Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.

Old 4th July 2017, 08:07 PM

Smile My introduction

I am sorry but my first posting accidentally went into a 'reply' rather than a new thread. Here it is again. Hello everybody, it takes a lifetime sometimes to come to certain conclusions about religion to overcome the indoctrination imparted by the clergy. I presume you can call me now an Atheist. I am not accustomed yet to this label but in for a penny, in for a pound. I look forward to some informative and interesting posts from the members here. I believe in inquiry rather than blindly accepting information that purportedly represents fact.
Like Blue Lightning liked this post
Old 4th July 2017, 08:18 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Default Re: My introduction

Hiya, welcome to the forums.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 4th July 2017, 08:24 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

Hi.

You must explain this Perry Rhodan thing. Is a new one for me.

Old 4th July 2017, 08:56 PM
There will be bacon

Welcome aboard, I.T.

It gets comfortable, this disbelief thing, but it doesn't allow one to vegetate.

I hope you enjoy the forums.

Won't somebody park a bus in front of the implosion?

Old 4th July 2017, 09:13 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Loki said View Post
Hi.

You must explain this Perry Rhodan thing. Is a new one for me.

Ok call me befuddled, someone who doesn't know this Perry Rhodan thing? That's a new one for me as well!

Welcome, Perry Rhodan was an interesting read during my early sci-fi days, and strangely enough it's something you remember, like Asimov, Clarke and Dick, when you forget many other things!
Old 4th July 2017, 09:16 PM
AFA Member

Hi Icho Talot., welcome to the forum.
Old 4th July 2017, 10:15 PM
Omu'sata

Gudday Icho
Old 4th July 2017, 10:40 PM
AFA Member

Hello
Old 5th July 2017, 08:30 AM
Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

Welcome.
Old 5th July 2017, 09:41 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Icho Tolot said View Post
I am sorry but my first posting accidentally went into a 'reply' rather than a new thread. Here it is again. Hello everybody, it takes a lifetime sometimes to come to certain conclusions about religion to overcome the indoctrination imparted by the clergy. I presume you can call me now an Atheist. I am not accustomed yet to this label but in for a penny, in for a pound. I look forward to some informative and interesting posts from the members here. I believe in inquiry rather than blindly accepting information that purportedly represents fact.
Welcome Icho!

The religions have done a real number of the atheism or agnostic thing. Understandable really. If gods defy reason and evidence then all you have as a recruiting tool is to tout blind faith as a virtue. Obviously, the churches don't want people thinking for themselves, or questioning dogma. And of course, only their religion is the right one. Having no faith at all is beyond the pale, and such people are both dangerous and evil.

This relates back to the "You can't be good without god" claim. Pretty obviously false, because there have been many psychopath murders belonging to this faith or that.

Part of it is ignorance about biology. Specifically, the way biological and cultural evolution can create a moral sense, in humans, and other social animals. Since atheists do not believe in god, of course that lack of belief will inevitably make them evil.

The riposte to that claim is that does a believer only behave well, when he thinks god will punish bad behaviour or reward good behaviour. For the atheist, the buck stops with us. If we do evil, or do good, it comes from us, and no where else.