Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.

Old 30th April 2017, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Meditator - Mystic - Nihilist

If one seeks to purge the mind of all memes and their influence, one must also expunge not just religion and the likes of nihilism, but also language and semantics, cultural norms like democracy. They are all corrupted.

You are right. Even language has to be questioned. It is such a poor instrument to express reality, that one can only make fun of it. Democracy is also a poor form of government. People are not democratic as we can see in recent election. Only when my party wins that is right. As you said: all en everything is corrupted. But what can we do?
Change the world? How many tried to do it and the world became more corrupted.
Old 30th April 2017, 11:07 PM
What Me Deluded?

azikur, pipbarber is alluding to a book out recently, Homo Deus: a Brief History of Tomorrow.

https://www.bookdepository.com/searc...arch=Find+book

Harari's previous book Sapiens: a Brief History of Humankind is also brilliant.

https://www.bookdepository.com/searc...arch=Find+book

Homo Deus is most disturbing. A dystopia which it seems is inevitably to be visited upon our children and theirs, then no more us, as it would seem. Those few who can afford the bionic and cybernetic upgrades and tissue regeneration biotechnology will carry us on sharing the world and galaxy with algorithms and Artificial Intelligence, AI.

We can avert that eventuality, the demise of 'natural' humanity in its billions.
Old 30th April 2017, 11:23 PM

As i am a junior member i don't know how to open a new forum and under what threat.
Could you please help me.
Old 30th April 2017, 11:30 PM

I have also a strong position, a satirical position. But i know , it is my position , nothing absolute. I can give it up anytime and take another position.
What do you mean by "something informative" for you? What kind of information?
Old 30th April 2017, 11:34 PM
AFA Member

Maybe this one, general chitchat about atheism? http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/...isplay.php?f=6

Click on sub forum and hit 'new thread' in the top left hand corner. If it develops in a different way the mods will move it to the right spot.
Old 1st May 2017, 04:31 AM
It's good to know when it's time

Quote:
akizur said View Post
I have also a strong position, a satirical position. But i know , it is my position , nothing absolute. I can give it up anytime and take another position.
What do you mean by "something informative" for you? What kind of information?
I will presume you were replying to me, Azikur.

I'd like to learn about how you think. You've come here to do something: is it intercommunication?

There's a meaning there, but the meaning there doesn't really mean a thing.
Come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing,
Come and see...

Old 1st May 2017, 07:42 AM

I have a question for Akizur: "Meditator - Mystic - Nihilist" - are you all of these at once, does this describe a serial progression (was a meditator, stopped that and became a mystic, then finally abandoned all, be be a nihilist), or is the truth something else?

Come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing,
Come and see...

Old 1st May 2017, 09:25 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
akizur said View Post
MOst people need some form of religion to have something to hold on. I have nothing against it. They need a big father who cares for them, as they believe.
There is no given purpose, right, only the purpose i give to myself. So i don't feel i have any duty to others. No obligation to love my neighbor or my country, if i don't want to. Not even self improvement is obligatory. I can become become a better tennis player if i want, if not, nothing lost.
The only thing wrong with relying on a daddy [imaginary or not], is that if you are an adult, the buck is supposed to stop with you.

But we are still social animals, and that tends to impose on us certain rights and obligations. Legally, and ethically. Social laws, particularly against cheating, have been around [probably] since the first bacteria.

A social group tends to produce social goods, thus a cheater causes a burden to the rest of the group.

The problem with social rules is that they are sometimes, or often, dysfunctional to some degree. For example, religions will often require everyone to believe, not only in god, but a particular kind of god. It is no surprise therefore that many religious rules actually harm both society and individuals.

Torturing or murdering an individual that refuses to believe in a god, or even the specific nominated god of that society or tribe is pretty barbaric.
Old 1st May 2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Quote:
akizur said View Post
MOst people need some form of religion to have something to hold on. I have nothing against it. They need a big father who cares for them, as they believe.
There is no given purpose, right, only the purpose i give to myself. So i don't feel i have any duty to others. No obligation to love my neighbor or my country, if i don't want to. Not even self improvement is obligatory. I can become become a better tennis player if i want, if not, nothing lost.
The only thing wrong with relying on a daddy [imaginary or not], is that if you are an adult, the buck is supposed to stop with you.

But we are still social animals, and that tends to impose on us certain rights and obligations. Legally, and ethically. Social laws, particularly against cheating, have been around [probably] since the first bacteria.

A social group tends to produce social goods, thus a cheater causes a burden to the rest of the group.

The problem with social rules is that they are sometimes, or often, dysfunctional to some degree. For example, religions will often require everyone to believe, not only in god, but a particular kind of god. It is no surprise therefore that many religious rules actually harm both society and individuals.

Torturing or murdering an individual that refuses to believe in a god, or even the specific nominated god of that society or tribe is pretty barbaric.
Yay reciprocity!

Altruism has also been shown to have positive results, and examples turn up in the animal world, as well as among us self-important animals.

Come and see...

Old 1st May 2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Atheism does not mean "no god" or even "hate god", it means lack of belief in god. Most folks here are [technical] agnostic atheists, which means something -even gods-, can't be absolutely disproved. Outside of mathematics, that is, or self evident truths like "all bachelors are married". Welcome anyway.
The existence of caring God is disproved every evening in the daily news. If there is another God/s of a non-caring variety it is irrelevant.

If they do not care they cannot help us. "Amen".