Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.

Old 8th June 2017, 09:14 AM

Post The right to freedom from religion

I enjoy atheist forums and debating issues on many topics. It took me a long time to get over my Catholic education as a child. My Dad was an atheist, but to marry Mum he had to agree to have us raised as Catholics. At least at home, I wasn't indoctrinated, and although Mum was a firm believer (Irish background) she didn't shove it down our throats but we had to attend Mass. It was the nuns and priests at school that literally put the fear of God into me. Anyway, I managed to get over it and move on, although I have a deep hatred of the Catholic Church.

I firmly believe in human rights, which to me does NOT INCLUDE RELIGION. People have the right to feel safe, to food and shelter and medicine. I do not think it should be a 'right' to believe in harmful and evil doctrines that hold humanity back, divide us and wreak havoc across the planet. The huge benefits we have achieved through science, and our understanding of our origins have progressed humanity. We do not need any kind of belief in deities, it is irrelevant and a waste of our time. The voice of religion grows ever louder and it must be countered with logic and reason. We must continue to demand our right to freedom from religion.
Like MarkFL, two dogs liked this post
Thank Voltairine thanked this post
Old 8th June 2017, 09:56 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: The right to freedom from religion

Hello and welcome to the forum
Old 8th June 2017, 10:08 AM
There will be bacon

Welcome aboard, MickeyD.

I hope you enjoy the forums.

Won't somebody park a bus in front of the implosion?

Like MarkFL liked this post
Old 8th June 2017, 10:17 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
mickeydoolan said View Post
I enjoy atheist forums and debating issues on many topics. It took me a long time to get over my Catholic education as a child. My Dad was an atheist, but to marry Mum he had to agree to have us raised as Catholics. At least at home, I wasn't indoctrinated, and although Mum was a firm believer (Irish background) she didn't shove it down our throats but we had to attend Mass. It was the nuns and priests at school that literally put the fear of God into me. Anyway, I managed to get over it and move on, although I have a deep hatred of the Catholic Church.

I firmly believe in human rights, which to me does NOT INCLUDE RELIGION. People have the right to feel safe, to food and shelter and medicine. I do not think it should be a 'right' to believe in harmful and evil doctrines that hold humanity back, divide us and wreak havoc across the planet. The huge benefits we have achieved through science, and our understanding of our origins have progressed humanity. We do not need any kind of belief in deities, it is irrelevant and a waste of our time. The voice of religion grows ever louder and it must be countered with logic and reason. We must continue to demand our right to freedom from religion.
Welcome MD.
Old 8th June 2017, 10:37 AM
Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

Welcome.

From a document on which I am working:

Quote:
The right to disbelief

Section 116 of the Constitution of Australia precludes the Commonwealth of Australia (i.e., the federal parliament) from making laws for establishing any religion, imposing any religious observance, or prohibiting the free exercise of any religion. Section 116 also provides that no religious test shall be required as a qualification for any office or public trust under the Commonwealth.

While the above protection is given to religious freedom in the Australian Constitution, it is far from comprehensive. This constitutional protection is, however, limited in a number of ways.
• It applies only to the Commonwealth and does not extend to legislative or other action by the States.
• It does not apply to all Commonwealth government action but only to legislation or actions taken under legislation.
• It does not, in its terms, protect beliefs that are not religious (although the High Court has interpreted it to extend to atheism and agnosticism at least).

The right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion is recognised in Article 18 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR).

Article 18 protects not only the ‘traditional’ religious beliefs of the major religions, but also non-theistic and atheistic beliefs, as well as the right not to profess any religion or belief.

The Australian Human Rights Commission observes that the freedom to "have or to adopt" a religion or belief necessarily entails the freedom to choose a religion or belief, including the right to replace one's current religion or belief with another or to adopt atheistic views, as well as the right to retain one's religion or belief. Article 18.2 bars coercion that would impair the right to have or adopt a religion or belief, including the use of threat of physical force or penal sanctions to compel believers or non-believers to adhere to their religious beliefs and congregations, to recant their religion or belief or to convert. Policies or practices having the same intention or effect, such as, for example, those restricting access to education, medical care, employment or the rights guaranteed by article 25 and other provisions of the Covenant, are similarly inconsistent with article 18.2. The same protection is enjoyed by holders of all beliefs of a non-religious nature.

In accordance with article 20, no manifestation of religion or belief may amount to propaganda for war or advocacy of national, racial or religious hatred that constitutes incitement to discrimination, hostility or violence. As stated by the Committee in its General Comment 11, States parties are under the obligation to enact laws to prohibit such acts.

[Note: In ratifying the ICCPR Australia reserved the right not to introduce further laws to implement Article 20. It did not reject the substance of Article 20, but indicated (as the Human Rights Committee has also said) that Article 20 should be interpreted consistently with Article 19.

The United Nations recognized the importance of freedom of religion or belief in the 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights (Universal Declaration), Article 18 of which states “Everyone shall have the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion. This right shall include freedom to have a religion or whatever belief of his [her] choice.” Similar provisions can be found in Article 18 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (Civil and Political Covenant), as well as other The United Nations Charter (Article 55) and UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights (Articles 18 and 26).

Last edited by workmx; 8th June 2017 at 11:06 AM.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 8th June 2017, 11:45 AM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Welcome Mickey, another ex-Catholic atheist here. I'm surprised the whole edifice of Catholicism still stands after recent revelations.

Quote:
mickeydoolan said View Post
I firmly believe in human rights, which to me does NOT INCLUDE RELIGION.
Well, it depends on what you do with your religion. You have a right to do and say all sorts of crazy things, so in that respect, I think human rights does include religion.

But you don't have a right to force your beliefs on others. Unfortunately this seems to be part and parcel of religion for so many people (e.g. indoctrinating children, religious laws, special treatment). If you take that away, how much is left?
Like workmx, MarkFL liked this post
Old 8th June 2017, 01:30 PM

Welcome to AFA, Mickey!

I am happy and hopeful when I see religion on the decline worldwide...imagine the potential for humanity once the shackles of dogma and superstition are removed...it can't happen soon enough for me.
Old 8th June 2017, 06:19 PM
AFA Member

The death of religion should be like a voluntary euthanasia type thing, IMHO.

Usually when stuff is banned, it makes it more popular.

The only thing society has a right to do, is impose restrictions on how religious beliefs may influence public behaviour. For example, terrorism for god, forcing kids to take religion classes and a whole shit load of other stuff.

I reckon strict secularism is the way to go. People can believe in any fairy tale they want, but acting on a fairy tale including non-religious shit like anti-vaxx is a no-no.

IF a religious belief or idea really is a self-evident truth, then it will come to pass, even under strict secularism. Strict secularism is actually a level playing field, where idea have to survive on merit alone, and not privilege.

On second thoughts even assuming a strictly secular school system, a child has had three years of life surrounded by the woo of parents and community. So even under strict secularism, it is not really a level playing field because religion has got there first.
Old 9th June 2017, 03:23 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Hi mickeydoolan, welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy yourself here.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary