, listen to the podcasts I listen to, get angry at the things I get angry about. And vice versa. We only half overlap on a Venn diagram. I want to mostly overlap with some people! Not in a dirty way, but I won't rule that out either
Nailed it! Precisely how I feel....